DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#25DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:56pm

TheZhivago twitter has been quiet.  I'm hoping for good reviews for TheZhivago Table.  

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#26DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:10pm

Time Out is NEGATIVE

Des McAnuff’s staging looks expensive but ugly, with cheesy video close?ups of actors, giant Soviet propaganda posters, eruptions of fire and the occasional explosion or gunshot to wake us up. To Siberia with it.

Mattbrain
#27DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:12pm

I can see Cote didn't pull any punches.

Also, Deadline asks why people are speaking with British accents.....does he not know that Tam Mutu is British? And does everyone in the show use British accent?

http://deadline.com/2015/04/doctor-zhivago-musical-broadway-review-1201413548/

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 4/21/15 at 08:12 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:17pm

They could pull some positive comments from the Talkin' Broadway review with creative editing.

"...explodes with a cautious passion and sensual triumph..."

"...a genuine jolt to the heart..."

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

broadwayfan24
#29DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:19pm

Deadline is negative

"Here, however, it’s all bang and no seduction. These formidable chemists have come up with an unwieldy mess, daunting in scale, assaultive on the ear, humorless and resistant to any involvement on the viewer’s part in this sweeping tale of love, revolution and war. In a word, it’s stinko."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:21pm

Wonder when the notice will go up. A shame but I knew it was coming but not this harshly. Making Neverland's reviews look good by comparison. Still hoping for cast album.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:21pm

Wonder when the notice will go up. A shame but I knew it was coming but not this harshly. Making Neverland's reviews look good by comparison. Still hoping for cast album.

Poster Emeritus

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#32DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:27pm

My gut says they'll announce after Tony nominations. I don't think they'll see much love there.  A May 3 or May 10 closing wouldn't surprise me. It's disappointing, as there's a lot of talented people in the production, but it just doesn't work.

broadwayfan24
#33DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:29pm

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

It won't be an easy night for them.

broadwayboy223
#34DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:35pm

All  would take for this show to succeed is for some critic to say something along the lines of " just like les mis!" And people will flock. I hope this show succeds. I want new works to be successful.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#35DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:36pm

Hopefully this show will receive some critical love.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#36DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:41pm

Haven't seen the show so I can't and won't comment on the reviews, but all your comments on the forum here remind me of one of my favorite quotes from a movie:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. - Anton Ego

phantom phan2
#37DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:44pm

im hoping that the reviews will be positive, i missed my chance in seeing this when it debuted in Sydney to critical acclaim, but i'm afraid it may not be the same on Broadway. I also really like the song 'Now' but hopefully there's more to like then just one song...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:49pm

considering the rear mezz. wasn't even open during previews will make the capacity % drop much lower in the coming weeks. Really don't see how this show will survive much longer.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwayfan24
#39DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:49pm

I think one universal positive thing that can be taken away from this show is Paul Nolan's performance. Truly extraordinary.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#40DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:52pm

^I am glad that he's nominated for an Outer Critic's Circle Award, I also hope he ends up being one of the few Tony Nominations the show ends up getting.

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#41DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 8:55pm

"considering the rear mezz. wasn't even open during previews will make the capacity % drop much lower in the coming weeks. Really don't see how this show will survive much longer."

Wonder why they chose such a large theater? It's on the higher end of seating capacity. I believe only the Gershwin and Lyric have more seats.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:09pm

Maybe they needed the huge stage of the Broadway

Poster Emeritus

broadwayfan24
#43DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:16pm

ABC News is NEGATIVE

"The folks behind the new Broadway musical "Doctor Zhivago" promise it is "sure to steal your heart." They apparently hope to do so by bludgeoning you into unconsciousness and then cutting you open with a scimitar."

"Visually beautiful but one-dimensional, the show that opened Tuesday at the Broadway Theatre is breathless and bombastic to the point of silly..."

" Will someone kindly tell the projection designer that it's not necessary to project a massive photo of Lara when she's ALREADY onstage? And will someone please tell the prop guy in charge of weapons that the rifle discharges are so loud that they're triggering snowfall that's supposed to fall from the rafters later in the show? Oh, and one actress' attempted decapitation may have been a touch unnecessary on top of the several executions, group hangings and spilled guts."

"One actor in "Doctor Zhivago" fake-vomits onstage after a bout of drinking and athletic Cossack dancing, and after almost three hours of this highly choreographed mess, you might want to, too."

They had a field day with this review.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:25pm

Shocked there was no comparison to Wildhorn

Seems like all the vitriol not heaped on ISHBY & Living On Love were saved up for Dr Z.

The good Dr is about to be expelled from medical school. No way this can be salvaged with these savage reviews. Their marketing pre opening was non existent to the point it made Honeymoons look genius by comparison.

Nolan indeed was great in it and his one big ballad was one of the best solos you will ever hear.

Old Rex Reed chimed in with saying Mutu was "a bus and truck Alfred Drake" OUCH!!!!!!l The critics seemed to be channeling their inner Brantley. God knows what he would have said but it could not have been any worse than what others said.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/21/15 at 09:25 PM

A1st
#45DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:33pm

""considering the rear mezz. wasn't even open during previews will make the capacity % drop much lower in the coming weeks. Really don't see how this show will survive much longer."
Wonder why they chose such a large theater? It's on the higher end of seating capacity. I believe only the Gershwin and Lyric have more seats."

And the New Amsterdam! But my guess is they needed the stage and backstage.

broadwayboy223
#46DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:36pm

They could use "Visually Stunning" as a pull quote. It sounds like they could have made some changes during the preview period but didn't. 

ceisen
#47DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:40pm

New York Daily News:

"Doctor Zhivago is an epic miss."

broadwayfan24
#48DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:44pm

The Guardian is NEGATIVE

"I’m pretty sure a threat like “I may have to visit your student friend and tell him how you cry out with pleasure when we make love” was supposed to bring a shiver to the spine rather than a giggle to the lips, but there is unintentional comedy sprinkled throughout. I still haven’t recovered from the Russian breakdancing bit – or the vomit that followed."

neonlightsxo
#49DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:44pm

This TheaterMania review is hilarious.

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/doctor-zhivago_72612.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=21apr2015