GIGI Reviews

A1st
#75GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:45pm

Honestly I am rooting for this show. But while we are at it, is fiddler definitely getting a Shubert house? If not that would be my first guess.  Other than that, Amazing grace? Maybe Tuck, but just note that terrence mann is playing Javert in CT over the summer (that may mean nothing actually)

Updated On: 4/8/15 at 11:45 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#76GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:47pm

RW3 I bet the press team is working their butts off tonight to find pull quotes.

---

These are NOT the reviews that Jenna Segal wanted...gonna be tough for this show as it had a great bump in attendance last week for spring break and I hear the Simon was filled with girls & moms so who knows what the future holds? I guess we'll have to wait and see what nominations they receive on the 28th!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Annetteiago
#77GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:49pm

"My guess is that Finding Neverland and Gigi make money meanwhile On the Town, Fun Home and The Visit die in a hole. Lets hope for bad reviews Something Rotten and It Shoulda Been You!!"

Philly and people think I am a troll. Philly are you like two and incapable of making sense. Because you are well very different. If you must write on this forum at least do another profile. Because the people are getting old and tired of you

Annetteiago
#78GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:50pm

"I give this the week after the Tonys"

On The Town is doing bad and this is doing good please god help us

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#79GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:59pm

Should we say that First Wives Club is down for the count? I think I'm the only one who truly LOVED the show in Chicago. If it were to go on with it's transfer plans, maybe the Simon?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#80GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:02am

Transferring First Wives Club is bad enough- sticking it in the Simon would just ensure it closes before it opens.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#81GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:03am

"Philly and people think I am a troll. Philly are you like two and incapable of making sense. Because you are well very different. If you must write on this forum at least do another profile. Because the people are getting old and tired of you"

okay what are you talking about? hmmm Liza perhaps? You just made a new profile didn't you? 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Annetteiago
#82GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:05am

""Philly and people think I am a troll. Philly are you like two and incapable of making sense. Because you are well very different. If you must write on this forum at least do another profile. Because the people are getting old and tired of you"
okay what are you talking about? hmmm Liza perhaps? You just made a new profile didn't you? "

I just think you should not be on this board. I personally think you are too stupid to comprehend anything

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#83GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:06am

I agree with Kad totally!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto
#84GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:07am

"Yet you have been wishing for On The Town to close since day 1 even though it's one of the best reviewed shows of the season...."

I never once said that I hope On The Town closes. Im rooting for EVERY show. I just didn't like it at all, and said that I predict Gigi being nominated over OTT. That still might happen too.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#85GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:15am

I will not stoop to name calling as some have done

However,there is no way on earth Gigi will be nominated for revival especially over universally praise OTT. It just ain't happening.

Poster Emeritus

Phillypinto
#86GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:21am

hmm idk i don't think on the town is a slam dunk either. A lot of people mentioned how boring it was for them, and just didn't like it.

bwaybby
#87GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:26am

it'll be OTTC, OTT and King and I . There are only 3 slots. That is all Philly, accept it and move on

Phillypinto
#88GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:28am

wait a minute, how do you know theres only 3 slots? Why are you telling me to accept it and move on? You never know

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 12:28 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#89GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:36am

From the Tony rules:

"Where there are five or fewer eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for three eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The three eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fourth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the third highest-ranked show and the fourth highest-ranked show is three votes or less." 

As there are only 5 eligible productions this year, there will only be 3 nominees UNLESS there are fewer than 3 votes separating 3rd and 4th place.  So, it's a safe bet that the 3 nominees will be On the Town, On the Twentieth Century, and The King and I (the two productions that have been critically acclaimed so far and the production that everyone is saying is amazing).  Gigi COULD take the 4th slot, but I doubt enough people are going to vote for it over those other 3 shows to have it be close enough to warrant a 4th nominee.  Don't expect to see it or Side Show score a nomination.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 12:36 AM

Phillypinto
#90GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:53am

or maybe Gigi will get the 3rd nomination over On The Town

Wilmingtom
#91GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:54am

These reviews are pretty much what I expected after seeing the show.  To me it's a "why?" production.  Why take a classic piece of literature about a girl being groomed to be a high-end prostitute then change it in case the subject matter might offend?  Why not just do something like "The Boy Friend" instead?  Lovely to look at but it just doesn't and couldn't work as reconstructed.  It's like silly school productions of "Mattress" that cut the pregnant princess business.  If it's too much for your delicate sensibility, choose another show.  I think nominations for design elements and perhaps Clark are likely.

RW3
#92GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:30am

I know it's Entertainment Weekly, but at least it's something for the press team to work with http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/08/vanessa-hudgens-gigi-broadway-ew-review

A Director
#93GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:46am

It's the show not the theatre.  Gigi could be playing at any theatre on Broadway and still be a flop!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#94GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 6:28am

The show has always been a blatant attempt to recreate My Fair Lady.

As such, it's a pale imitation with a vastly inferior score and some creepy aspects story-wise.

I don't get why there hasn't been a full Bartlett Sher-style revival of MFL instead of this.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#95GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 6:38am

Can we have Annette and Philly locked in a room to duke it out?

THAT would be a hot ticket.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ebontoyan
#96GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 6:45am

I do hope OTT does not get a Tony nom and if it does well doesn't win. OTTC is far superior than OTT.  Of the 10 shows I've seen in NYC in 2015 so far, I thought OTT was the most boring lightweight and the one show of the trips where I left at intermission!!!  

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 06:45 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#97GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:40am

"Can we have Annette and Philly locked in a room to duke it out?"

They are the same person. Main clue: Both end their sentences without periods.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Sushisake Profile Photo
Sushisake
#98GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:41am

Just got tickets (front row center mezzo) for Sunday afternoon. Seems like a mix of reviews (although more bad than good). I find it best never to listen to the critics, but rather judge for myself.

Liza's Headband
#99GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:48am

My favorite part of this entire thread? Philly, who claims to have a college education, trying to explain "subtext," which he did quite unsuccessfully.