Andy Mientus Tweets

WinstonSalem
#25Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 2:57pm

Personally, I really like Andy Mientus. I thought he brought a youth, humor and impulsivity to Marius that you don't often see, and, as a result, I really enjoyed Marius for once. I also think he has a great voice. I found his character on Smash to be charming and endearing (though I didn't think much of his songs on the show). It's hard for me to say whether he's a great actor, as his material has been fairly limited so far. I don't follow him or Michael on Twitter, so I can't say how problematic they generally are. But I'm with Kad: the vast majority of musical theatre is entertainment. I think that's all he's implying; not that no other musical in the history of theatre has been socially important in some way.  #allmusicaltheatrematters

(In case it needs to be said, that's just parody from me and not social commentary.)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 2:59pm

Loved Mientus. Don't anymore. So disrespectful to publicize these thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 4:42pm

It's hard to disagree with him, even if his comment lacks taste. Also, it's a little sad that only a small number of people seem to want to see this 'truly important' musical...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#28Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 5:01pm

I don't think there was anything so horrendous about the tweet. This reminds me of the time Aspen Vincent threw a fit because John Gallagher Jr tweeted apologizing for being out of American Idiot one night.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#29Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 5:15pm

Please. Someone make a compelling argument for most musicals being important. I love good musicals, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But I don't think it's controversial to say that well over half of them are fluff, not good, or both. I'd say that about most forms. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#30Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 5:18pm

So, if a couple has two kids. One of them writes a Tony Award-winning musical, and the other cures cancer. People would say they both dedicated their lives to truly important work?! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 5:24pm

Well that tony award winning musical could have saved depressed teens from committing suicide.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

indytallguy
#32Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 7:08pm

Scarywarhol said: "Please. Someone make a compelling argument for most musicals being important. I love good musicals, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But I don't think it's controversial to say that well over half of them are fluff, not good, or both. I'd say that about most forms. "

For me, I don't see the opposite of important/truly important as being fluff, but I get your basic point.  Doesn't this all come down to the different ways we can define important?  Creating a shared entertainment experience is important in its own ways and most, if not all, musicals (and other forms of art) do that.

But if we are talking about art forms and performances having a greater impact on individual or social consciousness, many do not.  And I think that's OK. However, we have several on the boards right now that can/do, not just Spring Awakening.  After seeing The Color Purple, I had lengthy conversations with friends about slavery, race, and misogyny.  The King and I offers opportunities to have all kins of discussions about globalization, class, and more.  Fun Home opens our eyes to sexual and gender identity and family dynamics. And of course, then we've got Hamilton.  And other examples exist.

What makes this production of Spring Awakening truly important in my eyes is that it is amplifying attention on a population that traditionally is very under-served in mainstream theatre, both on stage and among the audience members.  I sat among primarily hearing impaired and deaf individuals when I saw the show last week, and the joy on their faces was overwhelming.

Updated On: 11/29/15 at 07:08 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 7:42pm

In my opinion, the fact that musicals are so inherently subjective is what makes them so important. No one has to/needs to prove the significance of any musical to anyone else for it to be important to them. One person's trash is another person's treasure. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#34Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 8:21pm

indytallguy, I agree with all those productions you mentioned being socially significant, and having worth outside of a few hours of entertainment. And I think we have an unusual amount of truly exciting stuff on right now. But I do still think they're exceptions to a general rule on commercial Broadway. I don't mean to bad-mouth good fluff...I just don't think it should be controversial to call it unimportant almost by definition. I just think it's very silly to construe this tweet as something hateful. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 8:23pm

It seems like: if you're on Tumblr, he's hateful and misinformed; if you're not, there's nothing much to what he wrote worth talking about...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 8:52pm

seahag2 said: "So while I still am not a fan of the with the way he worded the tweet (if anything, it was just shocking to read at first glance--also the wording was horrendous, not the tweet itself), he did clarify and was able to justify his words. But I will post the thread word for word tomorrow morning for anyone interested in it!"

Saved you the work:

https://twitter.com/andymientus/status/670751522154790912

And here's the link to the original tweet that you screencapped:

https://twitter.com/andymientus/status/667128109347549186

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

c0113g3b0y
#37Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 8:55pm

sad that the moderators deleted my juicy post here.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 9:18pm

c0113g3b0y said: "sad that the moderators deleted my juicy post here."

They probably scan the boards for words that rhyme with dock.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#39Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 9:44pm

haterobics said: "It seems like: if you're on Tumblr, he's hateful and misinformed; if you're not, there's nothing much to what he wrote worth talking about..."

People get dragged on Tumblr just for breathing in the wrong direction.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

indytallguy
#40Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 10:01pm

Scarywarhol said: "indytallguy, I agree with all those productions you mentioned being socially significant, and having worth outside of a few hours of entertainment. And I think we have an unusual amount of truly exciting stuff on right now. But I do still think they're exceptions to a general rule on commercial Broadway. I don't mean to bad-mouth good fluff...I just don't think it should be controversial to call it unimportant almost by definition. I just think it's very silly to construe this tweet as something hateful. "

Agree. I saw little wrong with his Tweet.

c0113g3b0y
#41Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/29/15 at 10:08pm

haterobics said: "c0113g3b0y said: "sad that the moderators deleted my juicy post here."

They probably scan the boards for words that rhyme with dock.

"

hahahaha. touche

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#42Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:58pm

Oye. I understand what the majority of posters here think he was saying, but his known persona of self-importance and pretentiousness begs to differ. I don't think he meant what you all are trying to defend. I think he meant "My musical is truly important. More so than yours! #blessed".

Then again, not looking to get into a fight. It's all subjective anyway. This thread probably shouldn't have been started. But to put in my two cents, I think "true importance" is highly subjective, too. I think any musical can be truly important if it touches one person. The revival of "Side Show", although not being well liked here, is truly important to me because it touched me and inspired me. That being said, so did this production of "Spring Awakening", before the self-important tweets from cast and crew alike started popping up. Now that, paired with some deaf friends saying it isn't accessible to deaf and hard of hearing people at all - quite the opposite actually, I view it as a gimmicky show that represents sign language poorly. Despite that, it is AMAZING how many deaf, hard of hearing, and disabled people are getting to live their dreams and perform on Broadway, and I'm thankful for the show for that reason and that reason only. Once again: subjective, subjective, subjective.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

LarryD2
#43Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:09pm

Andy suffers from foot-in-mouth disease. It's not uncommon among young people who've been posting their every thought on social media practically since diapers. Whatever he meant to say is one thing -- what he actually said is inartful, and he should have seen that. It's not the first time.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#44Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:16pm

If I may ask, Cinders, what about this production isn't accessible to the deaf and hard-of-hearing? (Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely wondering, having not seen the show but always hearing about how the sign language makes the production accessible and open.)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

CindersGolightly
#45Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:25pm

Sure, Elfuhbuh! I was going to elaborate but didn't think anybody would care. 

Although I've seen the show, I can't say from my first hand experience, as I'm not deaf or hard-of-hearing, as I mentioned above. However, I've talked to many who are and they have said that the signing only informs them of what's going on about 60-65% of the time. The reason being a lot of it is singed upstage or to angles in which not all the audience can see, and there are multiple sections of the show (I believe Totally F*CKed is one example) where there is a strobe-like effect in which all the sign is lost. Seems to me that Michael may have assumed that just having sign and supertitles would translate to deaf people, but sadly it isn't the case. It's kinda like when a white person writes a show for a black subject matter. I'm sure Deaf West and Michael meant well, of course. They just maybe should have made it completely accessible. A deaf co-director would have done wonders, in my opinion. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#46Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 4:15pm

Art is incredibly important.

As a couple of people have mentioned, musicals can inspire people. They can reassure, they can validate, they can literally save lives, as all art has the potential to do.

How many gay kids have found salvation and hope in cast recordings?

I know we all hate on Wicked, but it has clearly touched a lot of people with its message. That's just one random example.

Besides being obnoxious, the tweet, and the sentiment demean the power of the art form.

With all the cuts in funding for the arts in public schools these days we, as a community of artists and patrons, should not be downplaying musical theater's importance. We should be nurturing it.

....but the world goes 'round

smidge
#47Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:12pm

Andy Mientus' sole important contribution to Spring Awakening is his ass

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:13pm

smidge said: "Andy Mientus' sole important contribution to Spring Awakening is his ass"

Parse his language to whatever Tumblr depths you all want, but I think everyone can agree on the fineness of the booty.

CindersGolightly
#49Andy Mientus Tweets
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:49pm

Unfortunately, you're right. And what a nice ass it is.