pixeltracker

Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?- Page 2

Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:29am

Julie Andrews was 21. Christine Andreas was 25. Audrey Hepburn was 34. Kelli O'Hara is 39. These days 30 us the new 20. She looks great for her age and she can most definitely sing the score. If I had my pick I would choose Laura Osnes.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#26Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:59am

If they must revive this "dusty old musical," an accepted classic with one of the great scores based on a wonderful play by George Bernard Shaw, ( those opera companies should stop dusting off Carmen every other year), Kelli would be wonderful in it if she can get through the age barrier.  

The roles of Eliza and Anna are not dissimilar. Anna is a woman thrust into an alien culture where she is forced to deal with a powerful and intimidating king. In the case of Eliza, she is transported into a different class and must also deal with an egotistical and intimidating teacher.

Kelli in TK&I is superb in her comedic clashes with the king and the clashes with Higgins would open up many laughter opportunities.

On the other hand, while Kelli is still in her prime years, I almost wish that she would anchor a new musical more suitable to her age. But then I guess she tried that in Madison County and it didn't work out too well.

Updated On: 11/23/15 at 10:59 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:05am

People are talking about Kelli like she's in an elderly home breaking her hip day in and day out. Relax. She's well out of youth, to be sure, but she isn't exactly enfeebled.

#28Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:19am

I'm sorry but she's just too old for this. I'm sure she would sing it well, but why not let a relative unknown who's more age appropriate and better suited for the role have a go at it? 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:22am

Do you think they'll let her use her walker on stage, since she's so old and fragile?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#30Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:25am

Jordan Catalano said: "Do you think they'll let her use her walker on stage, since she's so old and fragile?"

Exactly. Kelli and this production will be revolutionary in breaking ableist boundaries on Broadway.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#31Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:34am

If you want an age-inappropriate diva in the role, why not just go all out and call in Bernadette Peters, Victoria Clark, Betty Buckley, Glenn Close, Josie de Guzman, or Rosalind Elias to audition?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#32Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:47am

newintown said: "If you want an age-inappropriate diva in the role, why not just go all out and call in Bernadette Peters, Victoria Clark, Betty Buckley, Glenn Close, Josie de Guzman, or Rosalind Elias to audition?

"Barbara Cook is still alive.  

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:57am

NOW you're thinking! She could alternate with Shirley Jones! And Marni!

VintageSnarker
#34Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 3:08pm

This is one of the very few musicals where I would like them to actually cast British actors. My issue with Kelli is not her age but her ability to convincingly sustain an accent and bring the grit that Eliza has. To me, Kelli, Laura Benanti, and Laura Osnes don't feel like that "Just You Wait" part of Eliza and again, this is one of the very few times where I don't just want to hear a pretty soprano. I liked the Colin Firth as the name talent and a relative unknown as Eliza rumor that was floating around.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#35Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 3:15pm

I feel like Kelli as Eliza would be the dullest thing ever. We've seen her play that type  of  character for years now. Yes I know she's our go to gal for classical broadway musicals but I think someone with more of an edge would be better suited. Eliza is perfect for Benati, I really don't think anyone would do it better than her.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#36Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 3:15pm

I can't think of two people I would want to see do this less. 

Lauren Worsham is my dream Eliza, and she's the right age. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#37Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 3:16pm

VintageSnarker said: "This is one of the very few musicals where I would like them to actually cast British actors. "

Who is them? 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#38Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 4:18pm

HogansHero said: "Who is them? "

Probably the people in charge of casting this rumored production.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#39Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 5:29pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "I can't think of two people I would want to see do this less. 

Lauren Worsham is my dream Eliza, and she's the right age."

Yes! Or Lisa O'Hare.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#40Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 6:00pm

I wonder if Julia Udine could pull off the accents.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 6:13pm

Gypsy, 

There are no people casting this. All there are are 2 actors who are said to want to do it, and a director who has the rights who wants to do it. If and when these 3 individuals get someone to produce the show (or do it themselves), there will be no casting director who is tasked with biting the hand that feeds him or her. 

Gothampc
#42Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 8:36pm

Kelli is too porcelain to play Eliza Doolittle.  She'll never be believed as a coarse flowergirl.  The whole point of the character is they take a street urchin and pass her off as a lady.  Not that they take a lady with black greasepaint on her cheeks and turn her into a lady without black greasepaint on her cheeks.  Get someone who can pull off the coarseness of the character.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#43Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 8:58pm

Let's remember Roger Friedman also said Renee Zellweger would make her Broadway debut in something like THE HUSTLER or some other adaptation. I don't trust him at all. But really, I hope he is wrong. O'Hara is a lovely performer but I would rather see her take on something less expected, perhaps a straight play or something else. 

And oh God, I'd hate to see Higgins go to Grammer. There are SO many brilliant actors from Broadway, TV and film who'd bring something special to the role. There's few people I'd be less interested in seeing in the role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

musicaltheatreman2
#44Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 9:09pm

I always think of Kelli O' Hara as "the new" Rebecca Luker in the since that when Rebecca Luker was younger and around Kelli's age she was the "go to girl" for classic musical revivals, which is not a bad thing. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#45Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:50pm

Gothampc said: "Kelli is too porcelain to play Eliza Doolittle.  She'll never be believed as a coarse flowergirl.  The whole point of the character is they take a street urchin and pass her off as a lady.  Not that they take a lady with black greasepaint on her cheeks and turn her into a lady without black greasepaint on her cheeks.  Get someone who can pull off the coarseness of the character.

"

Interesting take. How about Kelli in Pajama Game?

Rebecca Luker, with her lovely soprano, didn't have the acting ability of O'Hara. She had just two Tony nominations for leading actress. Based on her performance in Encores' Boys From Syracuse I think that there was another side of her that she never got the chance to show. After her very good Magnolia in the Show Boat revival, her future looked brighter than it turned out.

I remember reading the re-review of Sound of Music in the Times after Laura Benanti had taken over as Maria. I felt sorry for Rebecca for having to read the critic's opinion that the show was better with Benanti.

wonkit
#46Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 10:57pm

Kelsey Grammer? Really?  With all the talented good looking Brits around who could handle Higgins, Kelsey Grammar? I wouldn't pay to see it, no matter who they use for Eliza.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#47Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:04pm

Her age doesn't matter.  Her voice is absolutely clear and gorgeous and she's going to sound fantastic.  She's a great actress and I'm sure that she'll pull it off.  I'm a little disappointed with Grammer.  I'm sure he'll be great, but I was hoping to see Colin Firth finally get to do this role.

Gothampc
#48Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/23/15 at 11:37pm

"Interesting take. How about Kelli in Pajama Game?"

She sang the role fine.  But it was played by Doris Day in the film.  It's not exactly an acting challenge.

If they were doing the non-musical version Pygmalion, somebody like Sophie Okenedo would be perfect.  She has the ability to transition from rough around the edges into a woman who is refined.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#49Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?
Posted: 11/24/15 at 12:18am

I think that comparing any actress to Doris Day is an insult! Miss White Bread.

But I meant that Kelli in Pajama Game was not porcelain. She was a little earthy, no? And in her opera debut at the Met in The Merry Widow she was even acknowledged by the opera critics to have done very well as the drunken flirt  Valencienne who finds herself in the middle of a can can line and falls in with them.

Don't underestimate this woman's versatility.

But I agree that a younger woman should play Eliza in any revival. O'Hara will have a ton of offers after she leaves TK&I, which I believe will be in January or February, and she should find something to be enthusiastic about.