School of Rock Previews

OldPosterNewName
#50School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:21am

I believe Sara Chase is filming season two of 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' (which I can't wait to see!) :)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#51School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 9:17am

What is the set like?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

FindingNamo
#52School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 9:33am

Jesus, anybody who read a blurb on the School of Rock movie and heard one ALW cast recording could have written the AfterEight post.  Probably another show he never saw but has to pontificate on.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MNC77
#53School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 9:47am

Saw this last night and it was a very fun, but not at all deep, musical. The show almost reminds me of the vibe people describe for On Your Feet! in that there were many moments when it felt like a concert, in a good way. The songs are overall very fun, though mainly because of the extraordinary children. If Only You Would Listen works very well as a serious song in the first act. Whatever song it is the principal sang in the second act did not. 

As many have said, Sierra Boggess is woefully miscast as Miss Mullins, and as a result the role suffers. You can tell Webber adjusted the role to fit her, and the changes were not for the better.

Part of the problem is the show tries to throw in some serious moments, but doesn't earn almost any of them. None of the children really have their parental drama fully develop, which would be much more intriguing than watching band practice 18 times. Miss Mullins is also not in the show enough to develop that (to quote the show) "bitchy" vibe, or to build any chemistry with the lead.

The show doesn't really deal with a strong message either. The main messages appear to be listen to your children, and rock and roll makes the world go round.

All that being said, Brightman does a very good job as the lead, and the kids are the heart of the show. Though I don't think the show was anything particularly moving, I enjoyed myself, mostly because of how talented all the kids were

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#54School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:06am

Loved this show.  Everything about it was spot on.  Won't be a smash but will run for a while I'm sure.

Alex Brightman is great in the role.  Very energetic, has a good voice, and he's funny.  Sierra Boggess is fine in the role.  Can probably be played by any good Broadway actress.  The kids are all incredible in their own way.  Bobbi MacKenzie (Tomika) shines when she does her "Amazing Grace" solo.  This is a girl that will be a huge Broadway or pop star if she pursues this as a career.  Incredible voice.

What I think is important in a Broadway show is that Act 2 follows a great Act 1.  This show does that.  I especially loved the way they ended it.  A lot like the movie.  Crowd was on their feet for the entire last number.  That's when you know you did a great job on that stage.

Looks like ALW has another great production to add to his portfolio.  Go see it if you haven't bought tickets yet.  Take the kids (any age above 8 or 9 is probably fine).  Definitely a fun night in the theater.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#55School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 6:55pm

Seeing this tonight! Very excited, I'll report back.

"...and in a bed."

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#56School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 11:50pm

You guys. I just LOVED this show. It felt like all the best and most confident parts of Legally Blonde and Sister Act mixed in a blender with the spirit of rock. The show zips along with such energy, you just get caught up in the whirlwind of joy. 

The kids are spectacular. Boggess is strong. Loved the adult ensemble. The set is smart and economical but FEELS big and grand. Great lighting.

The score is catchy like you won't believe. ALW's best work in probably 20 years. I haven't heard so many people singing out loud during intermission. 

But guys, the whole evening being such a high is due to Alex Brightman's freaking tour de force. He zips, zooms, jumps, screams, and flies over the stage, belts song after song, but never loses the heart of Dewey. Yes, this guy is a dumbass and a "loser", but he's passionate and he believes he's doing good (in his own way). His rapport with the kids is believable from the first moment and their interplay is the heart of the show.

I seriously can't believe I'm saying this about "School of Rock: The Musical" but this is one of the best new musicals I've seen in a long time. I guarantee if you let yourself get swept away on the current of rock, you'll leave on a genuine high. Loved it!

"...and in a bed."
Updated On: 11/14/15 at 11:50 PM

After Eight
#57School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/15/15 at 12:32am

"Yes, this guy is a dumbass and a "loser""

Yes, indeed. And also a jerk,slob, moocher, liar, and fraud. Just the kind of character we're supposed to root for.

Actually, the character I most sympathized with was the woman who had to endure living with this boor/parasite in her home. She was angry about it, and rightfully so. She displayed the most common sense of anyone in the show.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/15/15 at 12:35am

Cool story, Grandpa. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#59School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/15/15 at 12:44am

After Eight said: "Actually, the character I most sympathized with was the woman who had to endure living with this boor/parasite in her home. She was angry about it, and rightfully so. She displayed the most common sense of anyone in the show."

But she lost her ability to believe in the restorative power of rock?!

FindingNamo
#60School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/15/15 at 1:47am

I don't believe fir a second that SectionEight saw the show. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/15/15 at 2:19am

^^ She did say the same thing, as she tends to do, after the first preview...

Pauly3
#62School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:38am

Loved this production.  It follows the movie quite closely, and all of the scenes from the movie you would hope are recreated on the stage are included.  This is a huge plus because those scenes are so much fun, and the performances are something to behold. The cast, especially those flippin' kids, is fantastic.  Alex Brightman shines and I expect would be loved whether one idolized Jack Black in the movie role or not.  I had no problem with Sierra Bogges and thought she played the part well.  I can envision a quirkier take, perhaps played by a more comedic actress, that would take the character to another level.  But all in all, I liked Sierra.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the show, I am not currently in any hurry to see this a 2nd time (even if I thought I would have another opportunity sometime soon).  I liked all of the music in the show, but I think the songs from the movie are all ones that stood out as best.  I haven't listened to the cast recording yet, but I will - and I won't be too surprised if I find myself wanting to go back and see this a 2nd time.

PeterUK79
#63School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 1:33pm

Saw the show last night (and at the Gramercy) and I'm happy to report its still a feel good time at the theatre. Deep? No. Entertaining? Very much so. Alex Brigtman is giving a star performance and the kids are incredible. I do miss the girl playing the principal at the Gramercy. I dont have a "problem" per se with Sierra it is just a missed opportunity when they could have found someone far stronger and more interesting for that role. The role just sort of disappears now. But still a great show for what it is and I think ALW is going to have another long run at the Winter Garden.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#64School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:32pm

Anyone know if they do lottery losing tickets for every performance? Where does that line form exactly?

thank you!

Sam2
#65School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:56pm

Yes. $37 dollar, normally they're partial view but there have been full view seats sold during previews.

-- 

I might have been asleep when I wrote this, misunderstood your question, sorry! 

Updated On: 11/17/15 at 02:56 PM

cardamon Profile Photo
cardamon
#66School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 3:28pm

Re the lottery loser seats, the line forms on the opposite side of the theatre from where they have the lottery winners line up. They tell people not to line up until after the drawing is done, so last night to punish the people who had lined up during the drawing (or possibly because there were a bunch of little kids at the back of the line), the lotto monitor had the back of the line go to the box office first. My seat ended up being in the last row of the orchestra, which was a perfectly fine view.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#67School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 3:56pm

cardamon said: "hey tell people not to line up until after the drawing is done, so last night to punish the people who had lined up during the drawing (or possibly because there were a bunch of little kids at the back of the line), the lotto monitor had the back of the line go to the box office first."

I'd just go get a rush ticket for Dames at Sea until they stop feeling drunk with power.

BWAY Baby2
#68School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 8:31pm

Saw it on Saturday matinee- and loved it.  Not deep or thought provoking- but a good time and very entertaining.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#69School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 9:32pm

Seeing the matinee tomorrow and I'm pretty stoked. Will post my thoughts tomorrow night.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#70School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 10:12pm

Just thought it would be worth to note. Sierra is out tonight and Mamie Parris is on for her with Natalie Charle Ellis on for Patty. 

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#71School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 10:59pm

Saw the show tonight.  Mamie Paris was on for Seirra and she was WONDERFUL as Rosalie!  She was absolutely perfect for the role and did an amazing job.  Her vocals and acting are top notch!  From what everyone on this board was saying about Sierra being miscast I was so excited when I saw Mamie was playing the role.  

The show is lots of fun.  I had a great time.  The music is catchy, the cast is super talented and there are some touching moments.  A definite crowd pleaser!

Updated On: 11/17/15 at 10:59 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#72School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/18/15 at 1:54am

BroadwayLuv2 said: "From what everyone on this board was saying about Sierra being miscast I was so excited when I saw Mamie was playing the role."

I'm not sure I would take what people say on here that seriously...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#73School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:00am

Guess I'm in the minority. Brightman is doing a DIRECT impersonation of Jack Black in the movie. The kids are cute. The show is silly. For this show to try to hammer in an anti-establishment message is never less than hilariously ironic. You can't get more establishment than this production. Slater's lyrics are, as usual, wannabe Ashman with none of the wit. Webber is his usual self. Sort of catchy in the moment, nothing to take away.  There is not for a second a realistic defense of teaching arts in schools. This is The Music Man, but less sincere and certainly less tuneful. 

Updated On: 11/19/15 at 12:00 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#74School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:19am

How is Sierra already calling out?