pixeltracker

Best Revival of a Musical - Page 2

Best Revival of a Musical

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#25Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:54pm

"He's not being disingenuous. He just linked to a host of mixed reviews- that comprises the majority of theatre reviews now."

And he didn't link to NY Times, Associated Press, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Variety, USA Today, Newsday, Hollywood Reporter, AM NY, NY Observer, NY Post, who all had good things to say and could be considered a bigger majority than the seven he listed. Like I said On The Town got better reviews but to classify Side Show as mixed is a misnomer. Crazy when people make up their own stats and crazier that I had to go back and see for myself. 

Up In One

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:55pm

It is a shame due to antiquated rules Sideshow will not be considered. It was first rate and deserves a nod even though it has no chance in hell of winning. The nomination would have been validation that it was a worthy, if not, a misguided effort.

Poster Emeritus

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#27Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/17/15 at 5:19pm

I think people have assumed through the whole season that On The Town will at least get a nomination. 

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#28Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/17/15 at 5:52pm

It is a shame due to antiquated rules Sideshow will not be considered.

I'm sure Side Show will still be considered, it's only a matter of if it ends up receiving enough votes in order to warrant a fourth nominee for Best Revival of a Musical.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#29Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/17/15 at 6:36pm

I remember last year that before Les Miserables even opened a lot of people on here were already guessing how many Tony's it would win. I feel like this is the same scenario from last year. The King and I has a big following and people expect/want it to win best revival.. but On the Twentieth Century is the FIRST revival and it got great reviews.. who knows. I'm just saying that people shouldn't put all their money on a show based on the title.. Heck, On the Town has a great chance as well. I just feel a type of way since The King and I has had countless revivals. *Just my opinion.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#30Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 12:35am

"bjh2115  your being disingenuous in suggesting Side Show got mixed reviews, it went toe to toe with OTT getting positive reviews from a majority of the reviewers.  I will give you that if you rated all the reviews On The Town did better but Side Show got a lot of brilliant reviews and in many of their eyes they were on par with each other. One was able to keep trying to find an audience and wait out the winter the other not so lucky with their landlord. I'm happy to see its grosses picking up with the weather and the tourists but to date it has probably just covered its cost on average over its 30 weeks - not sure how long it can keep that up without some major award wins which now seem unlikely. If the nominators are business based it will give the award to the show that still runs. If they are artistically based depending on how the nominators felt about either show it could go either way. "

Where to begin:

1) It's bjh2114, not bjh2115

2) It's "you're" not "your"

3) I'm not being disingenuous at all.  Do you know what that word means?  I was being completely candid and sincere.  I said the show got MIXED reviews, which it did.  And as I said in my post, while the Times gave it a great review (as did some others), there was a LARGE chunk of the press that did not warm to the show (as shown in the reviews I linked).

4) The 7 reviews I listed vs. the 11 that you listed is splitting hairs.  The definition of "mixed" is that some critics liked it while others didn't. That's what we have here.  If you look back at the On The Town reviews, I'm not sure that'd I'd call any of those negative.  I can count three reviews that have quibbles, but the rest are essentially unmitigated love letters.  Don't believe me?  Check. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-ON-THE-TOWN-Opens-on-Broadway-Updating-LIVE-20141016

5) Your grammar is horrendous.  You rarely form full sentences, so it's hard to take you and your argument seriously.  You sound like a child.  Or worse...Phillypinto.

Updated On: 4/18/15 at 12:35 AM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#31Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 1:54am

Oh I'm sorry mrs bjh2114 are you going to fail me for using bad grammer on a message board? Go bore someone else with your long post 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

sctrojan65
#32Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 1:59am

I saw both On the Town and On the Twentieth Century and think they're both truly deserving of the honor this year.  And I hope one of those two takes it.

I do love The King and I; it's a classic, and has one of the most beautiful scores ever written.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to see this production, but I'm sure it is amazing. I've seen O'Hara sing and she does have the pipes.  A wonderful performer! 

I guess I just can't get overly excited about seeing it win best revival again though. Certainly I know the fact that it has won before should be irrelevant (and it was almost two decades ago), but when you have two other shows that are great too and receiving super reviews, it would be nice to see one of the other two shows get it this time.

I'm sure this production of TKAI is grand and is deserving, but so are the other two.  

As for Chenoweth vs. O'Hara….I was so impressed by Chenoweth's performance, especially considering how the role of Lily requires such razor-sharp timing, and the ability to knock out dialogue and lyrics at such an elevated and seemingly quick and complex level.  

I understand the nuances that can be found in portraying Anna in TKAI, as well, but Lily Garland, when it's done right, creates a wow factor!    And Chenoweth does it right.  It's not just about a beautiful voice and good acting skills.  There's something more to the role that Chenoweth channels so well and so convincingly.  I hope KC gets the nod on this one.

Updated On: 4/18/15 at 01:59 AM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#33Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 2:43am

Lol the 1996 King and I didn't win best revival. It lost to A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#34Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:04am

Seriously, Phillypinto? You can easily google these things.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#35Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:05am

Best Revival of a Musical

Annetteiago
#36Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:05am

King and I It looks so amazing

"Since there will only be three nominees for Best Musical Revival this year ( only five opened) everyone would assume The King And I and On The Twentieth Century are shoo ins. The third spot would go to either Side Show, On The Town or Gigi.  Based on reviews alone I would think Gigi is out of the running. Based on reviews its a close call between Side Show and On The Town - maybe close enough to qualify for four nominations this year? "

Annetteiago
#37Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:07am

"Best Revival of a Musical "

Did you know that production started in Adelaide? And Mr Krik won Australia's first Tony Best Revival of a Musical  

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#38Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 7:25am

It will certainly be the 3 everyone else has listed. My personal vote for the win goes to ON THE TOWN, a production that brought thrilling new life to an under-appreciated classic. THE KING AND I checked off an expected box in an expected way, lovely but not revelatory. I think ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY could and should win best Actress in a musical, but their accomplishment in pulling of OOTT pales in comparison to the alchemy done to make ON THE TOWN come to life again.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#39Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 8:32am

^Though a fourth nominee is still possible if it receives three votes or less between the third nominee.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#40Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 8:53am

Hope Revival award goes to ON THE TOWN or perhaps ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. In both cases, shows that had been forgotten or perhaps written off as second-class shows, have now been given new life in these productions and brilliantly rediscovered. The current THE KING AND I is, at best, a retread of a very familiar show, and imo, after the spectacular opening scene, settles into a very ordinary production, one that takes no risks and presents the original show, in a sacrosanct manner that makes it feel like a museum piece.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#41Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:14am

^ Agree with you in every detail.

sctrojan65
#42Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 1:26pm

^^ Agree with both of you.  I wish I had seen TKAI so I could comment on that particular show, as well.  

The reason I didn't see it though is due to time constraints, and the fact that I have seen it so many times.  Including the Lou Diamond Phillips version.  I wanted to try something different, never having seen OTT or OTTC.  

I was blown away by two shows that could be easily disregarded as dated, and are viewed that way by many. Yet there was definite life breathed into both of them.   You're right.

And the performances were outstanding.  

I have to say that in addition to seeing Chita again, Yazbeck and Chenoweth were absolute standouts in their performances for me.  Real treats! Yazbeck's "Lonely Town" and "Lucky to Be Me" in OTT.  And almost everything Chenoweth belted.  

In fact, after seeing OTTC for the first time now, I can see how this show needs phenomenal performances, otherwise it could fall seriously flat.  

I guess you could say that about any show though, including The King and I.  

But there seems to be more risk involved with OTTC.  If the timing is off, it could throw the whole thing.   And it wasn't.  They hit every mark IMO.

My vote?  OTTC or OTT.  

On Broadway, it seems like a full proof show such as King should be good if you have good performers. Which this apparently does.  The rest should take care of itself.  It's such a perfect musical, as it is. That's been proven time and again. I know there's always the difference between good and great. And it sounds like this version of King is being deemed as great.

OTTC though seems like the type of show that could be more risky and could fall flat if not done well.  And there seem to be more potential doors for this to happen. The fact it didn't fall flat would make it the standout to me over the full proof aspects of a classic like King.

Similarly, OTT can be often deemed and disregarded as corny and outdated by modern audiences, so it needs some major life to keep audiences focused, as well.  And I think it did just that.

"^ Agree with you in every detail."

ebontoyan
#43Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 2:23pm

* Agree on OTTC. As for OTT I didn't like the thin book and all the dancing, was so bored my companion and I left at intermission! The only show of the 10 shows I've seen in NYC so far in 2015 where I left out of boredom. But that's just me

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#44Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 2:43pm

I won't be seeing The King and I or On The Twentieth Century until after the Tony Awards, as that is when LincTix and Hiptix had the best availability when I bought them, so I won't really be able to comment on this category or Actress in a Musical very intelligently; however, I'm just so thrilled that we have at least three really high quality revivals this year! Based on what I've heard about King and I and Twentieth Century, and my experience at On The Town in October, I think any of the three would make a deserving winner. What a great season for revivals!

LAMARK2 Profile Photo
LAMARK2
#45Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:35pm

"Lol the 1996 King and I didn't win best revival. It lost to A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. "

I have been 'lurking' here for many years. I have been associated within the industry for many many years.

I registered today in order to express my sheer and utter delight that this fool has finally been exposed as the ignorant gasbag that he so obviously is.

I find it humorous that phillypinto has not posted since his egregious mistake. Perhaps he has been humbled.

For the record; I'm in the On the Twentieth Century camp.

LaMark

sctrojan65
#46Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 3:43pm

Welcome, LaMark....I loved OTTC, as well. Very vibrant and  entertaining show with superlative performances.

This really is a rich season for revivals.

Updated On: 4/18/15 at 03:43 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#47Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 4:04pm

Tony voters don't give a flying f*ck about the reviews. 

sctrojan65
#48Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 4:09pm

"* Agree on OTTC. As for OTT I didn't like the thin book and all the dancing, was so bored my companion and I left at intermission! The only show of the 10 shows I've seen in NYC so far in 2015 where I left out of boredom. But that's just me"

That happens, for sure. Some things just don't resonate with everyone. The only show I ever left, and this was years ago, was Urinetown. My friends and I just didn't like it.  And yet I know a lot of people did like it. 

Did you see American in Paris, ebontoyan? If so, what did you think of it?

ebontoyan
#49Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 4:21pm

"Did you see American in Paris, ebontoyan? If so, what did you think of it?"

I've decided to pass since I heard it has a lot of dancing, like OTT, only set in Paris.  Altho it did have good reviews, but I decided on OTT after reading the good reviews on this board and other sites.