pixeltracker

Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre

Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:04am

Tickers on sale now! Performances begin April 2016!

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/paramour

Prepare to get swept off your feet by PARAMOUR, a rapturous and passionate new experience that unites the signature spectacle of Cirque du Soleil with the storytelling magic that defines Broadway. Set in the glamorous world of Golden Age Hollywood, this groundbreaking event spins the tale of a beautiful young poet forced to choose between love and art. Featuring a cast that blends the best in circus arts and musical theatre, PARAMOUR will transport you to a world of sublime beauty and emotion as it walks the exhilarating tightrope of the heart.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 8/19/15 at 12:04 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:11am

Hmm, makes me wonder if they are still associated with The Wiz revival or if there will even be one.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:17am

Opening June 2? I know nothing of the production or of its potential quality - but June 2 is just after the Tony cutoff for 2015-2016 - although previews start before the cutoff.  I presume whatever is going into the Lyric in the interim has dictated the start dates.  

everythingtaboo
#4Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:17am

I think both have been in the planning stages for awhile, and The Wiz was always planned for 2016-2017 season, so I guess this means we'll have two Cirque shows on Broadway instead of one?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Clyde15
#5Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:19am

"Opening June 2? I know nothing of the production or of its potential quality - but June 2 is just after the Tony cutoff for 2015-2016 - although previews start before the cutoff.  I presume whatever is going into the Lyric in the interim has dictated the start dates.  

I highly doubt that this production will be nominated for any Tonys. It doesn't appear to be a musical or a play. I'm sure they are more relying on the brand name to sell tickets as opposed to awards. 

"

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#6Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:30am

Why the Lyric on Broadway and not The Theatre at Madison Square Garden on Off-Off-Broadway where these types of shows really belong? Is that actually a musical?

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

everythingtaboo
#7Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:30am

There's right now nothing planned for the winter season, so I'm guessing the timing was based on On The Town's booking to into December previously, with the thought that even if there was something for the holidays they'd still need time to install Cirque. Hence April. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#8Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:39am

who is directing this? Im actually happy this is on Broadway at the Lyric. Hopefully it will fill the theatre up and spark non theatre goer's interest in musicals and plays!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

LightsOut90
#9Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:44am

"Why the Lyric on Broadway and not The Theatre at Madison Square Garden on Off-Off-Broadway where these types of shows really belong? Is that actually a musical?

um the last show they produced was at Radio City and the one before was at the Beacon, this isn't like 7 digits, their shows are BIG and need big spaces, and considering their prior venues this seems like a good fit, and who cares if its a traditional musical or not, this means jobs isn't that the most important part? 

"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:49am

Broadway musicals tend to struggle to fill that house anyway. Might as well just make it a special event venue.

jimmycurry01
#11Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:50am

"who is directing this? Im actually happy this is on Broadway at the Lyric. Hopefully it will fill the theatre up and spark non theatre goer's interest in musicals and plays!

"

Cirque shows aren't really the type of shows that spark people's interest in musicals or plays. They are fun spectacles that offer an alternative to musicals and plays. They are, as their title suggests, circuses. There is usually little to no plot, but instead a theme that loosely ties the acts together. While this type of show sells very well in Vegas, it will be interesting to see how it fares on Broadway.

asmith0307
#12Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:51am

"Why the Lyric on Broadway and not The Theatre at Madison Square Garden on Off-Off-Broadway where these types of shows really belong? Is that actually a musical?

"

A Cirque show is too big for any Off-Off Bway Theatre I know (of course, I don't know all of them, so feel free to disagree). I have never been in the Theatre at Madison Square Garden to compare. Even Zarkana was in Radio City.

I'm excited. Yes it takes a theatre out of contention for now (I can only assume they intend for this to be a fairly long run rather than limited). But let's be honest here. If anything is going to fill that theater, Cirque is probably one of the few that could out of the planned shows of which I know. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#13Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:54am

Its going to sell well. If Penn and Teller and The Illusionists did well, I'm sure this will too. How did Cirque do at Radio City and the Beacon?

the theatre at madison square garden is actually huge, and is bigger than the Lyric. They probably wanted something more intimate if they didn't do well at the Beacon or Radio City

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#14Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:02am

Cirque was in discussion to buy the theater to house solely their own shows in it. This might be the beginning stages of that. 

brdway411
#15Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:11am

I just hope whatever they do, it's better than the Crap they called Zarkana. That was wierd, creepy and BORING as hell. It was on TDF a lot. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#16Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:11am

"Opening June 2? I know nothing of the production or of its potential quality - but June 2 is just after the Tony cutoff for 2015-2016"

Isn't the cut off in mid-April?

everythingtaboo
#17Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:17am

The Beacon Theatre was an unmitigated disaster that was rightfully put out of its misery very quickly. At least the Lyric is like a third the size of Radio City, so they won't have to worry about trying to fill it up as much as they did Zarkana. This also feels like it might be more accessible than Zarkana, which was just bizarre when it wasn't boring. 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 01:17 AM

brdway411
#18Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:19am

About 5 or 6 years ago didn't they do something at the Broadway? Or was that some other  circus type thing. 

everythingtaboo
#19Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:20am

That was a different Cirque company at the Broadway 

Howard Shore
#20Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 6:14am

I highly doubt that this production will be nominated for any Tonys. It doesn't appear to be a musical or a play. I'm sure they are more relying on the brand name to sell tickets as opposed to awards. 

and I very doubt patrons and cirque fans care. I am 100% sure Cirque does not care

"

"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:41am

Hopefully, this will be a lot better than their last attempt at genre-crossing with the disastrous Banana Schpeel.

Why the Lyric on Broadway and not The Theatre at Madison Square Garden on Off-Off-Broadway where these types of shows really belong? Is that actually a musical?

Broadway isn't exclusive to musicals and plays.  Never has been.  Never will be.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

FindingNamo
#22Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:45am

This is the post-Canadian Cirque du Soleil, right?  The one that's now owned by Chinese venture capitalists and all that?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BroadMagTech
#23Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:57am

To be clear, the Chinese group only owns 20% of the company and the rest is owned by and American group

FindingNamo
#24Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:02am

Nothing gold can stay.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:14am

Being able to see a Cirque show without going to Vegas?

What's next?

Poster Emeritus

Videos