Straightest Musicals

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#75Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:01pm

"1.  Because not all masculine boys are straight.  Just as not all effeminate boys are gay.  Basically when you reduce any human being to only one factor: their race, their sexuality, etc it is offensive."

Says the person who literally said Puerto Ricans WOULD NOT LIKE IN THE HEIGHTS. Talk about stupid, offensive stereotypes.  Christ.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 06:01 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#76Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:06pm

"BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO PERPETUATE STEREOTYPES.

Why do we bother?  It is clear (again) that you have no interest in learning/changing/admitting you may have erred.  "

Listen, sweetheart. If I were any gayer, my name would be Gay Gayerson. Philly was just asking a question, nothing offensive about it. So unclutch your pearls and deal with it.

Annetteiago
#77Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:09pm

"What are the straightest musicals out there? I guess in other words, what shows would manly men enjoy?"

I think musicals apply to many demographics and a wide range of people, races, cultures and demographics. I also believe that you should see what shows that you are interested in because musicals are a very personal experience .

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#78Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:10pm

Theatre class? Last time I checked, Philly was already a professional in the industry? You mean 12 year old Neanderthals lie?? 

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

PrinceCaspian Profile Photo
PrinceCaspian
#79Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:13pm

Book of Mormon, Tommy, The Capeman, Hands on a Hardbody...

Annetteiago
#80Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:13pm

"You're just trying to get me to leave the board! Its not gonna work so back off ggersten!"

Oh Philly I am pretty retarded  but even I know that question was retarded. Like what the ****

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#81Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:19pm

So when are we all just going to hit "ignore user" and stop replying to this troll? 

This thread is over-the-borderling offensive. 

I say, starting now, we stop arguing with Philly and just stop replying altogether. Pretend they aren't here. 

If they have no one to argue with, or respond to for that matter, maybe they'll go away.

Who's with me? 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#82Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:53pm

EVERYONE CALM THE F*** DOWN. Jesus, theatre people walk around looking for something to get offended by like no one else. It's like they carry a soap box with them everywhere, looking for an opportunity to stand on it.

You know what? Musicals are pretty gay. I'm a straight guy, so maybe I'm not allowed to say that, but you know what? I've been doing musicals for twenty years and make my living in the theatre. So yeah, take it from me: most of the men who like musicals (okay, who *love* musicals) are gay. So vicariously, this makes the art form of musical theatre, despite the fact that it doesn't have genitals or a sexual orientation, pretty gay.

And there's nothing wrong with that. So people think that it's "unmanly" to attend or perform in musicals. Screw them. By getting so damn upset at the suggestion that the majority of musicals are "not straight" you only empower the ignorant.

SO...to answer the poor original poster's question, here are some musicals which are probably, well, less gay than others:

Damn Yankees

Sweeney Todd

Assassins

Carousel

Ragtime

The Phantom of the Opera

The Pirates of Penzance

Jekyll and Hyde

(There are many others I'm sure)

And actually, since they added the whole romance between the two male strippers to it, AND it's about, well, male strippers, I'd say The Full Monty is pretty damn gay. (It's a show I've performed in, by the way, and one of my favorites.)

But as they said it on Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 06:53 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#83Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:56pm

You go!, The Distinctive Baritone! You are 1000% right.

ebontoyan
#84Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 7:00pm

Well I actually don't have anything against Philly...but yeah it would be great for those people who have something against Philly to just ignore his posts/don't respond.  So I don't need to weed thru these non topic responses! He is asking a question why be so sensitive about it, lecture people, malign Philly's person etc etc! 

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#85Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 7:21pm

Thank you, Distinctive Baritone! I am a straight woman who spends a lot of time in and around the theater, and I have a straight, traditionally "masculine" father who has tried time and time again to find musicals to attend with me and failed because he's not a fan of many musicals, and I too would love ideas on what he might like. Granted, I probably would have phrased it differently, but the request itself isn't bad. Thanks for bringing some reason to this.

FindingNamo
#86Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 7:25pm

Assassins is bi but Phantom is gayer than gay.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Streganona
#87Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 7:35pm

OK Phylly, let's try again.   This is a sincere question, and I do sympathize with your desire to find a musical to please this "manly man."  Maybe he's a new friend, maybe a relative from out of town, maybe he's a fellow student......all we know is that he's "manly" and you're just not sure what to recommend (or tickets to buy).  It's possible that you want to turn him on to the joys of musical comedy.....maybe you just want to make a good impression. Alas, there just isn't a current show that is advertising itself as "The Musical for Manly Men!"  If there were, who would the audience be?  What characteristics would these straight, gay and bisexual "manly men" have in common, to distinguish them from their straight, gay and bisexual  "non-manly" brothers who were seated in a different theater?  

Here's a suggestion, Phylly.  Ask yourself what you know about this "manly man" beyond his sexuality.  What makes him laugh?  Do you suspect he needs a good cry?  Is he adventurous and willing to take a chance beyond his comfort zone?  What is that zone? Does he have any favorite movie musicals? Does he think they are perfect and shouldn't be messed with?   Does he enjoy Disney animated films and watch them even when there are no children around?  Does the thought of seeing them with actual children in the audience offend him?  If he watches  a clip of Next to Normal or Phantom or Jersey Boys or Book of Mormon, for example, which one does he wish were longer?  If he's convinced that musicals are stupid or ridculous or boring, can he tell you? Can you research  a musical that minimizes those elements or turns them upside down? Keep asking questions.   Does he want to "get his money's worth" with elaborate sets and costumes?  If it turns out that he's not crazy about the singing/dancing part, will an exciting/funny/romantic/fast moving book save the evening or is the book unimportant?   If you were choosing a non musical play for him to attend, what would you pick?  Do you think he'd be intrigued or angry at the idea of these characters suddenly  breaking out into song/dance?   Do you think he's a juke box musical kind of guy or does he want  original songs?  Songs he knows he likes already because it's a revival of a musical he loved years ago?   Would  he prefer a minimum/maximum of dancing?  What kind of dance style?  Is any style OK as long as he finds the dancers attractive?  If so, what would his dream dancer look like?  What costume would s/he be wearing? 

And will he be happy afterwards, even if the musical wasn't a perfect choice, as long as it had one  "wow" moment?  One great performance? A star he recognized?  Scenery he could applaud?  At least one ensemble performer who rang his chimes?  Enough laughs to make him sit through the singing/dancing, knowing the next joke is coming?  Comic singing dancing??? Or is he also  a romantic kind of "manly man" who requires a ballad or two? A witty "manly man" who appreciates a clever lyric?   A thoughtful "manly man" who can be moved by a song that ponders the human condition and reveals the secrets of the heart?  Even if you haven't seen every musical now on Broadway, I'll bet that you already have a sense of what to choose for him.  And if you don't know him well enough yet, here's the chance to find out more about who this "manly man" really is.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 07:35 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#88Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 7:58pm

He, he ,he, that's with a short e Jordan. I believe a large part of the straight theater lovers have a problem with gay themes, how else can one explain some of the posts in here?  I go to maybe 2-3 shows a year and at Pippin a few years ago I confided to the stranger sitting next to me that I was excited for the revival, he said to me. "I'm sure it will be gayer than the original".  That was creepy.  It just happens the best original music from this year deals with gay characters.  Too bad.  Homophobia, like racism, is not dead, but it seems to be getting better.  Philly asks an interesting question even if you guys feel it was worded incorrectly.

Stephanatic

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#89Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:20pm

I took a straight to see Book of Mormon and he walked out gay.

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#90Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:26pm

I took Puerto Rican to a Dominican show and he sashayed out gay.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 08:26 PM

ebontoyan
#91Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:36pm

Les Miz

Phantom

Jersey Boys

On the Twentieth Century

Something Rotten

FindingNamo
#92Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:24pm

"Shenandoah" is pretty straight.  There's even a song about brawlin'.

But it's tough.  Musicals are de facto gay.  Even the straight male characters in musicals are gay because they're all played by gay guys.  Except Tony Yazbeck, the world's first non-sybillant Tulsa.

LittleEdieFan
#93Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:29am

Gypsy. Straight guys love burlesque.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#94Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:39am

I took a gay to see Bklyn and he walked out straight.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#95Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:01am

This thread is almost as bad as when he said bisexuality doesn't exist. Someone take away  his computer and phone.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Annetteiago
#96Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:53am

I always considered that there is a strong gay community doing theater so by asking this is kind of like saying I do not like the heart and soul of what is American Theater. 

"What are the straightest musicals out there? I guess in other words, what shows would manly men enjoy?"

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#97Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:18am

Reread what Jimmycurry01 has written, Phillypinto, because it's right on.  Your question was framed in a polarizing way.  

On this board, there are many manly men who are also gay.  We lift heavy things and eat meat and go bowling and (fortunately) love musical theatre and (hopefully) ourselves and (happily) our families.   

Your question was (accidentally) offensive because it assumes that any musical can somehow be divided by "manly" or "unmanly" and in theory, I suppose they can.

However, to do this would be unfair to all of us. Why? Because it limits the experience of the theatre goer. 

Send a guy to a great musical and he's going to have fun, or shed a tear or see a new perspective.  Gay or straight, swishy or butch, same with women.

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."
Updated On: 4/15/15 at 10:18 AM

trpguyy
#98Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:55am

Beauty and the Beast, but not the NETworks tour.

FindingNamo
#99Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:56am

On this board, there are many manly men who are also gay.

Speak for yourself, gurl.

Send a guy to a great musical and he's going to have fun, or shed a tear or see a new perspective.

But probably not.