pixeltracker

Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?

Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#1Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 1:42am

What are the chances Hamilton could be nominated or even win Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards?  Has any Broadway cast recording ever been nominated or won Album of the Year?  

aaaaaa15
#2Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 1:51am

I remember reading that Funny Girl and Jesus Christ Superstar had been nominated but didn't win. My memory is a little hazy so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd say Hamilton has a (small?) chance of being nominated but I'd be (happily) shocked if it won. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 1:54am

It will definitely win the Grammy for best cast recording (which I'm kind of sad that Fun Home won't have the chance to win one). As for Best Album, I doubt it would win but I could possibly see it being nominated. What a thrill that would be for Lin-Manuel and everyone involved!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#4Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 2:00am

Just did a little research and saw that Judy Garland won in 1962 for her Judy at Carnegie Hall album.  Of course that was a very different time.  

There have also been a couple of soundtracks that have won - The Bodyguard, and O Brother Where Art Thou. Not sure about any previous cast recording nominations though.  

How wonderful that would be for Broadway to just have a nominee in the running for the big award.

Honestly, it is my favorite album so far this year; however, Adele might come along and ruin it for everyone. 

aaaaaa15
#5Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 3:59am

Adele won't be eligible until the year after. We're looking at Taylor Swift/Kendrick Lamar competition.

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#6Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 4:33am

Wow, that gives Hamilton an even better chance.  Didn't realize the cut off date already happened. 

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#7Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 7:29am

For what it's worth, Rolling Stone  gave the album 4.5 stars, a rating they usually reserve for works that they consider "instant classics."  I could see this getting a best album nom. 

dev101
#8Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 8:01am

That would be so great for Hamilton to win. Then LMM would only need an Oscar to EGOT

ebontoyan
#9Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 8:04am

LMM already has a Tony, Emmy and Grammy. He only needs an Oscar for his EGOT!

But it will be great for LMM to win another Grammy

Updated On: 11/7/15 at 08:04 AM

dev101
#10Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 8:35am

And he is writing for the new Disney movie Moana, so maybe one of the songs from that will give him his Oscar! 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#11Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 8:52am

I'm hearing people who know nothing about musical theatre humming songs from this show.   It may have a decent shot at being so much more than just a little cast recording.  If the Grammy's know what's up, they'll recognize that Hamilton is truly the best album of the year.

After Eight
#12Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:22am

"It will definitely win the Grammy for best cast recording (which I'm kind of sad that Fun Home won't have the chance to win one)."

You see, even the unending procession of storm clouds that represent today's theatre can offer a silver lining. When you have so many dismal, overrated, overhyped entities opening one right after another, invariably they are going to have to compete with one another for awards. And then, some of them are by necessity going to have to lose. And however scant that solace may be for those who love the theatre, we can be thankful for whatever solace we can get!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#13Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:36am

Actually, I think it has excellent shot of nomination for "Album Of The Year". As for winning, beats me because there has been some very strange Grammy winners. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#14Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:52am

I think it has an excellent chance, especially with the addition of The Roots to the team. It's long been considered Taylor's to lose, but what Hamilton does really outclasses that.

jimmycurry01
#15Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 10:51am

After Eight, I admit that thus far Hilton has not been my cup of tea. I tried listing to the cast recording and it did not really speak to me. I do understand why it speaks to do many others. I will probably give it another shot in the future. 

I am curious though,  as to what direction you would like to have seen musical theatre go in. Keeping in mind that nothing remains the same, nor should it, how do you think the progression from Show Boat to Oklahoma to Hair to Jesus Christ Superstar to Rent to Hamilton should have gone? It feels like a very natural progression  to me. If you could, how would you alter this progression? I am sure you would not have wanted it to become stagnant and stale, because that would have brought an end to the art years ago. I know you don't seem to enjoy any musical written before 1980. You tell us all the time that you hate the direction that the art form  is going in,  but you never tell us what you'd like to see instead. I don't ask to be a dick, I am genuinely curious about your opinion on how the art form should have changed through the years.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#16Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 12:38pm

stargazer2 said: "Honestly, it is my favorite album so far this year; however, Adele might come along and ruin it for everyone. "

Agreed about it being the best album of the year. Luckily for everyone at the Grammy's in February they won't have to worry about 25 taking all the big awards. I expect the 2016 Grammy's to be the Adele show just like in 2012.

After Eight, I truly don't understand how you feel about the current state of musical theater. Sure, many things are over-hyped. But wonderful things are still being produced. If you don't have the eyesight to recognize that, I feel sorry for you.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 11/7/15 at 12:38 PM

After Eight
#17Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 10:40pm

" how do you think the progression from Show Boat to Oklahoma to Hair to Jesus Christ Superstar to Rent to Hamilton should have gone? "

Show Boat to Oklahoma to My Fair Lady to Hello, Dolly! to Mame  to Dear World to La Cage Aux Folles  to Little Mary Sunshine to Kiss Me, Kate to Whoopee, to Good News to Oh, Kay! to No, No, Nanette to Very Good Eddie to The Red Mill and back again...

"It feels like a very natural progression  to me. If you could, how would you alter this progression? "

Not to me. See above.

"I am sure you would not have wanted it to become stagnant and stale,"

What you deem as "stagnation" is preferable by far to change for the worse. And looking at the sorry state of things, one wonders if it can even get any worse. I won't hazard to say it can't because it no doubt can, and in all likelihood, will!

FindingNamo
#18Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 10:45pm

^^^ He was in favor of the Starland Vocal Band win at the Grammys for Best New Artist over Elvis Costello, the Sondheim of the new wave

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#19Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/7/15 at 11:16pm

ChildofEarth said: "I think it has an excellent chance, especially with the addition of The Roots to the team. It's long been considered Taylor's to lose, but what Hamilton does really outclasses that."

Totally agree.  God help us if Taylor Swift would be considered superior by the Grammy voters.  

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#20Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:05am

As a Grammy voter, I would say that "Hamilton" has an outside shot at being nominated for Album of the Year. Not a good shot, but it's possible.

Note that the OBCR of "Jesus Christ Superstar" was nominated for Album of the Year in 1973, but didn't win. Conventional folklore has it that Grammy voters either thought they were nominating the original studio cast recording (which was eligible in a prior year), or were trying to make up for not nominating that studio album when they had the chance.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#21Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:09am

And yes, the OBCR of "Funny Girl" was nominated in 1965, but so was Barbra's "People" album. That may have split some votes, and the award went to Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, in a rare win for a jazz album.

c0113g3b0y
#22Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/8/15 at 3:42am

How old is After Eight? Hopefully he's near the age of croaking, so we won't have to see his stupidity on the boards anymore.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#23Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/8/15 at 8:07am

" God help us if Taylor Swift would be considered superior by the Grammy voters."

Actually, her album has received pretty good reviews from Rolling Stone magazine and the NY Times.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#24Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:23pm

yankeefan7 said: "" God help us if Taylor Swift would be considered superior by the Grammy voters."

Actually, her album has received pretty good reviews from Rolling Stone magazine and the NY Times."

Doesn't mean her album was the best, though. ._.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 11/8/15 at 12:23 PM

BobBenson Profile Photo
BobBenson
#25Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?
Posted: 11/9/15 at 5:56am

I was hoping the revival of THE KING & I would win it.

Videos