pixeltracker

Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Page 2

Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#25Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:34pm

I've seldom seen as embarrassing a display as his interview with George Stephanopoulos.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#26Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:15pm

I hope more business pull of out Indiana and make it a bigger wasteland than it already is. Arkansas is already consider doing something similar.

I do wonder if there is a way to keep federal dollars away from states that openly discriminate. Federal contractors cannot do this, and if there are federal funds to spend on infrastructure, I wonder if that can be used as an additional consequence.

I also wonder if marriage equality becomes the law via SCOTUS if this law can be upheld...

Regardless, I guess you can legislate stupid.

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 04:15 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:24pm

It's a desperate attempt by the right to attempt to counter the growing support and inevitable legalization of gay marriage. But thankfully it is being called out.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#28Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:48pm

Reggie thank you for alerting me to that interview. The same question asked 10 times consecutively, good stuff. Goodbye Mike.

Stephanatic

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#30Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:33pm

I hope Indiana suffers extensively from the backlash.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#31Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:44pm

Me too.

There has been a lot of financial backlash already.

There is no place in 2015 America for this backwards law.

....but the world goes 'round

Liza's Headband
#32Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:11pm

...But we should also hope that the LGBT organizations and pro-LGBT businesses in Indiana do not suffer because of the Asshats in their state government.

FindingNamo
#33Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 3:32pm

Yes yes, we should hope that but unfortunately that's not how boycotts work.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Liza's Headband
#34Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 3:52pm

And you don't feel any remorse over the fact that our brothers & sisters in Indiana, who are not represented by their own state legislature, may also needlessly suffer?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:07pm

So what do YOU think should happen, LH?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:12pm

I hope Indiana Jones changes his name!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Liza's Headband
#38Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:29pm

Kad. I think protesting and boycotting is fine, so long as those already being discriminated against aren't hurt in the process.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#39Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:30pm

"I hope Indiana Jones changes his name!"

If he just changes his name to Indiana Equality Jones on Facebook, isn't that enough?

FindingNamo
#40Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:58pm

I'd just like to hear specifically HOW one supports a boycott of a state from afar while not hurting those already being discriminated against in the first place?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:13pm

"I hope Indiana Jones changes his name!"

Social-media activists are attempting to get him to change his name to "Montana Jones."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#42Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:28pm

Social-media activists are attempting to get him to change his name to "Montana Jones."

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#43Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:34pm

It is for those within the state who are discriminated against, to rise up and attack from the inside while those of us in outer region fight from without. Yes some are going to hurt. Many do in a battle.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 3/30/15 at 05:34 PM

FindingNamo
#44Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 6:08pm

But I'm sure the famous centrist LH must have something in mind that supports a boycott with out hurting his brothers and sisters? I'd like to hear what that is.

Updated On: 3/30/15 at 06:08 PM

bwaychae5192 Profile Photo
bwaychae5192
#45Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 8:32pm

Ok, so I currently go to a small, private, liberal arts university in southern Indiana. Based on people I know on campus and off, there's a LOT of backlash from the general public about this, especially the Indiana residents I know. Quite a few of my friends take issue with the racial discrimination factors that also play into this bill. But I've noticed that there's been a lot of dissent in general regarding the state government's policy decisions as of late - they also did some crazy stuff with public education standards that really ticked off my roommates (who are education majors) and some other primary and secondary school educators in the area that I know.

Considering Indiana (particularly Indianapolis) has been on the rise lately, this really sucks for the state. It sucks for the economy and also for the universities in the state that are known nationally for their arts programs and heavily recruit for these programs outside the state's borders (especially theatre - there are 2 highly-regarded musical theatre schools and a top-10 acting school scattered around the state). There are also some other huge economic beneficiaries, like Drum Corps International, who may leave the state to conduct business.

I'm from eastern Kentucky, which is definitely a little less progressive than Indiana, so this bill is a bit of a surprise. The only right-wing outcry I really experience here is the frequent gathering of pro-life folks outside the Planned Parenthood office down the street from my campus.

EDIT: Let me also add that I haven't seen or heard tale of a single business in at least my area that has actually refused service to someone for this reason. I think they realize that our city has such a huge proportion of college students (2 universities plus a couple community colleges) and is in such a rocky financial state that they honestly couldn't afford to turn away anyone. (I see a LOT of backlash from local businesses here, particularly bars)

Every living soul has got a voice - you've got to give it room and let it sing.
Updated On: 3/30/15 at 08:32 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/30/15 at 10:40pm

Remember: what is different about this Indiana law is that it accords businesses the rights of individuals. No other state law has done that.

It's a very important distinction. Supporters of the law are trying to spin this as "19 other states have the same law."

Don't let them. It's NOT the same law. It's much, much worse.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#47Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 6:42am

^Thank you; that is absolutely being overlooked in the discussions and coverage. And Pence spin. It is vital that the impact of this distinction be viewed for what it is.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#48Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 8:26am

The law doesn't go into effect until June or July, I believe.

But there was a report of a business refusing to serve what they believed to be a gay couple.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#49Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:00am

But according to Gov Pence it isn't about discrimination.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos