Darren Criss in Hedwig

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:24am

But what if he IS wonderful?    

I do agree that I don't see it happening, but it could.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#51Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:31am

If he's wonderful, I'll be thrilled. If that means that huge number of new people can experience the transcendent moment that I always feel during Midnight Radio, how could that be bad? I really want him to be able to communicate the message of the show and not just make this a concert for screaming Gleeks.

But I won't be seeing it. JCM has emptied my bank account the past three months. Not that I'm complaining. His brief run has done more for me than years of therapy...

timisimaginary
#52Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:44am

"Oh stop it people. Let the poor guy put one foot onstage before you tar and feather him. Lord.
And regardless of his screaming fans, Darren was more than servicable in HOW TO SUCCEED. He will be fine."

"more than serviceable" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. i think Hedwig fans are hoping for a lot more than serviceable, and the role definitely demands more than that. but i agree he should have a chance to actually perform the role, and for more than just a few shows, before it's time to pass judgement.

"I don't like the pic... But I absolutely hated the NPH photo too... With that tongue sticking out.  Ugh. I don't think either photo says anything about Hedwig to me.  Oh well, *shrug* I'll be able to save my money... Or buy more shoes.  After JCMs run, I don't know who could get me back to the show, but I have no interest in this guy. "

i think the promo photos have been more about selling the actor than selling the role. i think it started with NPH maybe because they didn't want to show him in full drag and possibly scare off some people, and to make sure he was recognizable as NPH in the ads. hence the makeup-no-wig look that emphasizes the masculinity of the actor over the femininity of the role. JCM was the only exception, since he is so instantly recognizable as and connected to the character.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#53Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:46am

"If he's wonderful, I'll be thrilled. If that means that huge number of new people can experience the transcendent moment that I always feel during Midnight Radio, how could that be bad?"

This times a million. The photo is ridiculous and his fan base could raise some precautions, but the purists are driving me crazy.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#54Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:56am

"i think the promo photos have been more about selling the actor than selling the role."

Bingo. At least in this case it is.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

timisimaginary
#55Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:09am

i would say it's true of all except JCM who actually appears in his stage makeup and wig in his promo shots. the promo shots are all just a guy in makeup. by the time we actually see a wigless hedwig in the show itself, she doesn't resemble anything like the people in those photos. she's a broken down mess by that point. she's not pouting and making sexy eyes at the camera. but it's just a promo shot. it's designed to sell tickets and pull people into the theatre, that's all. what we see in the photos bears no resemblance to what is seen on stage, either in the physical representation of the character or the emotional content, and certainly doesn't give any indication of the kind of performance we'll see from that actor.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#56Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:21am

All posters for all shows/plays are meant do to the same thing - make money, aka sell tickets. There's a lot to be considered.

They are supposed to give an idea of what the show is about, as well as being visually enjoyable, graphically balanced, easy to read, and geared to the proper demographic. 

Some posters are more successful than others. It takes the right collaboration between production and artist. We've definitely had plenty of threads on this topic and I for one, love those threads!

timisimaginary
#57Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:44am

i do like the promo shots. NPH's especially, enough so that i bought the shirt. (i bought MCH's shirt too, and of course JCM's, but NPH's shot is more artful than the others). i completely get why the promo shots are they way they are, and have no problem with it. i just don't want the show or any of the actors judged on the basis of those shots.

i'm not planning on seeing DC, but if i do, i doubt i'll be buying his shirt.

BroadwayFan1231
#58Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:46am

I totally agree! Nothing particularly interesting/eye-grabbing about this...

Hopefully he'll be more captivating in the show!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#59Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 12:47pm

This is a very calculated move to get younger butts in the seats. I hope it pays off. Criss is known more than Rannells, so it should do well. I just hope the pimping out of this show doesn't hurt it.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#60Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:03pm

How come he's not Gay?

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#61Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:47pm

"How come he's not Gay?"

Because he chose not to be. 

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

Wilmingtom
#62Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:02am

I suspect this is an early promo shot and that the final will follow with the wig and denim costume, in line with his predecessors.

RussT2
#63Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:56am

"Well, evtab, John wrote a very impassioned letter to fans imploring them to give Ally Sheedy a chance.  Sometimes you try things and sometimes they don't work.  Sometimes they do.  I look forward to hearing from folks how they think it worked out.

"

I remember how Ally Sheedy worked out. Horribly. It was the worst Hedwig I'd ever seen. I still remember watching the show and never once thinking I was watching a man who had a botched sex change operation. It was more like watching Victor/Victoria.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#64Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:03am

"I suspect this is an early promo shot and that the final will follow with the wig and denim costume, in line with his predecessors."

But then why would they bother?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#65Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/17/15 at 11:14am

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/8-burning-questions-with-darren-criss-sass-makeup-heels-and-hedwig-346987?r=n

2 questions:

1. Was the Chelsea Hotel ever a music venue?

2. How would a 26 year old have seen JCM at Don Hill’s?

Updated On: 4/17/15 at 11:14 AM

gcal
#66Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/17/15 at 11:25am

To answer your questions:

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/nyregion/doubts-over-patti-smith-concert-plan-for-chelsea-hotel-tenants.html?_r=0

2. He never says he saw JCM at Don Hill's.  He saw JCM, who used to do shows at Don Hill's.  Darren grew up in San Francisco, so he certainly wasn't around NYC when JCM was trying out Hedwig stuff. 

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#67Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/17/15 at 12:00pm

Thanks for that, gcal, although it looks like that performance was untimately cancelled, no? And in spite of that one time attempt, I would never bring up the Chelsea when asked about rock n roll nightclubs…

What was JCM up to at Don Hill’s in recent years? And how the hell did I miss that?

InXanadu
#68Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/17/15 at 7:54pm

Chiming in here, old timer from the Jane days. 

I trust JCM/Trask and the producers. I'm also *still* working off the Hedwig PTS from Ally Sheedy. They can make mistakes, to be sure. At least in that situation I wound up seeing Donovan a lot and thought he was terrific. 

Darren Criss isn't going to be my Hedwig. Will I come back for someone special. He's too young to really get this one, in my opinion. 

Monty12112
#69Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:36am

Saw the show with NPH and enjoyed the show.  Didn't get a chance to see the others, but I am excited/interested to see what Darren Criss brings to the role.  Hoping to see the show in early May and will post my review once I see it.

obssessed
#70Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:31am

I did see Criss in How to Succeed and was very disappointed. He could barely sustain the notes. This role is a much more difficult singing role.The power  and breath control is just not there. Not to mention the  weak acting skills.IT doesn't look good.

absolutbitter
#71Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:03am

Playbill posted a live performance of his from just three months ago. Judge for yourselves if it sounds like he can do justice to the Hedwig score live.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#72Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:44am

I'm not a voice professor, but I thought from that clip Darren Criss has a lovely soft musical show voice, but not a strong rock voice, which is what Hedwig needs. But then, that clip is only one song.

timisimaginary
#73Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:45am

well, that's not encouraging.

still, i will wait until i hear him sing something more in the style of hedwig. but yeah, not encouraging.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#74Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 4/21/15 at 3:51pm

I have no clue if Criss will be able to do the part justice and for the most part, this is just me playing devil's advocate, but if 15+ years ago, you had only experienced JCM in his prior musical theatre roles, I daresay no one would have thought he had a voice suitable for the kind of music Hedwig sings either.

Also, at the risk of heresy, JCM in fact DOESN'T have a particularly "strong rock voice".  He has fantastic rock instincts and magnificent interpretive skills, but the instrument itself is not particularly strong -- especially in this go-around -- nor can he really conjure whatever rock "edge" he may have previously been able to offer.  The brilliance in this return to the role is that it doesn't matter.

In any case, whatever Criss does, I don't doubt that he will pale in comparison to JCM, but hey, nearly everyone does in this role.  Suggesting that Criss's voice isn't well-suited to the part, though, doesn't really fly with me until we can hear how he actually sounds in it.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial