DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

KathyNYC2
#50DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:46pm

"New York Daily News:

"Doctor Zhivago is an epic miss.""

I read the blurb quickly and I thought it said epic MESS. Well sadly that works too..

Maybe Finding Neverland should have opened AFTER this...reviews might have been a little kinder by comparison. (Not that there is a comparison...I was just trying ...and probably failing to be funny.)

Updated On: 4/21/15 at 09:46 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:49pm

Just what I was expecting all around pans...

Rex Reed got it right, It’s a colossal bore!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:49pm

I hope the Times review comes out soon. Roxy's been edging himself all night waiting for it. 

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#53DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:00pm

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

phantom phan2
#54DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:01pm

some people have been comparing it to a 'wannabe' Les Mis, but that too received quite harsh negative reviews when it first opened. Not saying that they both compare, but maybe Dr Z could hold out....probably not, but maybe...

broadwayfan24
whatever2
#56DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:01pm

jordan: i can top that -- i've been edging to your avatars for almost NINE YEARS now!!!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

neonlightsxo
#57DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:05pm

I have no qualms saying Les Mis is much much much better than Dr. Zhivago. 

MorningGlow2
#58DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:05pm

And its up

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#59DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:08pm

Roxy's making his "O" face. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#60DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:10pm

Dr. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZhivago....ALL PANS!

http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/doctor-zhivago-review.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/21/15 at 10:10 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#61DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:10pm

these all flat out horrible reviews. no way this stays open much longer. Do we even give it a few weeks?? I guess this can officially be declared the worst musical of the season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ceisen
#62DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:11pm

Charles Isherwood, NY Times:

the endless Boris Pasternak novel familiar to most of us from the endless David Lean movie, has been resurrected for dramatic purposes once again, as a musical that opened at the Broadway Theater on Tuesday night.

The verdict: Um, is it over yet?

MorningGlow2
#63DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

I should warn the jumpy that those warnings about the sound of gunfire in the lobby and the program are meant in earnest. With a world war and a bloody national revolution to depict, “Doctor Zhivago” regularly rattles the rafters (and your nerves) with the sound of explosions and gunshots. The cynic in me wondered whether all this artillery was a dramatic choice, to inject notes of harsh realism as a corrective to all the swooning romanticism, or a practical one, to keep the audience from nodding off, and Broadway wags from dubbing the show “Doctor Zzzzhivago.” Oops. Too late.

All reviews mention this - must be like some fireworks display in there.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#64DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

Ouch.

broadwayfan24
#65DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

NY Post is NEGATIVE

"Worse is the jarring violence: A wounded soldier literally spills his guts, a woman graphically slits her own throat. That last happens toward the end of the show, though — by then you may well have fallen asleep."

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#66DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:12pm

So, I guess the Zhivago table is not getting a Tony nomination.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#67DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:13pm

"...a musical so aggressively awful it is almost sadistic."

New York Magazine/Vulture

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:14pm

I don't even think SCANDALOUS' reviews were this bad.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#69DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:16pm

Like I said, pretty bad year for musicals

It has raves in Austraila, what happened?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#70DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:18pm

These reviews are so hysterically bad it makes me want to see the show.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

RW3
#71DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:22pm

Poor Tam Mutu. Such talent. First Rebecca and now this.

MorningGlow2
#72DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:22pm

Vulture's review was hilarious, but also absolutely devastating at the same time...

At least the (majority of the) actors seem to have been spared, with the severe criticisms directed towards the book, music, direction, and the rest of the creative team.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#73DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:24pm

I adore Jesse Green.

phantom phan2
#74DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:24pm

It has raves in Austraila, what happened?"

i really don't know what happened. It did get really good reviews in Australia but i'm not quite sure what changes were made for Broadway. The songs are the same I think but other then that, I don't know. I was going to see it in Sydney because of the great reviews it was getting but during the opening night [or one of the previews] anthony Warlow [Dr Z] tripped or something like that and badly hurt himself. Never got to see it....

With these reviews, I probably never will