pixeltracker

Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?- Page 2

Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#25Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:15pm

ummm nooo i am curious about everything about him, but sex seems like it played a huge part of his life and work. 95% of the things we talk about on this board are about predictions, and grosses, and casting. Its a shame that someone can't start a discussion about a legend without getting chastised for it. But go ahead, keep talking about how much money producers are/aren't making.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Liza's Headband
#26Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:22pm

READ A BOOK.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#27Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:25pm

Read Wasson's FOSSE, the most recent biography. It's really, really good. If you do read, that is. 

Fosse was a strange guy, a complicated guy, yeah. But a bad, mean guy? I don't think so. Jerry Robbins...

Ranger Tom
#28Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:31pm

Philly - you're right.  A lot of chastisement and pissiness on these boards.  I thought it was a good question to deal with.  There's a difference between being a "womanizer" and a criminal.  Or maybe there isn't - look at the story line on Smash.  Wonder what would have happened if those involved with Fosse had the opportunity to file sexual harassment suits - or threaten them?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:37pm

Chastisement and pissiness are S.O.P. on BWW

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#30Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:41pm

Ranger,

In addition, understanding people who create theatre (or anything) is critical to intelligently understanding their work. There are people who exhibited misogyny in their private lives; there are people who were abused as children; there are people who have been raped; there are people who are dishonest; etc etc etc. None of these things are of interest to hagiographers, but they all inform the way the individual told stories, created characters, developed relationships between characters and so on. 

AEA AGMA SM
#31Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:44pm

"
You do realize that All That Jazz was Fosse's whitewashed version of himself, right? "

But even in that film he was still fairly harsh on himself (compared to some other white-washed film biographies that have been produced) and didn't completely sanitize everything. Both of the main women in the film, Leland Palmer's character (essentially playing Gwen Verdon), and Ann Reinking (essentially playing herself), were open and chastised him about his infidelities. As Ann said in the film, "I just wish you weren't so generous with your cock." Even his daughter in the film noticed and commented on his proclivities ("You gotta stop screwing around").

Ranger Tom
#32Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:51pm

Hogan - I absolutely agree with you.  We wouldn't have his masterpieces if he wasn't who he was - good, bad, ugly.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:57pm

Now I got to go watch it again.

Fosse - The George S Patton of Broadway choreographers.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/20/15 at 07:57 PM

ghostlight2
#34Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 8:04pm

" But even in that film he was still fairly harsh on himself (compared to some other white-washed film biographies that have been produced) and didn't completely sanitize everything. Both of the main women in the film, Leland Palmer's character (essentially playing Gwen Verdon), and Ann Reinking (essentially playing herself), were open and chastised him about his infidelities. As Ann said in the film, "I just wish you weren't so generous with your cock." Even his daughter in the film noticed and commented on his proclivities ("You gotta stop screwing around")."

I have owned and worn out many copies of that film. Yes, he was harsh on himself, but he also romanticized himself and downplayed how damaging his selfishness was to others (including himself).

Phillypinto
#35Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 8:46pm

Jv92 ummm do u have something against me

Mattbrain
#36Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 8:51pm

Go. Away. Pinto.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 9:03pm

Oh, ****, here's an article about Fosse and his advances on girls:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/mariel-hemingway-bob-fosse_n_7033830.html

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#38Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 9:23pm

I know a former Fosse girl (in both senses of the word) who told me about his alleged "Golden Year," in which Bob had sex with approximately 1000 women, according to his own count. The fact that this would mean an average of three different women a day always made me doubt the story, but if anybody could do it, it's Fosse.

(That said, 1000 per year would make Glen Quagmire squeamish and Barney Stinson uneasy, so I imagine it was an exaggeration.)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#39Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:46pm

How did he find time to work on a show?

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#40Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:53pm

I don't know who those people are but that's really not that many. I'm sure not every encounter was full-on sexual intercourse.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phillypinto
#41Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:33pm

Those people are tv show characters lol and you don't think 1000 in a year is a lot? whaaaaaaaaaaaat???

FindingNamo
#42Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:44pm

It's "a lot" when compared to the lies people tell about their behavior, but if somebody gets into a numbers trip for a year, it's really not that hard to pull off, so to speak.  We're not talking dinner, a show, drinks and conversation before spiritually conjoined lovemaking in a heart shaped bed in a luxury hotel 1000 times in a single year.  We're talking about getting it on in some quickie fashion or another. 

There are people on earth with VERY high sex drives.  It's other people who have the problems with it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#43Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:39pm

No, actually he died a virgin. 

OK, Bernarda.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#44Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 10:05pm

"All his choreography is sexy as **** for both men and women. He married 3 times, and aren't there stories about how he was sleeping with girls in the chorus? Discuss!"

I know, I know, I said I would not respond to you but....read all there is out there about Bob Fosse--then discuss.

This thread shows the immature child you are.

All you want is DIRT and to get sleezy stories to w..k over to fill out your fantasies while deciding your sexuality or getting up the courage to actually HAVE sex with either gender.

I am sure that Mr Fosses' sexual appetite influenced his style of dance as other things influence ALL people how they react and respond throughout their life.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#45Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 10:13pm

Perhaps the reason such a large chunk of the theatre creative world in the 1950s to 1970s was gay is that Fosse singlehandedly consumed so much of the reserves of heterosexuality that there was no other way to maintain stasis.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#46Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 11:19pm

Dar....that's an awe-mazing observation!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

jerseygurl
#47Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:00pm

The great stage manager Philburn Freedman (who is the stage manager in ALL THAT JAZZ) once told me that each of these great directors had his own way of getting his casts and crews to pay full attention to them. Bennett would speak in a whisper, Robbins would yell until the veins popped out in his neck and "Bobby" would cough blood.

Phillypinto
#48Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:52pm

"The great stage manager Philburn Freedman (who is the stage manager in ALL THAT JAZZ) once told me that each of these great directors had his own way of getting his casts and crews to pay full attention to them. Bennett would speak in a whisper, Robbins would yell until the veins popped out in his neck and "Bobby" would cough blood."

Fosse would cough blood? Um what?

ghostlight2
#49Was Bob Fosse a Womanizer?
Posted: 7/22/15 at 4:07pm

"We wouldn't have his masterpieces if he wasn't who he was - good, bad, ugly."

Do you really believe that - that a good artist has to be a ****to be good?

And no, Philly, Fosse didn't cough blood to get attention. People don't do that at will. He coughed blood because he was a heavy smoker and drug abuser. How would coughing blood help focus his dancers' attention , anyway? It might get their attention, but then all they'd be thinking about was how sick the guy was and whether he'd make it through choreographing the show. How would that be helpful?

ps: it's Friedman, not Freedman. Also, Bennett was known to play horrible mind games on his cast members - pretending to be injured, playingthe cast against each other. Very unpleasant stuff.

Updated On: 7/22/15 at 04:07 PM

Videos