Ramin's Replacement

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:23pm

I know he extended his contract with aladdin to next year but I would really want to see adam Jacobs as Jean valjean.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#26Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 4/24/15 at 10:50pm

They need to bump up Aaron Walpole. That man was an absolutely stunning Valjean. By far the best in this production (and of others I've seen in the past).

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#27Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 4/24/15 at 11:36pm

"I heard a recording of Nehal Joshi's Valjean from the Dallas Theater Center production and I've since fallen in love with the idea of him doing it on Broadway."

I attended this, he was very good ... certainly nothing close to Ramin, in my opinion, but very good.

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 11:36 PM

broadwaysfguy
#28Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:14am

Alfie Boe would be really fun or John Owen Jones

i really like adam pascal but have a hard time hearing him in the role

does anyone know why JOJs last broadway run was so brief? i saw him in phantom in london 2002 and he was off the charts incredible!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:21am

I don't think the issue was with him necessarily; I think he joined the production as it was falling in sales and he happened to be there for Le End Time.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#30Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:42am

John Owen-Jones is a wonderful Valjean, and my personal favorite. When his honey timbre and gentle falsetto meet for bring him home he brings the house down! I personally think Valjean is his best role as a character actor, even better than the phantom. The role of JVJ is like a second nature to him, he broke records as the youngest Valjean in history and he has been performing it since 1997 I believe. 

Re: being "booked with another project." At best the new musical we hope that John will star in is unfinished and behind schedule. The concept album for An American Victory was supposed to have been released summer of last year-- there has been no explanation about the delay, and I do not know of a new projected release date for the album. Multiple members of the cast have sadly also been changed, the great Ruthie Henshall and great Hugh Panaro are no longer attached to the project. As far as I'm aware John is still interested in the show, but it looks like we have a long way to go. John might very well want something more concrete in the meantime like Les Mis, An American Victory may never even be made. Though I hope this is not the case. I would like to see him create a role in what sounds like a very serious drama.

John has already expressed his interest in returning to Broadway, though it is a little unlikely it will be in Les Mis. I think there are some arguments for why he should be considered. His reputation is larger than it was in 2007 when he first came, he is a very beloved actor, and his 2010 tour was very well-received. If Earl Carpenter is going to perform the Javert this would be an opportunity to recreate the chemistry he and J.O.J had in their previous show, they were both great. 

Lets go back to Hugh Panaro too. He and J.O.J I think have a similar vocal range, I consider John  the finest tenor voice on the West End and Hugh the best we on Broadway have to offer. If not John, why not Hugh then? He is a very capable character actor, had experience with the role  both in 2008 and 2013, the later of which he won an award for. He brings the excitement and prestige of a familiar face-- a recent phantom and broadway veteran with decades of experience, yet we might also avoid the matinee idol salaries. He's had time to rest from the phantom and may be ready for a fresh start. He sounds like a sensible choice to me, and would sing the score divinely.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#31Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 10:23am

Hugh Panaro, YES PLEASE! ^

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

obssessed
#32Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 1:11pm

the show is not selling well, so  unless they book  in a major name, they will close it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 1:14pm

How about Cuccioli?

Poster Emeritus

Odie2
#34Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:11pm

What's considered not selling well? The show routinely grosses over $700,000 a week.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:25pm

What does it cost to run?

As long as it is not operating in the red and there is no show in th wings waiting for the theater, it will close.

Poster Emeritus

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#36Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:30pm

"How about Cuccioli?"

I could be entirely wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Cuccioli had some difficulties with singing the Jekyll parts in the J&H score, since he's apparently a baritone. If that's true, would he be okay singing Valjean?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:41pm

Wasn't Alfie Boe in talks to star in the Les Miserables revival when it was announced in late 2012? I swore I read that on Playbill

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#38Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:42pm

Yes, I remember reading that, too. ^ Shame it didn't end up happening.

Odie2
#39Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:44pm

I wonder how much it costs. I saw the original and this revival and actually enjoyed this one more. But I imagine the original cost more to run with the turntable and larger orchestra. 

Doesn't seem to me that Les Miserables needs a big star name to continue running. Like the Phantom it has a built in fan base and the book and score is the attraction. 

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#40Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 11:10pm

Not only does Les Miz have its own fan base, it has Phantom's, probably because there is so much cross-pollination between the two shows.  If any Phantom has not played JVJ, it's probably because he's played Javert instead.

I do believe that Ramin as JVJ will be a hard act to follow.  I was not impressed with him in POTO or on the Love Never Dies album, but he was amazing as Javert. I wonder if he'll be followed by another ex-Phantom, specifically baritone Norm Lewis, who is taking singing lessons, according to an interview I read or saw on television.  He said he wants to increase his tenor range so he can have a chance to play JVJ someday. Unless he squeaks during "Bring him Home," he'd be celestial.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

LizzieCurry
#41Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 11:37pm

Ramin's great, but there have been so many men who've done this role already for the past nearly 30 years all around the globe that saying the next Valjean will be a "hard act to follow" is reaching a bit.

Less-than-stellar Valjeans haven't sunk the show and exceptional Valjeans don't neccessarily pack them in either. It just is.

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 11:37 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#42Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/1/15 at 11:52pm

I thought Ramin was fine when I saw him, but I've definitely seen/heard better Valjeans out there, both vocally AND acting-wise. In my opinion, it won't be hard for them to find a good replacement.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#43Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/2/15 at 12:06pm

I am hoping for Alfie Boe... or Nathaniel Hackmann to be promoted Ramin's Replacement

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#44Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/2/15 at 12:56pm

"Because this production stated that they were trying to learn from the mistakes of the last revival and not rely too heavily on what they've done before. Of course anything is possible, but it seems more likely that they'd try to bring in someone fresh."

John Owen-Jones originated Valjean in this production when it first opened in 2009 in Cardiff. 

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#45Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/2/15 at 1:07pm

It is Alfie Boe.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#46Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/2/15 at 1:11pm

Oh God, I hope Alfie Boe will never return to Les Miz... the voice is excellent, but his acting is simply atrocious.

What about John Cudia? He did a nice job with Valjean in Chicago some years ago and it has been too long since his last performance on Broadway... his Phantom was stunning!

Updated On: 5/2/15 at 01:11 PM

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#47Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/5/15 at 2:40am

I've heard MTI is no longer licensing Les Mis past June 30 of this year due to an upcoming tour. Not sure when or if we'll get an official announcement, but it would be odd for them to restrict licensing unless the show is going on the road again.

LizzieCurry
#48Ramin's Replacement
Posted: 5/5/15 at 8:10am

8/12 so far: http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000134