pixeltracker

Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX- Page 2

Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX

FindingNamo
#25Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 10:02pm

Maybe she'll be lip-synching for her life.  Like Lucille Ball in Fancy Pants.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#26Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 10:20pm

What will Frank say instead of mental mind fukc?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#27Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 10:39pm

I agree with you JBradshaw.  In any case, it's a moot point.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

musicaltheatreman2
#28Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 11:08pm

Laverne Cox dancing at Broadway Bares!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMHcsYZsdM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 11:11pm

How heavily will the show have to be edited to air on network television? 

FindingNamo
#30Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 11:12pm

"Sometimes, a mental mind-tuck can be nice..."?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#31Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/21/15 at 11:44pm

This one won't have audience participation, will it?  They can't say asshole that many times on the prime time, can they?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 12:22am

I agree with JBradshaw. I think it's awful casting. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 12:53am

It almost seems like they're playing it safe by casting a woman in the role since a woman in that get up is somehow less offensive but then Laverne is transgender so that confuses it. I don't know what to make of it.

Jordan Catalano
#34Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 1:15am

People online are already losing their minds calling anyone who doesn't like the casting "transphobic". 

*Thora Birch Eyeroll*

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#35Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 2:46am

No one will ever touch Tim Curry, so on one hand, non traditional casting probably makes a great deal of sense - a way to step out of Curry's shadow.  On the other hand, as much as I like Laverne Cox's public persona and her activism and the visibility she's brought to trans women of color, I think she is an actress of limited talent.  She is, by far, the weakest actress on OITNB and, despite the lovely wigs and beautifully tailored dresses, she's never struck me as a charismatic presence.  

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#36Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 5:55am

Well it's not what I expected.

I don't love it, but I'm completely open to her proving me wrong.

And how are they going to do this on prime time?

....but the world goes 'round

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 12:44pm

Rocky Horror is, with the exception of one f-bomb, extremely mild by today's standards. It's the audience participation that makes it so racy, not any of the content.

I am more surprised that Cox, who was uncomfortable with some of Hedwigand serves as a LGBT role model, wouldn't be uneasy playing an amoral rapist and murderer who self-identifies as a Queer Messiah and sees no problem with brainwashing and sexual violence.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#38Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 1:30pm

It may not have cursing, but thematically it's easily a hard R.

I mean the climax (pun intended) is an orgy in a pool.

Not to mention the fact that everyone ****s everyone else; homo, hetero, and whatever it is when you have sex with a creation like Rocky.

But I guess by today's standards it's more tame than an episode of Family Guy.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 10/22/15 at 01:30 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#39Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 2:07pm

darquegk said: "I am more surprised that Cox, who was uncomfortable with some of Hedwigand serves as a LGBT role model, wouldn't be uneasy playing an amoral rapist and murderer who self-identifies as a Queer Messiah and sees no problem with brainwashing and sexual violence."

Hedwig is human. Frank is an alien. You're welcome.

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#40Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/22/15 at 9:58pm

HorseTears said: "No one will ever touch Tim Curry, so on one hand, non traditional casting probably makes a great deal of sense - a way to step out of Curry's shadow.  On the other hand, as much as I like Laverne Cox's public persona and her activism and the visibility she's brought to trans women of color, I think she is an actress of limited talent.  She is, by far, the weakest actress on OITNB and, despite the lovely wigs and beautifully tailored dresses, she's never struck me as a charismatic presence."

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT. I like her as a person, but seriously on OITNB she is so dull. I feel like she got so much press because she is trans. Like we get it. We really do. But there are so many actresses on that show that do so much better than her. The actresses who plays Pentatusky, Poussey, Tastee, Murello, etc. They have each made such specific, memorable roles and have done such a great work on the show. I think there are other people who are more interesting than the character Laverne Cox's Sophia. She is lackluster in this show. I haven't seen her in anything else to make judgement of her as an actress

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#41Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:26pm

darquegk said: "Rocky Horror is, with the exception of one f-bomb, extremely mild by today's standards. It's the audience participation that makes it so racy, not any of the content."

Not if they do the show as written. Frank's lust for Rocky, and the "bedroom" scenes involving Frank, Janet & Brad are still pretty racy.  (I seriously doubt we'll see Frank picking a pubic hair out from between his teeth.)

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#42Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:49pm

As long as nudity isn't shown and no one swears they can get away with some pretty racy stuff on network TV these days.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#43Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:59pm

They should replace the sexual content with gore and they'll have no problems!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#44Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:04pm

Exactly!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

MVintheheartland
#45Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:36pm

I loved her in Orange, have a girl crush on her !

Jordan Catalano
#46Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:38pm

Cool. I have a boy crush on Jennifer Aniston but she's a woman and shouldn't be staring in ROCKY, either. 

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#47Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:46pm

i think it wouldve been awesome if Fox had the cast of Glee do it 

When They Go Low, I Go High

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#48Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 2:03pm

Personally, I think that Justin Vivian Bond would have been a better choice. My favorite thing about Frank is the low baritone (almost bass) range of his songs. Bond can sing in that range. I also wonder about the blend of masculine and feminine in Frank's character; although Cox was born male, she's not got a lot of masculine quality about her. Maybe she's a better actor than she's been able to show thus far and will be able to bring that out (so to speak).

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#49Laverne Cox to star in Rocky Horror on FOX
Posted: 10/23/15 at 2:10pm

Jesus, pintowhatsitsname, why don't you go away?

Re Cox, I truly admire her activist work as a trans woman of color and I'm so in awe of how unabashedly political she is. But I don't think she's a good actress at all. Her line deliveries in particular tend to be inconsistent and somewhat artificial. I'm also not sure how I feel about the casting of a woman in the role. I'd be all in if it were a man, trans or not, but casting a woman here seems off. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"