pixeltracker

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?- Page 4

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#75Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 5:54pm

"Just remember she's trying to mimic Cilla Black, so she had to make some vocal choices she might not make in playing Fanny."

But, as I and the television critics thought, in that bio-pic she made better vocal choices than Cilla Black ever did. 

Gothampc
#76Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:04pm

But, as I and the television critics thought, in that bio-pic she made better vocal choices than Cilla Black ever did. 

Going back and listening to Cilla, I have to agree.  Cilla had a pinched sound to her voice.  I guess if she hadn't been friends with the Beatles, she'd still be singing in Liverpool.

The thing I don't like about Sheridan in the above clip is that in the beginning she tends to swallow the word love as in the phrase "knowing I love you."  She doesn't open her mouth wide enough to let the sound out.  I thought she was doing that to mimic Cilla but maybe that's how she really sings.

Cilla

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#77Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/15/15 at 9:44am

The funny thing about this conversation is, Streisand didn't really look like Fanny Brice, either.  Yes, she has a distinctive nose, but that's pretty much it.  Especially in the film, which favored contemporary hair and makeup (and a fetish for the empire waist) over period.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#78Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/15/15 at 10:01am

And for that matter, thank goodness that Omar Sharif, Sydney Chaplin and Johnny Desmond did not look like the real Nicky Arnstein.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#79Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/15/15 at 10:01am

dupe  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 6/15/15 at 10:01 AM

howardbf Profile Photo
howardbf
#80Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/17/15 at 12:21am

It's our final punishment for the American Revolution.

Actriz2
#81Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 9:54pm

Rachel Bay Jones seems like an ideal Fanny for me.

brdway411
#82Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 10:18pm

Why did they get Singing in the Rain and we didn't?

Mister Matt
#83Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:24pm

Because British producers wanted to produce Singin' in the Rain for a West End production and American producers have not yet wanted to produce Singin' in the Rain for a Broadway production.  Same thing with Top Hat and any other musical, American or otherwise, that has played the West End and not Broadway.

BonnieBanks Profile Photo
BonnieBanks
#84Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:27pm

I was lucky enough to see Sheridan Smith in Legally blonde, and while I found her to be a great Elle, her vocal stamina was lacking and I personally don't think she has the vocal chops or the charisma to play a legendary role like Fanny Brice. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#85Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 9:48am

This is now CONFIRMED for the West End, looking like a limited engagement?

Thoughts on a Broadway transfer later down the road?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Mayer-to-Helm-West-End-Revival-of-FUNNY-GIRL-Starring-Sheridan-Smith-20150803

rjm516
#86Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:05am

^ I hope not, just because I want one of the American stars we've been discussing to star, not Sheridan to come over with it. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#87Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:12am

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 10:12 AM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#88Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:59pm

I could see this production transferring, but without Sheridan Smith. The financing for the 2012 production fell through because Lauren Ambrose was not a big enough name to secure financing for an untested production. As Sonia Friedman is producing this production and heavily involved in the 2012 production, I can see her using Menier as a testing ground for the production. Sheridan Smith is a known and respected actress in London, so I don't see her performance being deemed on the same caliber as Douglas Hodge in La Cage or Bertie Carvel in Matilda. Instead I see the Sonia Friedman testing the waters as to whether the production can stand on its own, so that it can be brought in with an actress who is not Lea Michelle. In doing so she is making sure  the production is strong enough to sell tickets on its own and not have to simply rely on it Fanny Brice. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#89Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:12pm

Will Meiner be allowed to transfer this? I've read that Ryan Murphy currently holds the rights to the show here in the U.S.

Mister Matt
#90Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:30pm

Sheridan Smith is a known and respected actress in London, so I don't see her performance being deemed on the same caliber as Douglas Hodge in La Cage or Bertie Carvel in Matilda.

That doesn't make much sense.

Instead I see the Sonia Friedman testing the waters as to whether the production can stand on its own, so that it can be brought in with an actress who is not Lea Michelle. In doing so she is making sure  the production is strong enough to sell tickets on its own and not have to simply rely on it Fanny Brice.

And that makes even less sense.  Sheridan is pretty well-known in the UK, but virtually unknown in the US.  How would a 200-seat production in London "test the waters" for a Broadway production with...someone who is not Lea?  I'm not following.

At any rate, I fear tickets may be hard to come by.  I may have to snatch a few when they go on sale and then hope I can plan a trip around the date.  The thought of seeing Sheridan in a small intimate production is too good to pass up.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#91Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:45pm

Menier is a testing ground with unknowns to see if they can leap to the West End and then to Broadway. Menier gave us La Cage with Douglas Hodge and Sunday in the Park with Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell, virtual unknowns here. Menier is also giving us Color Purple with Cynthia Erivo, another unknown.

Quite frankly, I'd be happy if it came to Broadway with Sheridan. People seem so obsessed their dream Fanny that it just seems easier to just someone fresh off the boat, so to speak, so people can just quiet down about "well how come X got it over Y."

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mister Matt
#92Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:57pm

Menier is a testing ground with unknowns to see if they can leap to the West End and then to Broadway.

Except Sheridan is not an unknown in the UK.  Quite the opposite.  She starred in a long-running hit comedy TV series, performed several shows in the West End and won two Olivier awards, an evening Standard Award, a National television Award and a BAFTA.  She's not well-known in the US, but I don't see how putting an established UK star in a Menier production, and possibly West End, would be a "testing ground" for a Broadway transfer with an "unknown".  This is quite a different scenario from La Cage, Sunday in the Park and Color Purple.

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 01:57 PM

Gothampc
#93Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 2:55pm

How would a 200-seat production in London "test the waters" for a Broadway production with...someone who is not Lea?  

I think this is a step above a concert version.  They are testing the waters to see if the material still plays and if people are interested in seeing the show.  It's a small financial layout if it bombs, but can lead to something bigger if they feel it plays well.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#94Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 6:49pm

Is it true that they're relocating it to 1930's Lancashire and making it about a Gracie Fields type of character?