pixeltracker

Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?

Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#1Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:30pm

It's been a long time since the musical theater community has seen something with the noise surrounding Hamilton. It's going from being the ticket if the season to the ticket of the decade (for some).

In my 31 years on earth, I don't recall any kind of musical getting this kind of attention. Part of it may be my age and the fact that I live in the Midwest, but typically, news about a new musical is non-existent here. When Rent opened, I remember it being a big deal outside of NY because it had a major Rolling Stone article, displays of "Rent inspired" clothing at Bloomingdales (or Macy's. Can't remember which), and an end of the aisle CD display at Target. In small town Michigan, that was just huge.

Is Hamilton going to reach the level where it becomes part of the cultural lexicon? Is it on it's way to be parodied on The Simpsons? Are we about to see people in camping out for tickets in Kansas City when it tours?

I'm genuinely curious about how big this is going to get after tomorrow's opening.

theatremelvin94
#2Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:36pm

The Book of Mormon was quite the sensation in 2011, sold out for months. You can still get a ticket to Hamilton for August through Ticketmaster.

As for your question, I think it will be a cultural sensation–––and that's great news for Broadway. Cultural relevance. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:38pm

Let it actually open and audiences get to see if before we confirm legend status on it.

I am so fed up with the hype on this show. Every other show that opens next year will be grasping for attention. Composers & producers will know no matter how good their show is, they have not a shot in hell of getting a Tony for score or show.

I will not see it and somehow I will survive. I wish it luck as I do with any show but I am so over the Hamilton hysteria you have no idea

Poster Emeritus

theatremelvin94
#4Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:42pm

Tens of thousands of people have already seen it, at the Public and during previews. Most have concluded that it's indeed something special.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#5Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:44pm

Yes Roxy, everyone knows you won't see it because you have already made that clear, and because it won't appear on your comp sites. Good lord, you seriously have too much time on your hands. It really is not necessary to post each and every thought that comes into your head on every single thread on here. Unreal.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:47pm

I am glad for it. Still feel the same. Many will see this & pay thru the nose to have bragging rights to say they saw it.

I am more concerned regarding what is happening in the real world than  what is happening on a certain Broadway stage. People are oblivious to everything except this.

Again I wish it luck & if you want to see it by all means go. Just put things in perspective. Neither Hamilton or any other Broadway show will ever be the most important thing in my life..

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 8/5/15 at 06:47 PM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#7Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:52pm

If you are more concerned with what is happening in the real world then why do you haunt every single thread on this board on what feels like a 24/7 basis?

theatremelvin94
#8Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:53pm

"I am more concerned regarding what is happening in the real world than  what is happening on a certain Broadway stage. .."

Who isn't more concerned? Hamilton has maybe made the front page of the New York Times once or twice in the last year, under the fold. No one is blowing this out of proportion. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 6:59pm

I beg to differ but when scalpers are getting ABSURD amounts for tickets this kind of negates your argument.

This is being totally blown out of proportion but everyone is entitled to their opinion . I respect your opinion even though I disagree. Please do the same for me

Thanks

Poster Emeritus

theatremelvin94
#10Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:01pm

"I beg to differ but when scalpers are getting ABSURD amounts for tickets this kind of negates your argument.
This is being totally blown out of proportion but everyone is entitled to their opinion . I respect your opinion even though I disagree. Please do the same for me
Thanks"

To opening night? Perhaps. But as I said earlier, it's not sold out the way Book of Mormon was, or even Denzel's Raisin in the Sun a few years back. 

Updated On: 8/5/15 at 07:01 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:11pm

Raisin was a limited run with a Hollywood star. BOM had a following re South Park. Did not see Raisin & saw BOM which, to my wife & I, definitely did not live up to the hype.

This show will be like the monster that devoured Cleveland destroying everything in its path. Eventually it will lose steam but it will be many, many, many years from now.

Seeing it is not on my bucket list or on any other list. If we see it eventually, fine. If not, we will survive. A friend of ours saw it and said it took awhile to get used to the hip hop music. He liked it but was not blown away with it as many are want to say about shows.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 8/5/15 at 07:11 PM

theatremelvin94
#12Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:14pm

I didn't love BOM either, but I was still happy that theatre was once again a significant cultural phenomenon. Even if you don't love what you're hearing about Hamilton, I don't see the point of being negative about it without seeing it first. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:16pm

I am not being negative about it in any way. It probably is very good . I just am tired of the hype. No way am I selling internal organs and other body parts to see it. No show is worth it. If we see it great. If not, life goes on.

Poster Emeritus

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#14Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:18pm

Just when I think I've seen it all, out comes another rapping 'musical'.

Sorry, from all of the video I've seen, I think it's dreadful.  The 'singing' blows, the choreography is terrible and why do a period piece if the only thing you keep in the period are the costumes?

Glad these hip hoppers are getting work, but give me a real musical with real singing and real dancing, and I'll be happy.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theatremelvin94
#15Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:19pm

You're exaggerating the demand for tickets. You can still get a fine seat for this month or next month via Ticketmaster or the Richard Rodgers box office. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:28pm

Would love to continue this discussion but sitting down to dinner now. After reading my PM, feel free to continue our discussion if you want.

Poster Emeritus

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#17Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:45pm

"Just when I think I've seen it all, out comes another rapping 'musical'.
 Sorry, from all of the video I've seen, I think it's dreadful.  The 'singing' blows, the choreography is terrible and why do a period piece if the only thing you keep in the period are the costumes?
Glad these hip hoppers are getting work, but give me a real musical with real singing and real dancing, and I'll be happy."

I'm glad you came to this conclusion just based off of a few videos online.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#18Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 7:54pm

"I am more concerned regarding what is happening in the real world than  what is happening on a certain Broadway stage. People are oblivious to everything except this."

I see your point of view, I really do. Even though I love Hamilton a lot, I am tired of the dozens of articles and BWW threads. So I get it. But I think it takes a lot of gall for anyone on this message board to criticize others for being too wrapped up in a Broadway show.

You COULD make a case for saying that people are becoming oblivious to other shows, but are you really gonna bring "the real world" into this conversation? Are you claiming that people are neglecting their personal lives to obsess over this show? Are the world's conflicts going to worsen because people are too focused on Hamilton?

Sounds to me like you're the one blowing this out of proportion. You're more obsessed with disliking Hamilton than its fans are with liking it. Reminds me of the kind of thing AfterEight would say. 

Updated On: 8/5/15 at 07:54 PM

Phantom4ever
#19Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:04pm

The backlash this musical is getting on this boards is really something.  I believe that if this show was more of an underdog, more of you would like it.  

Phantom4ever
#20Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:10pm

And judging a show based on online videos is worse than judging a show based on a Tony Awards performance.  

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:28pm

To J Broadway

Re being wrapped up in a show, do you recall the Idina  If/Then frenzy?People were basically killing each other nightly at the stage door. What do you think will happen with Frozen?

If this type of behavior is a person's life, go for it. It is not for me.Re Hamilton, if someone wants to pay a kings ransom for a ticket and/or see it multiple times be my guest.Not my cup of tea.

I am out of this discussion. Have fun gang.

Poster Emeritus

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 8:38pm

It already is.

Updated On: 8/5/15 at 08:38 PM

broadwayboy972 Profile Photo
broadwayboy972
#23Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 9:30pm

"Glad these hip hoppers are getting work, but give me a real musical with real singing and real dancing, and I'll be happy."

To label this show as a non-legit musical is ridiculous; this is a "real musical." So what if it's hip hop? The beauty of theatre is that it's a constantly changing landscape... there will always be new and innovative forms of the American musical, and me, like many others, believe that Hamilton is. 

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:00pm

Congratulations.  Once it closes, lets see how many regional and community theatre want to do it...

"I'm glad you came to this conclusion just based off of a few videos online."

Yes, MANY videos and interviews.  And a bootleg.

It blows.  It's trying to be as hip as BLODDY, BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON and isn't coming close.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

VintageSnarker
#25Will Hamilton become a cultural icon?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:58pm

I thought you were asking if Alexander Hamilton would become a more prominent figure in American culture. I thought that was more interesting so I'll respond to that first. I'm not sure. I don't think Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson or Assassins are on par with Hamilton's success but still, I'm not sure how strong they were as educational tools. 

As for your actual question, I'm not sure what you're asking. The cultural lexicon thing is confusing because the people behind things like The Simpsons and Family Guy and SNL include theatre geeks. So yes, they'll throw in jokes and parodies but they do that for more obscure things too. As for it being a phenomenon on par with Rent and Rocky Horror, I don't think it lends itself to the same kind of fandom. I could see certain fashion elements catching on from designers who are inspired by the show but people aren't going to just start walking around in frock coats and pantaloons.