Allegiance Previews

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#25Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:40am

What show is this show like? 

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:41am

Eurotrash said: "What show is this show like? "

It's the Hamilton of Japanese-American Internment Musicals.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#27Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:47am

It's a great subject for theatrical treatment, one of the shamefully undertold stories in America's history and impossible not to root for.  

In truth, HAMILTON's mega success -- try getting in before 2016 -- will help every other show.  A percentage of people unable to score seats will want to see something of substance; this show may well be a go-to for disappointed HAMILTON crowd.  Hits always help business. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#28Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:48am

Has there been any announcement of a rush/lotto policy yet?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Pootie2
#29Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:19pm

Broadway Bob* said: "Has there been any announcement of a rush/lotto policy yet?

"

No.

In general, I recommend bookmarking their Twitter or Facebook account for more news/answers.

https://twitter.com/allegiancebway/with_replies

https://www.facebook.com/allegiancemusical

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#30Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 10:41pm

The Hamilton/Allegiance advertisement is so cute, awww. 

I'm really pulling for this show! Don't know where it stands in terms of award season, but am overall excited that the dark chapter of Japanese internment in US history is being discussed on this platform.

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:26pm

Just got home from the first preview. I really, really enjoyed this show a lot. The cast is all incredible. Lea Salonga's return to Broadway in an original role is so exciting, and she is truly sensational in this. George Takei is also wonderful and is turning in a great performance. There really isn't a weak link in this cast. The set, lighting, and sound were all top notch. The show is in great shape for a first preview. This is probably my favorite thing I have seen so far this season. I would definitely recommend seeing this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#32Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:27pm

It will be the Asian Amazing Grace. Nobody knows who is Lea Salonga and Takei has about 14 fans. A gripping story that looks like a fey Lifetime film. 

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

Pootie2
#33Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:27pm

So first preview is over. Tweets appear quite positive, but those are never substantive. It looks like some of the cast might have stage doored? I see a signed playbill among the tweets.

Jabere
#34Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:29pm

Booking tickets for this !!! thanks for the review

bwayphreak234 said: "Just got home from the first preview. I really, really enjoyed this show a lot. The cast is all incredible. Lea Salonga's return to Broadway in an original role is so exciting, and she is truly sensational in this. George Takei is also wonderful and is turning in a great performance. There really isn't a weak link in this cast. The set, lighting, and sound were all top notch. The show is in great shape for a first preview. This is probably my favorite thing I have seen so far this season. I would definitely recommend seeing this.

"

Pootie2
#35Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:30pm

Thanks for the report, bwayphreak234.

fflagg said: "It will be the Asian Amazing Grace. Nobody knows who is Lea Salonga and Takei has about 14 fans. A gripping story that looks like a fey Lifetime film. 

"

Oh, I suppose you actually support the Japanese-American Interment then and are probably anti-immigration. Good on you.

Jabere
#36Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:30pm

Are you being sarcastic??? 

fflagg said: "It will be the Asian Amazing Grace. Nobody knows who is Lea Salonga and Takei has about 14 fans. A gripping story that looks like a fey Lifetime film. 

"

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#37Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:41pm

I'm back from the first preview and the nicest thing I can say about Allegiance is that it's very, very earnest. I believe the creators' motivations and intentions are pure, but their final product is lacking, hindered by some of the most overwrought direction in recent memory.

And really, as cliche as some of the lyrics are and despite the fact that the book creates mouthpieces instead of characters (save one), the blame really needs to start at the top with Arima's direction. After his bloodless Carrie and mess of a Bare revival this was three strikes you're out. (The baseball reference is apt as there's a ripoff number of "What a Game" from Ragtime- a show Allegiance is desperately trying to be.)  Arima is very found of staging the ensemble numbers in clusters across the front of the stage, everyone in spotlights, motionless with shoulders square belting as high as they can. The score most resembles A Tale of Two Cities (aka Wildhorn knockoff music), and Arima can't help himself but put the cast in Les Miz triangle formation as the music swells. The book is heavy-handed enough on its own, and Arima does the actors no favors by draining any subtly from the performances. The comedy is broad and the arguments are overblown. The poor actors playing the Army guards have been directed to act like the Nazis from The Sound of Music: Menacing, but a little too cartoonish to actually be threatening.

The book makes frequent reference to the fact that they don't have any medicine, clean water, beds to sleep on, etc and yet the detainees have enough energy to perform such acrobatic choreography you wouldn't believe. It would have been just as silly had Graciela Daniele made the townspeople of Brachen back flip and cartwheel around the stage upon Claire's arrival.

The saving grace of this production is the cast. The ensemble sings very well, and despite their small numbers they produce quite a sound. I assumed Takei was going to be the focal point of the show, but he isn't even given a song and plays the small, kooky grandfather role. Telly Leung and Lea Salonga are asked to do the heavy lifting and vocally they're up to the challenge. Unfortunately their characters on the page are paper. What do we really know about them? What specific details that make them rich individuals rather than mouthpieces to run down lists of what made the camps so terrible. Truly the camps were a great injustice, I'm not trying to diminish that, but this is a very clumsy way to get that point across.  Poor Katie Rose Clark was stuck with the worst role- a nurse trying to help the detainees, but unable to because of the Army regulations.

The only actor given something to work with and ultimately made the strongest impression was Michael K Lee. He played the leader of the resistance movement in the camp and also was given the best number, "Paradise," which was a Scottsboro Boys-esque satire number put on at a camp party. It was one of the few times I completely got lost in the show and things caught fire.

Allegiance means so well, but good intentions alone can't will a good book and score into existence.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ebontoyan
#38Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:49pm

Thanks for your reviews Whizzer, I will be getting tix to see both Allegiance and On your Feet! 

c0113g3b0y
#39Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:52pm

"no, because Allegiance doesn't have overhanded religious / anti-atheism crap in it. 

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

Pootie2
#40Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:53pm

Thanks for your report, WhizzerMarvin. Did the creatives stay and interact with audience members for feedback notes? I don't know how previews usually do this, but I doubt they can get enough passive feedback just by sitting in the audience and taking notes that way.

Stafford Arima. I really know nothing about him or his previous works; looking at his credits, I wonder what his direction style is and if "toning down" is something he can do. As for the dance bits you mention, I was  curious how that would fit into a show like this, and it sounds like it's a bit shoehorned. They have a month to adjust things, so I hope they could get decent feedback.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#41Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:55pm

I'd love to see the song list, if anyone who went feels like posting one?

AaronSallan
#42Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:56pm

Also just got home from the first preview. I have been thinking about the show since I left the theatre, and am still blown away. I relate very much to the story. My grandmother is Japanese, and married my grandfather, an American soldier. They faced a ton of prejudice and criticism, causing my grandfather to be released from the army after the war. I don't know all of the details, but I know my family has some of these roots, so it felt great to honor them. 

I mostly came for Lea, and of course she was a wonder. As my dad next to me said, "Her voice is angelic!" She sang and acted beautifully. Telly Leung was also great as her brother. My favorite song in the show was "I Oughta Go", a duet between Leung and Katie Rose Clarke, who plays a nurse in the internment camp. George Takei was hilarious as the grandfather of Leung and Salonga's characters. 

The sets were fantastic. All of the visuals were perfectly suiting, and the costumes and hair/makeup as well. There are some great projections that cover the stage. 

For a first preview, it went really well. The only flubs were very small; someone standing out of light, costume pieces falling off, etc. The sound balance towards the beginning was a little off to me, I couldn't hear the actors, but it fixed itself quickly. I don't know if that was just me or not though. The book is pretty predictable, but that didn't matter too much, as the cast was impeccable. The messages will resonate with me for a while. I am so pleased with this show. Both me and my Dad were head over heels, and I pray this show does well in the box office. Cheers to a great run!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:57pm

What's the design/look of the piece? I find their poster to look very...dated.

WhizzerMarvin
#44Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:09am

Pootie, The creatives are too busy working and taking notes to really poll the audience or something like that on the way out. I think they gauge audience reaction and make adjustments accordingly, but even audience reaction can at times be deceiving. Previews in general, but especially first previews are often filled with family, friends and industry types. They make for warm, enthusiastic, responsive audiences that can create a false sense of what a "normal" audience will be like weeks into the run. I've had many a shock comparing a first preview response with that of a random Wednesday night performance two weeks after opening!

As for Arima, perhaps I'll always be at odds with his bombastic style. I much prefer the naturalism of Sam Gold, the understated elegance of Bartlett Sher or Joe Mantello's way of pulling great performances out of his actors.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 10/7/15 at 12:09 AM

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#45Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:13am

Can anyone tell me if the song "I Haven't Got a Prayer" is still in the show? There's a video of Allie Trimm singing it in 2012 (or maybe earlier, I can't remember what year exactly) and I adore it! 

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#46Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:18am

"

I have no idea how the show will be received and it could very well be awful but let's not diminish the popularity of Lea Salonga and George Takei. Both have huge followings. Salonga is well known by many Disney fans and I often see Takei's social media presence shared by lots of people, many who probably are unfamiliar with Star Trek and his work.

WhizzerMarvin
#47Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:20am

I Haven't Got a Prayer isn't in the show, nor are there any younger actors, so it appears that the role Trimm played was cut.

Song list:

Prologue

Wish on the Wind

Do Not Fight the Storm

Gaman

What Makes a Man

I Oughta Go

Get in the Game

Should I

Allegiance

Ishi Kara Ishi

Paradise

Higher

With You

Our Time Now

ACT TWO

Resist

Allegiance (reprise)

This is Not Over

Higher/Resist (reprise)

Stronger Than Before

With You (reprise)

Nothing in Our Way

Itetsuita

442 Victory Swing

Higher/Ishi Kara Ishi (reprise)

How Can You Go?

What Makes a Man/Wish on the Wind (reprise)

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#48Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:34am

Thank you, Whizzer.

I'm sad that "Second Chances" and "The Mountain's Heart" are gone. I will keep listening to them on youtube. But I am very much still looking forward to this cast recording down the road.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#49Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:38am

I usually agree with WhizzerMarvin but we couldn't be farther apart on this one.

I thought the show was superb, start to finish. For me, it's the best new score I've heard in years. The performances were excellent, Telly Leung has matured into a fine actor; it's his story we're watching, and I found him to be honest and believable. Lea Salonga, of course, is a joy. I don't know how you can say their characters were not fully formed; I thought both of them were very compelling.

After finally seeing THE BOOK OF MORMON last weekend, I was glad to get the bad taste (pun intended) of that show out of my mouth and enjoy a wonderful new play for a change

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'