School of Rock Previews

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#100School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 10:22am

LimelightMike said: 1. Is the stage high for this production?

I saw the show from the middle of the front row and the stage did not seem high at all. There is a large gap between the front row and the edge of the stage that gives you some really nice leg room!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#101School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 10:27am

Do they have an orchestra? Or are all the children the orchestra?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#102School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 2:43pm

The stage is not high at all, and I have never had so much leg room in a first row, ever.  

The only knock I will say is when the student's desks are out, even front row on the aisle becomes partially blocked.  But really I am not going to complain too much for $25

I love Sierra, but I am going to picture Mamie in the role when I think about it.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#103School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/23/15 at 1:10pm

I saw Mamie on Friday night, and thought she was marvelous, making the most out of what feels like an "enhanced" featured role, not co-starring, but slightly larger than Ned and his wife.  (I'm probably not explaining what I mean very well here, sorry.)

Overall, I enjoyed the show a lot, and found the music to be fun and spot-on for this show.  I'm glad to see that the era of cloying, annoying child actors in Broadway shows seems to be a thing of the past.  These kids are right up there with those in Fun Home and Matilda and others currently on the boards.

KathyNYC2
#104School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/23/15 at 1:15pm

In reply to an earlier post.....Only some of the children in the show play instruments in the "band" - some sing in the band... and some portray other roles such as dresser, manager, etc. They are all pretty fabulous at what they do...

There other adult musicians who you see on stage at the start of the show and for a couple of minutes later on... but there is no orchestra pit or band on stage during the show. The conductor takes a bow at the end...

Updated On: 11/23/15 at 01:15 PM

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#105School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/27/15 at 11:28pm

Let me first say that the many kids, and their young families, seemed to love SOR. For the rest of us, what it really is is THE MUSIC MAN meets THE SOUND OF MUSIC set to rock, and it is every bit as calculated as it sounds (but how could it not be with ALW involved?) What amused me most was that ALW also gets credit for the ear-splitting orchestrations...perhaps that's to drown out the soporific lyrics of Glenn Slater, famous for his LOVE NEVER DIES lyrics (ALW everywhere). In truth, there are only seven or so actual songs, with endless reprises of the each one. Alex Brightman has tremendous energy as he does his Jack Black bit, but it gets pretty tiresome by the end of the first act. And don't blame Sierra; it is a totally unwritten role that would be virtually unplayable by anyone. The parents/teachers are barely stick figures, all doing just what you'd expect them to. There is some real talent among the kids, but it is a little unnerving to see all these pre-teens striking adult/sexual poses over and over. Do you want to hear a real child sing from the soul? Then head to FUN HOME.

#106School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/28/15 at 4:18pm

"it is every bit as calculated as it sounds (but how could it not be with ALW involved?)"

since when are ALW shows "calculated?"

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#107School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/28/15 at 6:42pm

people dismissing ALW is beyond tiring.

Totally get it - that he's not everyone's cup of tea.  Which is fine.  There's tons on broadway that I've thought is crap/think is crap - that does well (or in some cases really well)  But to diss him because he's ALW is pretty sad.  The guy has been immensely successful - probably the most financially successful theater composer of our time; has won all imaginable theater, music and film awards.  Deal with it:  lots of people disagree with your opinion.  It's okay, the world won't end.  So you don't have to talk badly about the guy just to justify your dislike.  End of rant

Matt1
#108School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:17am

I am not a big ALW fan, but saw SOR tonight and must say it was probably the most fun I has in the theater in a long time.   The music is catchy and memorable, Alex Brightman is a true star and worth every penny of the ticket, the children are brilliant and the I actually liked Sierra Boggess in her role.   I plan on going back once it officially opens to see it again.  

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#109School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:53am

Saw the show tonight and went in with low expectations. I ended up really enjoying it! The message of the show is really is wonderful. That being said there were a ton of lyrics that made me cringe they were so bad...i also think the song "Dewey's Confession" should just be cut.

#110School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 2:31am

chernjam said: "people dismissing ALW is beyond tiring. Totally get it - that he's not everyone's cup of tea.  Which is fine.  There's tons on broadway that I've thought is crap/think is crap - that does well (or in some cases really well)  But to diss him because he's ALW is pretty sad.  The guy has been immensely successful - probably the most financially successful theater composer of our time; has won all imaginable theater, music and film awards.  Deal with it:  lots of people disagree with your opinion.  It's okay, the world won't end.  So you don't have to talk badly about the guy just to justify your dislike.  End of rant"

THANK YOU!

After Eight
#111School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 7:55am

"The message of the show is really is wonderful."

To what message are you referring? Frankly, I found the message ---or messages --- of the show to be what was most off-putting about it. You can mooch, lie, and perpetrate fraud and get away with it. Being slovenly and unkempt is "cool." Rock music is better than classical music, (or anything else worthwhile) to allow one to express/find oneself. Not wanting a slovenly moocher/parasite living in one's home is unreasonable.

What message did you admire?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#112School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 8:15am

People have the right to discuss whatever they want, about whomever. ALW hardly needs anyone sticking up for him. 

What purpose does your scolding hold?  It's ok to put a poster down for his opinion, but NOT ok for the poster to put down ALW?

Of course he's successful, of course there are people that do like him....STILL doesn't mean that others don't.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#113School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 12:16pm

I loved this show. Loved it so much. Let me preface this section, I am a huge fan of the movie and of Jack Black. This show had me smiling from the top of the show. Alex Brightman perfectly embodied Jack Black, while still adding his own spin on it. He was non-stop this entire show and I loved it. Sierra Boggess did a very nice job as Ms. Mullins, she was quite funny and her song was solid, even if it didn't play to her strengths (She was still in a ankle brace/wrap thing during the show). The kids were FANTASTIC. They all had such natural talent and were all truly funny. Standouts were Luca Padovan (Billy), Isabella Russo (Summer), Bobbi MacKenzie (Tomika), and Brandon Niederauer (Zach). I liked the set and the way it moved (also, that couch/bed lift had to have been the quickest set lift I have ever seen in my life), fantastic lighting. Overall the show is a joy. Yes it is very similar to the movie, but the kids are so talented, and Alex Brightman gives a non-stop performance. We sat in row D, seat 6 and 8, right orch. Sierra came out first at the stagedoor, then Moses and Mammie, all the kids came out together, and then Alex came out about 20 minutes later. Go see this show, I was smiling the last 20 minutes like a complete idiot.

#114School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 12:41pm

dramamama611 said: "People have the right to discuss whatever they want, about whomever. ALW hardly needs anyone sticking up for him. What purpose does your scolding hold?  It's ok to put a poster down for his opinion, but NOT ok for the poster to put down ALW? Of course he's successful, of course there are people that do like him....STILL doesn't mean that others don't."

People love to pick on ALW because he's ALW.  Talk about the score and the show instead of putting down ALW.

"

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#115School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:29pm

Has anyone done the lotto lately? Going to do it Wednesday matinee (assuming I lose Hamilton) and was wondering if it's very crowded usually? Also wondering if they are still doing lotto loser seats and the price of them if they are?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#116School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:31pm

No one said anything PERSONAL about him.  The comments wete ALL about his work, his style.

ALW doesn't read these boards, and even if he did, he can take the criticism....he's had a lot of practice.   

NOTE: YOU are talking about individuals and not the show at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#117School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:35pm

n2nbaby said: "Has anyone done the lotto lately? Going to do it Wednesday matinee (assuming I lose Hamilton) and was wondering if it's very crowded usually? Also wondering if they are still doing lotto loser seats and the price of them if they are?"

I did the Wednesday afternoon lotto the week before Thanksgiving week. There were maybe 30 people there. I was the 3rd or 4th person called. The did offer lotto loser seats. I don't remember the price of the lotto loser seats. It's a pretty easy lottery to win.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#118School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 1:50pm

I caught this one last weekend, and I had a ton of fun. I had some hesitations about the score going in based upon their press performances but left convinced that it worked well in the context of the show. In fact, I'm really looking forward to receiving my pre-order of the cast album next week given that I ended up loving quite a few of the songs. The physical design was another strength of this production.

The only part of the show for which I didn't care was that Dewey faced very little serious opposition up until the latter part of the second act. I had assumed that Principal Mullins would be more of an obstacle to him but was surprised by how little the character interfered with any of his shenanigans. His friend's wife Patty seemed like the only true threat; yet, she came off as such as a shrill woman that it was easy to dismiss her opposition. Seeing as Mamie and her understudy were on in those parts, perhaps that same dynamic isn't always in place. However, the most likely culprit seemed to be the book. Thanks to some suspension of disbelief and to Alex Brightman's winning performance, that was easy to get over. 

Updated On: 11/29/15 at 01:50 PM

Broadway Guru
#119School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:23pm

Interesting weekend at the show (yes I work there. I freely and proudly admit it). Alex Brightman took off both Fri. and Sun. matinees for vocal rest. His understudy, Jonathan Wagner, went on both shows. Jonathan did a fine job, especially if you have nothing to compare it to (i.e. Alex's performance). I don't think the audience left disappointed.

Andrew came back from London and was in and out. Actually most of the creative are merely floating in and out nowadays, although I can't say for sure that the show is officially frozen.

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones were there with their kids. SUPER attractive family, although MIchael Douglas is showing his age.

The show is continuing to sell quite well, and it looks like we will be there for awhile.

And to the person who wanted to know what the message of the show is you clearly were not listening closely. Listen to the words of the reprise of "Make You Listen" for the answer. To give you a hint it starts "I was lost lost and alone. So much hurt bottled inside....You raised my voice up taught me not to fear."  Each child sings their own line about what Dewey gave them, but the bottom line is he teaches them self-respect, gives them a sense of self-worth and empowers them through music....something their parents never did. This is epitomized in the relationship between Zack and his father.

The journey of the show is the kids', not necessarily Dewey's. It has nothing at all to do with getting away with something. It has to do with what he does to these children's lives. I feel sorry if that went over your head. What you are talking about is what happens in the show and not what it means.

It's a beautiful message for a fun show where people scream and dance at the end then leave singing the songs. Every night there is a standing ovation where no one stays sitting. Kids and senior citizens alike are loving it. It's so great to see multiple generations going to the theater together. I've never experienced anything like it.

Updated On: 11/29/15 at 11:23 PM

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#120School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/30/15 at 2:29pm

Revisited the show again on Subday. Jonathan Wagner was on for Alex Brightman and he did really well. I can see him taking over if Alex ever leaves. I really like all the changes. Natasha Katz lighting is amazing. The kids are still fantastic. Still unimpressed by Sierra Boggess but it doesn't matter. The show works and I think the Winter Garden has found a new long term tenant.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#121School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/30/15 at 5:27pm

Is the show frozen by now? You have to figure critics will be seeing it this coming week.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#122School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/30/15 at 5:37pm

In terms of it being "Frozen" - I'm wondering if it's changed much since previews started.  It seems the May tryouts gave them most of the info/feedback they were looking for that they went and recorded the cast album in May so it didnt seem like they were doing a lot of revisions during previews

Broadway Guru
#123School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:26pm

The show has actually changed quite a bit during previews. One song was cut and replaced with a reprise of a different song. A reprise of another song was cut entirely for an orchestral interlude.

There are certain scenes that were rewritten daily. Jokes came and went, blocking got altered, costumes changed and, lately, even line readings have changed.

A lot of the lyrics you hear on the cast album have also been changed. I should also mention in passing that any connecting dialogue between parts of the songs have been cut out of the cast recording, so it might give the songs a more disjointed feel than they really have.

All in all it's been a lot of fun to witness the creative process of putting a show like this together. I'm grateful I got the opportunity to be there for it.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#124School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:44pm

Thanks Broadwayguru for giving the scoop.  I do find these creative processes fascinating.  Loved getting updates and reports from people in other ALW premieres (I remember after the first preview of Love Never Dies when they were sharing how the show ran close to 3 hours!)

Do you remember which song was cut?

I'm still trying to figure out why ALW sees the need to record so early (LND, Stephen Ward, and now School of Rock) all recorded prior to previews -and in almost all cases some substantial changes were made in those weeks.  Why not wait?  I mean as an ALW fan I usually want to hear what his score is like ASAP - but is it a cost-effective move to do it before the show is running?