Which Two Shows?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#25Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:42pm

Again, CURIOUS INCIDENT is choreographed and designed as elaborately as any musical, but is strictly a straight play, and very very good.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:52pm

The Visit and The King and I 

ebontoyan
#27Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:57pm

Something Rotten and the King and I

MVintheheartland
#28Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 11:04am

"Why not consider your boyfriend and not go to a musical. Hand to God is thoughtful and extremely funny."

I agree with this poster. Try throwing a play into the mix. Your boyfriend must be a saint to sit through those musicals. My husband and I have an informal arrangement--I go to New York to see shows (including musicals), he works (interminably) on his 65 Mustang that sits in the driveway in various states of repair or disrepair. I would never force him to see more than one musical (he did like "Jersey Boys").

I agree, "Hand to God".

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#29Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 12:29pm

On the Town and Hand to God (King and I if you insist on two musicals).

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#30Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 1:01pm

Another vote for Hand to God or Curious Incident.

I'm in a similar situation. My husband and I arrive this week for what is becoming an annual tradition in spring, and I've found that throwing some plays in the mix really helps, as he is less fond of musicals. If you have his interest at heart, this is a good choice.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 1:50pm

Thanks for the tip about throwing a play in, you guys. I'll look into Curious Incident and Hand of God (I've heard good things about both), and I'll pitch the idea to him. A friend of mine who I asked about the same problem said asking him which one he would like, although he doesn't keep up on these things like me. It's still 40 days til we leave, but I don't want to get shut out of floor tickets (which is a fear of mine, and I don't like balcony seats). Still keeping track of all votes, if just one musical is replaced it looks like we may be seeing The Visit.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwaysfguy
#32Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 3:42pm

the king and I

something rotten

rest on your list not even close...

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#33Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 5:29pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/five-broadway-tickets-buy-tony-nominations-make-it-impossible

For what it's worth (which I'm sure could be hotly debated on this boards).

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 05:29 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#34Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/19/15 at 8:15pm

I just realized: my two openings are Saturday and Sunday, both matinee performances. Does Chita plan to perform all 8 a week? I know Donna McKechnie is her standby (and I love Donna) but I don't know if she has a set performance schedule.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#35Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:44am

So I'd decided on The Visit and The King and I, only to learn upon attempted to purchase tickets via telecharge.com that both of my open matinees that weekend of The King and I were sold out. I was shocked, I didn't know the show was selling out so well! Good job to them, but back luck for me.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#36Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/25/15 at 1:27am

If you really want to see the King and I, you can make a donation and Care Tix will get you awesome seats.  The donation is the price of the ticket, so a $100 ticket would cost you $200, for example.  It is expensive, but if this is a "King and I Emergency", at least the money is going to a great cause  ....

Care-Tix Manager
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
212.840.0770 x229
CARE-TIX HOURS: Monday-Friday 10am-6pm
www.broadwaycares.org/caretix

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#37Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/25/15 at 1:37am

Gigi and On the Town. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

The Other One
#38Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/25/15 at 6:48am

"The Visit" is a beautiful production of a not-very-good musical.  Chita is terrific, but...see "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime."  You will not regret it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39Which Two Shows?
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:17am

I'm going to go back to pushing you into a Play: HAND TO GOD.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.