Alan Cumming in Hedwig?

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#25Allan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 6:20am

Waking up to Alan Cumming as Hedwig rumors is a lovely thing. A lovely, lovely thing. 

My money would be on him bringing the show to West End. They'll need a big name to get the ball rolling overseas.

dfrillsnedit
#26Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 11:28am

For those that were saying "Does Alan have a hard rock side to him" I would argue he does. Recently, in the animated movie "Strange Magic" (which is not a great movie by any stretch, but has an enjoyable "Glee-ish" soundtrack) Alan sings a couple of songs that allow him to have a more "rock" sound to his vocals. 

"Mistreated" definitely is the best example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-WvjoCBOI

And if this is true, across the pond or in NYC, I will cry for a whole day - my dream Hedwig come true <3

skies Profile Photo
skies
#27Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 12:43pm

I don't get how Alan is a "safe" choice, obviously he could get the German accent down like mother's milk, but it's as an actor that it would be exciting to see him.

The turns he could take with the character of Hedwig would be thrilling.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

ChiTheaterFan
#28Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 12:49pm

"For those that were saying "Does Alan have a hard rock side to him" I would argue he does. Recently, in the animated movie "Strange Magic" (which is not a great movie by any stretch, but has an enjoyable "Glee-ish" soundtrack) Alan sings a couple of songs that allow him to have a more "rock" sound to his vocals. 
"Mistreated" definitely is the best example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-WvjoCBOI
And if this is true, across the pond or in NYC, I will cry for a whole day - my dream Hedwig come true <3"

Thanks for sharing!  This is a different side to his voice than I have heard before. I really hope this happens. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 1:32pm

Love Alan, but the thought of him as Hedwig bores me to tears. Alan is a showman and he has proved this time and time again. However, I think his coy winks and nods are out of the bag. I'd worry about an emcee rehash.

I'd really love to see some out of the box casting that would be truly surprising and fill the seats. I'd love to see Pink give it a try. I'd even love to see what Cate Blanchett could do with it. Joseph Gordon Levitt, Gaga, Jared Leto.

There are many fresh surprising casting choices out there.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#30Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:23pm

I'm sure that Cate Blanchett would have ZERO interest in being Hedwig.  Joseph Gordon-levitt is a great choice and I'm still wondering what Jack Black would be like as Hedwig. 

Alan Cumming is a perfect choice for Hedwig.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#31Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 8:35pm

They've made a habit of announcing the next Hedwig fairly quickly into the run of current Hedwig so either way we will find out soon enough.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#32Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 9:13pm

I want, correction, NEED a Jonathan Groff Hedwig. I previously thought he was all wrong for it but after seeing him in Hamilton - it's a totally different color on him. He always plays so sweet and earnest, I loved seeing him as a total bitch while displaying excellent comedic skills. Plus, there's the Midnight Radio "costume" Alan Cummings in Hedwig? 

A1st
#33Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:11am

He just tweeted. A shame it's a no I would have loved to have seen him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alancumming/status/625521342759194624

VintageSnarker
#34Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:53am

Wow. That makes me want to check that movie out.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:58am

"Does anyone think JCM would come back to close the run, in its first official Broadway carnation? Injury or not, and even if for a week, I feel like that would just be how they'd do it. "

It seems like it would be NPH's to close, no?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#36Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 4:57am

I'm not a colossal fan of his, I preferred Leeds Hill over him as The Emcee, but I'd love to see him do Hedwig to be honest. Also, I want to focus on this:

"I'm not going to do after !"

It's very specific, no? My money is on either Hedwig staying open after Taye's replacement, and Alan replacing said replacement, or straight up just Alan moving to the West End with it in late 2016 / early 2017. I don't know why everyone is speculating the next replacement will close the show. It's still sells very well, especially at the start of every new actor, which really is a testament to the flexibility of this piece.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

HedwigInch
#37Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 7:27am

I think people are speculating that Taye's replacement might be the last because someone on this forum, I forgot who so sorry for not giving credit, said they were told Alan is in early talks to replace Taye and being the final Hedwig on Broadway.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#38Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 7:42am

""Does anyone think JCM would come back to close the run, in its first official Broadway carnation? Injury or not, and even if for a week, I feel like that would just be how they'd do it. "
It seems like it would be NPH's to close, no?"

Neil has said he would like to close it with a one time show. John has said that now that he's done it once, he would go back and do it again. I might be alone in this, but the show is still John's, no one will be able to take it away from him.

Alan saw the show two or three times in a month - which is strange - surely there is something to it?

HedwigInch
#39Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 7:53am

"Alan saw the show two or three times in a month - which is strange - surely there is something to it?"

Darren and Alan are good friends, Darren was invited to Alan's and his husband's birthday party in Florida a few months ago so I personally wouldn't read too much into Alan seeing Darren in Hedwig twice within a month or whatever it was.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#40Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/27/15 at 7:12pm

Alan saw the show two or three times in a month - which is strange - surely there is something to it?

I think it means a lot of posters from BWW are going to be the next Hedwig. 

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#41Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/30/15 at 7:28pm

Taye is about a week into performances. Usually 2-3 weeks into a run they announce the next Hedwig. Anyone have any rumors?

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#42Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:53pm

His wording in that tweet, "I'm not going to do Hedwig after Taye Diggs..." Blah blah blah.. I am in The Good Wife til April gets me suspicious. He didn't say, I'm never doing Hedwig. He said he won't be Hedwig after Taye Diggs, which leads me to believe that maybe down the road, say next summer, he could be pulling the wig down from the shelf. Or I'm reading too much into it.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#43Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:04pm

JCM will finish out the run. Alan is going to London with the show

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#44Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:21pm

If NPH returns for a "one night only" I will be pissed. The show has extended an extra 25 minutes in material since he did it, and I would much rather have JCM or MCH come back instead.

ChildofEarth
#45Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:21pm

Isn't John about to film a movie? I doubt it could be him yet. I'm thinking they'll get a big name for the holiday season and he might do one after that.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#46Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/31/15 at 1:13pm

"Isn't John about to film a movie? I doubt it could be him yet. I'm thinking they'll get a big name for the holiday season and he might do one after that."

Yes, he's making Neil Gaiman's how to talk to girls at parties.  Why is everyone talking about hedwig closing? It still seems profitable.  I bet JCM will return to close it.  It just seems right, but I hope that's a ways off.

ChildofEarth
#47Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/31/15 at 2:00pm

Yes, he's making Neil Gaiman's how to talk to girls at parties. Why is everyone talking about hedwig closing? It still seems profitable. I bet JCM will return to close it. It just seems right, but I hope that's a ways off.

I know Neil has said he wants to do closing night, but I doubt people will argue if it's JCM.

I think the number 350k is what is thrown around for what the show needs to run for a week, and we have gotten dangerously close to that lately. I'm not sure where that number comes from though, so it could be inaccurate.

I also think people are worried because we have no idea. We knew it was Taye way before they announced it and we suspected Darren would come in at some point after they both name dropped him several times. I'm hoping the radio silence means someone amazing or someone out of left field.

HedwigInch
#48Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/31/15 at 2:23pm

"I think the number 350k is what is thrown around for what the show needs to run for a week, and we have gotten dangerously close to that lately. I'm not sure where that number comes from though, so it could be inaccurate."

There is an article that states the following:

"With an onstage rock band and only two actors, its fixed expenses are just $317,000 a week, plus royalties for the creative team and other fluctuating fees, according to a draft budget filed with the New York State Attorney General."

http://online.barrons.com/articles/how-to-make-money-on-broadway-1417232812

Thparkaly
#49Alan Cummings in Hedwig?
Posted: 7/31/15 at 7:54pm

Can't figure out how to embed tweets, but on Stephen Trask's twitter on July 27 he pretty firmly squashed all rumors of a London production, as well as the sequel.