Allegiance Previews

c0113g3b0y
#200Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 2:08am

A Director said: "The folks who wrote the show are also producing it.  That is not a good sign.  They need an objective eye.  When is comes to theatre, they are just starting out.

They are handing out surveys. LOL!  Name one Broadway producer, past or present, who used/uses surveys.

Just like Amazing Grace, this is a vanity project.

please don't compare Allegiance, which is about the internment of Japanese Americans to a steaming pile of "shove religion down my throat" horsecrap that Amazing Grace is.

"

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#201Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 8:46am

I saw the show for a second time last night. I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it, and I enjoyed it even more the second time. The show is far from perfect, but it is still such an enjoyable and touching show. I didn't notice any major changes between the first preview and last night's performance.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#202Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 9:32am

I prefer Allegiance's message/mission too, but it's not a bad comparison. Highly committed novices bring a piece all the way to Broadway out of conviction in their vision. Craft goes unchecked. 

Pootie2
#203Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 4:55pm

Well, this is interesting. Allegiance on Facebook just posted this:

George Takei Makes Impressive Broadway Debut in WWII Musical 'Allegiance' by Joe Lynch dated Oct 8.

Not even a week into PREVIEWS and there's an official published "review" out? Bad form. While it's positive, to quote Lea Salonga, "Still. It's too early to even review anything, constructive or not. The show two days ago is vastly different from tonight." What if one of the songs mentioned therein is cut or a scene moved around? Well then.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#204Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 5:10pm

Pootie2 said: "What if one of the songs mentioned therein is cut or a scene moved around?"

I think you're overestimating the level of detail people go into a show with... it's easy, they wouldn't notice or care. Allegiance Previews 

TerrenceIsTheMann
#205Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 6:43pm

I know this has pretty much been dropped in the thread already, but Salonga's tweets about previews and BWW were really unprofessional. She should've just not replied- rather than going on and on about how previews don't actually matter. 

ebontoyan
#206Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 7:03pm

Pootie2 said: "Well, this is interesting. Allegiance on Facebook just posted this:

George Takei Makes Impressive Broadway Debut in WWII Musical 'Allegiance' by Joe Lynch dated Oct 8.

Not even a week into PREVIEWS and there's an official published "review" out? Bad form. "

I will give Billboard (who gave the review)  a pass on this. They probably don't know the proper theater review etiquette. Just excited that a mainstream entertainer like George Takei is making his Broadway debut. 

Updated On: 10/12/15 at 07:03 PM

ebontoyan
#207Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/12/15 at 7:18pm

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "I know this has pretty much been dropped in the thread already, but Salonga's tweets about previews and BWW were really unprofessional. She should've just not replied- rather than going on and on about how previews don't actually matter. "

Actually if you read the tweets, she is saying that they are making changes in previews to make the piece better. The original tweet made it sound like this board was reviewing Allegiance already (and right or wrong) she took offense since they were only two days into previews. She also suggested to fill out a survey

I didn't read it that she said previews don't actually matter

Updated On: 10/12/15 at 07:18 PM

moncruzz
#208Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:16am

The original tweet, which Lea replied to, mentioned of a troll that was in this board.  Lea's reply was mostly about the troll.  I think she assumed the link to the board was regarding the troll's judgment of the show, which was only 2 previews in at that time.

Pootie2
#209Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:23am

Yes, Lea Salonga's response really appeared to be a (rather violent cheeky) misunderstanding, and the performers don't really have any business checking this out, as opposed to the creatives.

Anyway, thanks to JBroadway and bwayphreak234 for the reports. Are they doing surveys after each show (since the one LizzieCurry went to)? It doesn't seem sustainable with all that manual data. If they're not doing "major" changes, then I'm curious just how effective their actual changes are.

leefowler
#210Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:23am

Is it a little weird that Lea doesn't like it when people express their opinion on a message board, but then suggests they express their opinion on a questionaire? I mean, if the creative team's goal is to find out what people really think about their show, isn't it helpful to read people's opinions here?

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#211Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:25am

Maybe she feels like the questionnaires are more constructive because it's being delivered right into the hands of the creatives, rather than spreading bad word-of-mouth? I don't really know, I'm just speculating. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#212Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:26am

Their social media is also filled with them retweeting and commenting on positive reviews from audience members, etc., so that seems to just be Lea's position moreso than the show's.

Although, to be fair, actors shouldn't be reading any of this stuff, although they often have no choice since people tag them on social media and such...

Updated On: 10/13/15 at 12:26 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#213Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 12:33am

JBroadway said: "Maybe she feels like the questionnaires are more constructive because it's being delivered right into the hands of the creatives, rather than spreading bad word-of-mouth? I don't really know, I'm just speculating."

They're also neater and easier to aggregate/organize. And they can guarantee that the people who filled them out were at the show.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#214Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 10:03am

"Maybe she feels like the questionnaires are more constructive because it's being delivered right into the hands of the creatives, rather than spreading bad word-of-mouth? I don't really know, I'm just speculating."

Of course that's it.  How could anyone think for a second that publicly bad mouthing a production based on a preview performance on a public board could be as constructive as returning a questionnaire to the creative team?  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#215Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 3:25pm

^Yeah pretty much. I just don't like saying things as if I'm 100% sure that I know what another person is thinking. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#216Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 8:38pm

I just caught myself on this thread and that Twitter-mishap and I find myself extremely angered regarding Lea's response to this. Within TWO DAYS, she goes from "It's too early to review anything, constructive or not" (when a forum comments about her performance/production) to being ecstatic about Billboard giving them a "sweet" review (from a professional publication, also "too early" for being reviewed). Seems like someone can't take some criticism from a community within the industry of which she is performing in but can take a compliment like a champ from a noteworthy and popular publication of which that has nothing to do with the industry that she is performing in. Just my two-cents.

Updated On: 10/13/15 at 08:38 PM

Pootie2
#217Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 9:08pm

https://twitter.com/MsLeaSalonga/status/653806030904803328

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#218Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/13/15 at 9:15pm

Furthering my point...

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#219Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/14/15 at 7:28pm

I will give Billboard (who gave the review)  a pass on this. They probably don't know the proper theater review etiquette.?

Billboard Magazine is 120 years old.  They know.  They just don't care.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ebontoyan
#220Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/14/15 at 7:37pm

And there you go, Billboard just don't care (and they are not a usual theater critic)  so why waste any time and energy complaining about them??! lol Now if these were Ben Brantley or some other NYC theatre critic giving the too early review then that is definitely in bad form as Pootie2 would say.

Updated On: 10/14/15 at 07:37 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#221Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:26pm

GreasedLightning said: "Seems like someone can't take some criticism from a community within the industry of which she is performing in but can take a compliment like a champ from a noteworthy and popular publication of which that has nothing to do with the industry that she is performing in."

It is interesting what the reaction would have been from the show if Billboard hated the show, as far as them just laughing off that no one should be reviewing it yet, but oh well, here you go...

LizzieCurry
#222Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:51am

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/181026/ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Pootie2
#223Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/16/15 at 3:22pm

FYI: Digital lottery and Rush info https://twitter.com/allegiancebway/status/655100844178845696

For the digital lottery (http://allegiancemusical.com/Lottery): all ages, up to 2 tickets per customer, enter by 11am for matinee or 3pm for evening show. Payment and pickup at the box office at least 30 minutes before the show (photo ID, cash or credit).

LizzieCurry
#224Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/16/15 at 4:00pm

Great. Thanks!