Hamilton Previews

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#400Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:55pm

It is far from perfect, but yet revolutionary.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#401Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:57pm

"Has there been any official word on when they'll record the album and when it will be released?"

I'm pretty sure that all that's known right now that it will definitely be released in September. According to Playbill, preorders begin August 7 for it.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#402Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 11:31pm

I have to admit, I've purposefully been downplaying my feelings about this show because I didn't want to set expectations, for friends who haven't seen it, too high 

but, truthfully, I'll remember seeing it the way I remember seeing A Chorus Line or the handful of other shows that changed my life and my love of theater.

Which is why I'm searching for and devouring anything I can find on the internet about it.  

The word I shared on FB during intermission on Saturday stands:  brilliant.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 8/5/15 at 11:31 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#403Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:53am

I am still thinking through the experience last night, so I think I'll mull it over for a few days and post my thoughts in the review thread...which I expect to be epic anyway.

But, suffice it to say for now: I haven't been this overwhelmed and overcome by a musical since the first time I saw the original Follies in 1971. Nothing since then has seemed to be about such big ideas, while at the same time being human and entertaining. Perhaps Chorus Line. But this is about America-and-who-we-are. Follies and Chorus Line were about show-biz-and-who-we-are.

The size, the scope, the intelligence, the depth of feeling, the dazzling staging and design, the performances...but it is the writing that looms large right now, the morning after.

More, as they say, to come. We will all be talking about this musical for the rest of our lives.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#404Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:58am

Joey, your words made my heart sing.  Can't wait for 8!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#405Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 9:27am

Amen, PalJoey. I felt the same way. I found myself so utterly swept up in the show the entire time I was in the theatre and it really grabbed hold of my heart for a couple days after. I cannot wait to see it again.

I had tears in my eyes many times - sometimes from a beautiful song or line and sometimes I think I was just incredibly moved by the scope of what I was seeing and hearing.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#406Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 9:32am

Seeing it again tonight.  And bringing a friend.  Because this must be shared.

. . . I can't help myself!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#407Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 9:35am

That is exactly how I felt, Joey, when I saw it at the Public. My friend, who works in the press and never has a shortage of words, and I just walked silently in the gently falling snow for a while after we left the theatre.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#408Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 10:49am

Me? I can't shut up about it.

neonlightsxo
#409Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 11:16am

Tony2600...you are of course entitled to your opinion, and especially your opinion to dislike it. I appreciate hearing it. HOWEVER, calling Tommy Kail's direction ("staging") "Lazy Susan" is just ignorant.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#410Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 11:26am

Oh, *now* we can't shut up. But our immediate response was stunned silence.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#411Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 11:53am

Any word on what the partial view seats are like in the rear orchestra?  Thanks (I tried doing a search, but came up with nothing).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#412Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 12:24pm

I have to imagine "lazy Susan" was a reference not to Mr. Kail or his direction, but simply to the turntable, like one might find on a countertop. 

Joey, Kad, your opinions are highly trustworthy to me, and your praise for this has me guardedly anticipating one of the more special entertainments of my lifetime. I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to get to see it!

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

neonlightsxo
#413Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 12:54pm

I'm not so sure the poster can differentiate between the two.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#414Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 1:07pm

In an earlier post, miminy said of the staging and the choreography,  "It's like watching a Balanchine ballet."

It really is. My hat is off to Kail and Blankenbeuhler. They created a way for the show to move that matches the pulse of the score and gives energy to the narrative.

Plus--it's just beautiful to behold.

Updated On: 8/5/15 at 01:07 PM

dev101
#415Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 1:43pm

seeing Hamilton in a few weeks and I'm beyond excited, but I'm trying to keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment!

neonlightsxo
#416Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 1:45pm

Agreed, Joey. It's a dream team.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#417Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 1:49pm

Seeing this and Fun home on the 26th. Should be a great day.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#418Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 3:25pm

"Seeing this and Fun home on the 26th. Should be a great day."

Wow, that is an extraordinary dose of great theater! It will put you on overload for sure, in a good way.

Because of this thread, I went over to Ticketmaster and picked up a Hamilton seat for myself for tonight. I just had to see it again! I will just avoid my Visa bill for a while.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#419Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 3:58pm

I picked up a rear mezzanine ticket for a Wednesday matinee in November. I blame myself for not getting it when tickets originally went on sale.  I kind of wanted to see Javier Munoz, but all tickets for Sunday matinee's available were either in the partial view (rear orchestra) or in the hands of resellers.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#420Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 4:56pm

Brantley was there on Monday night, and I feel certain that he liked it more than I did. I am very hesitant to share this opinion, in light of the nearly unanimous praise being heaped on the show, and I tried my best to go in with low expectations, which was nearly impossible. A game-changer? Well, people called HAIR that in 1968, and aside from a bunch of mostly forgettable "rock" musicals, nothing much changed. It was stated again in the 90s when RENT moved to Broadway, but not sure that changed the state of musical theatre so much either. (What really changed things was JERSEY BOYS, which cemented the plethora of jukebox musicals, most of which are derivative and depressing, imo). 

While I agree that HAMILTON is often creative and entertaining, and sometimes even moving, the biggest problem I have is at the center of the show: Mr. Miranda. While he has written some beautiful music for his castmates to sing, which they do extremely well, he is still doing what he did in IN THE HEIGHTS, and little more. He hasn't the vocal chops to handle anything beyond the same sort of rap/hiphop that he presented in ITH; when he actually has to "sing," he is woefully inept. How much more would I have enjoyed the show with a more interesting, more charismatic, vocally superior performer? I don't know, but imo, Miranda as a performer is a one-trick pony.

And while I understand Miranda getting the lion's share of praise, the final bows were shocking. No individual bows for anyone except Miranda at the end. It took me a moment to even find Jonathan Groff, now dressed the same as his castmates, in the long lineup.

PalJoey, I have the greatest respect for your comments, but comparing HAMILTON to the original production of FOLLIES, still perhaps the greatest show I've ever seen? It never happened for me. And although the constantly moving turntable and constantly in-motion ensemble were initially interesting, they too began to pall in the long second act. 

I wanted to love the show, but in the words of Sondheim, I sort of enjoyed it.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#421Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 5:32pm

DAMN they're gonna have fireworks tomorrow for opening

!https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Fireworks-and-More-Slated-for-HAMILTONs-Opening-Night-on-Broadway-20150805

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#422Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:59pm

After watching the video clips it seems as if there is TONS of jumping and hopping in the air in this show!

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#423Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:37pm

in the words of Sondheim, I sort of enjoyed it.

Remember: Those words were meant satirically, referring to My Fair Lady, and making fun of those theater people so eager to be critical that they can't even admit to liking something that everyone else seems to like.

Tony2600
#424Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/5/15 at 10:10pm

Totally agree with Jayinchesea that Miranda is a one trick pony. Yes, he can rap but he’s lousy singer and he’s an even worse actor. You wouldn’t notice it that much if he weren’t surrounded by so many talented performers.
He’ not playing Hamilton. He’s playing Usnavi playing Hamilton. As for the choreography being compared to Balanchine, that’s quite a stretch. It seemed to me more akin to something choreographed by Corky St. St Clair.
And Kad, I wish I had experienced your quiet walk in the gently falling snow after the show. All I did was walk up 46th street, crossed 7th Avenue and watched as Spiderman and Elmo cursed out the naked lady body painted in red, white and blue.