Amelie at Berkeley Rep

mtchairs Profile Photo
mtchairs
#25Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/17/15 at 11:51pm

OK, thanks, I will look into the ferry option as well. Would that be a ferry to Oakland and then BART from there?

Apologies for getting off topic ??

LittleCheno
#26Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/18/15 at 12:37am

Here's the ferry schedule! Though, I would just take uber or a taxi from Oakland to Berkeley. You can also take a shuttle to the bart station (don't know if those run on the weekends).

https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/sffb/oakland

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#27Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/27/15 at 7:29pm

Well this is a bummer. The first preview performance just got canceled (why so late, I'm not sure), but the email I got said that they lost a day of rehearsal due to late delivery of important technical equipment. I just got my tickets for the Thursday night performance next week as a replacement at least, but I'm totally bummed that I have to wait a week longer, and that if there's any songs that get cut early in the Preview process, I'll miss them, but I mean I get it, clearly this was out of their hands, and given the late notice, I can only image they were trying to make it work.

ANYWAY, Just wanted to post here so anyone wanting to hear about the show tomorrow night would know we need to wait til Saturday at least. I'm not sure what's happening there, the website has Friday and Saturday's shows listed as "Invitation Only" when they weren't before, but the dates the show runs have been changed to say performances start Saturday.

Updated On: 8/27/15 at 07:29 PM

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#28Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/27/15 at 7:35pm

OTOH, it will be MUCH easier for your to get there since you'll be able to use BART!

notalwaysontime
#29Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/27/15 at 7:47pm

Hest882 said: "OTOH, it will be MUCH easier for your to get there since you'll be able to use BART!"

I wish. I'm from a bit further north, like an hour away, so I have to drive regardless. BART doesn't come up this way, which I hate.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/27/15 at 8:37pm

Thanks so much for posting that here! I got the email as well, but I hadn't checked my email in several hours so I didn't know about it until I saw it here.

Lucky for me I snagged the last ticket to the new first preview (Saturday night). The day before I leave for college. The box office people were really cool about the exchange, even though the ticket prices were different. I'm excited for the show!

Updated On: 8/27/15 at 08:37 PM

notalwaysontime
#31Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/27/15 at 10:16pm

JBroadway said: "Thanks so much for posting that here! I got the email as well, but I hadn't checked my email in several hours so I didn't know about it until I saw it here.

Lucky for me I snagged the last ticket to the new first preview (Saturday night). The day before I leave for college. The box office people were really cool about the exchange, even though the ticket prices were different. I'm excited for the show!"

Oh man, I'm glad they were able to accommodate you, so you don't miss it completely! I would have tried to finagle a Saturday ticket if I had that night open  We never do anything, but of course we're busy that night  Go figure. I can't wait to hear how it is! I'm so excited about this show, it almost feels like a tease having to wait longer. I wanna kick whoever is responsible for getting that equipment there late lol  I'm glad I could help though! That I was able to help you see it was canceled before the box office closed so you could make it work!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#32Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/28/15 at 6:03pm

notalwaysontime said: "The first preview performance just got canceled (why so late, I'm not sure)"

If you're not standing outside the theater getting this news, it isn't late.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 1:21am

Interesting bit of new information I got in an email:

"It runs approximately one hour and 40 minutes and does not include an intermission."

So it's a one-act! Hard to say yet whether this is a good sign or not. I can't think of very many adaptations of movies that chose to do one-acts, but then, who's to say that's a good thing? 

I'll report back after seeing it. 

Updated On: 8/29/15 at 01:21 AM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#34Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 1:28am

I got tickets for next Saturday.

Weird that the musical is shorter than the movie.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#35Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 2:41am

Fantod said: "Weird that the musical is shorter than the movie."

I think this literally might be a world's first.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#36Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 2:49am

If you guys can wait until Sunday I'll attempt to give as full a report as I can. 

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#37Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 3:12am

The suspense is killin' me Amelie at Berkeley Rep  I live in Los Angeles and have my ticket to Amelie in mid-September.  But I'm anxious to hear all your thoughts.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#38Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 4:04am

Honestly I have very low expectations. I want it to be fabulous, but, let's face it, the movie is basically perfect so improving on it is all but impossible.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#39Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 9:07am

When adaptations of any works of art get made, they're never to improve it, but to give them new lives in another medium.

Updated On: 8/29/15 at 09:07 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#40Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/29/15 at 11:40pm

So for those who saw the show tonight, how was it?

joshsmith2
#41Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 12:33am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "So for those who saw the show tonight, how was it?

isn't this in the bay area if so its 9,45 there

Updated On: 8/30/15 at 12:33 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#42Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 12:40am

Yes, Berkeley is in the Bay Area, which is in California, which is on the West Coast, which is on Pacific Time.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#43Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 1:41am

Ok, I'm on my way back from the show. Forgive any typos, as I'm typing this on my phone. I'll post a more detailed report later, but for now I'll say these things:

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, nor is it groundbreaking, but it has a lot of charm and beauty and heart. 

They've captured the movie well in a number of ways: 

-the emphasis on the community and the voice of individual strangers. The small ensemble acts as the narrator for the show, but all exist as their own characters. 

-The nature of Amelie's struggle between interaction and solitude. As well as her imaginative and often silly mind.

-The theme of details and likes/dislikes, and how they affect everyone's identity

The book is not perfect. It tries to remain very faithful to the movie, almost to a fault. Some of the things that worked well on screen didn't translate perfectly onto the stage. But even these issues were not horrible. They clearly understood the themes of the movie, and made us care about Amelie and her relationship with Nino.

The score is pretty, and often moving. It's reminiscent of modern musicals by composers like Tom Kitt and Brian Loudermilk. One issue is that most of the songs sound the same. But what it lacks in variety, it makes up for in its effective lyrics. The songs are well-utilized to develop character and enhance the emotion of the story, which is ultimately what songs in a musical should do. 

The cast is excellent. They all have beautiful stand-out moments, and many play multiple characters very effectively. 

Design elements are well done. The set was pretty and the projections, thanks goodness, were tasteful and well-integrated. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#44Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 3:16am

A couple of related things:

1. Lilla Crawford's adorable little sister, Savvy Crawford played Young Amelie. Looks like it runs in the family! Lilla and her mom were in attendance tonight. 

2. Tony Sheldon told me that the "missing technical element" was the mechanism that makes things rise out of the trap-doors in the show. The elevators (or whatever they use) are so late, that they actually had to abandon them entirely and RE-STAGE A LOT OF THE SHOW yesterday. Talk about impressive. I certainly couldn't tell. 

Updated On: 8/30/15 at 03:16 AM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#45Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 4:46am

So happy to hear that they kept the likes and dislikes part from the movie. That's such a beautiful touch and it manages to instantly humanize every single character. So happy to hear that it's good. I'm looking forward to it. Does the set keep the red/green/gold feel of the movie?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#46Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 9:23am

Hmm...I was sitting so close that I wasn't paying very much attention to color scheme, but I want to say no. The whole set was kind of a light blue?

broadwaysfguy
#47Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/30/15 at 5:48pm

very excited to be there tonight

and post tomorrow

thanks Jbroadway for the encouraging first review!

"

notalwaysontime
#48Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:22am

JBroadway said: "A couple of related things:

1. Lilla Crawford's adorable little sister, Savvy Crawford played Young Amelie. Looks like it runs in the family! Lilla and her mom were in attendance tonight.

2. Tony Sheldon told me that the "missing technical element" was the mechanism that makes things rise out of the trap-doors in the show. The elevators (or whatever they use) are so late, that they actually had to abandon them entirely and RE-STAGE A LOT OF THE SHOW yesterday. Talk about impressive. I certainly couldn't tell."

Holy crap about the reason for the setback, that IS major, and probably super frustrating for them. I wonder what on earth could have held it up. I didn't blame them before when they had to cancel, even though I was bummed, because it already sounded like a big deal, but wow, even more so now. Glad to hear they were able to work something else out and also pull it off on such short notice.

Thursday can't come soon enough! What's the procedure like for meeting them after the show? I've never been there before, is it like a typical stage door?

Updated On: 8/31/15 at 12:22 AM

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#49Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:44am

Thoughts typed on the train home, so excuse typos please: 

It's charming. The critic in me is warring With the guy who likes charming things done charmingly. The very "story theater" staging concept, which worked pretty much all the time. 110 minutes, shorter than the film, and as a conciquence it felt kinda unfulfilled. The film (which Craig Lucas never strays too far from) has a lot of subplots and the musical tried to include almost all of them (I only noticed one character who got cut and unfortunately I think it's the one who would have translated best to the stage) resulting in a few threads that don't get followed. The grocer and his assistant are a good example - this is a major subplot in the movie. In the musical they appear twice, get one number, and are gone. Cut them. Tony Sheldon is in this playing the wise old painterand he's predictably charming though wasted in the material. They need to trimsome of the massive exposition dump at the beginning of the show....we see her entire childhood and it takes forever. Several of the supporting cast are extremely good and don't have enough to do, as well. Several really nice surprise songs, one big laugh out loud moment that is totally extraneous but really really fun. 

The show is mostly sung through and the music tends to swing towards the meandering. The tunes suit the characters well. Never really content to find a melody, it mostly wanders in and out of thematic material. while a little repetitive, the songs are good enough that I never got bored. A bigger problem is the way the show never manages to capture the way the film cuts its whimsy with real darkness. 

Luckily the best material is given to the central love plot which is handed beautifully. Samantha Barks is extremely lovable, though she doesn't have the chance to get to the heart of Amelie's issues, and She and Adam Chandler-Barat have very nice chemistry. (He's making a career out of neuoritic love interests and does very well for himself doing his thing.)

There's definitely some cuts to be made but only one or two things that I think need to be GONE ASAP.

Short short version -
Charming but kind of aimless. Pam McKinnon has directed and cast this she as best she could and the writers need to catch up to her.