pixeltracker

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?- Page 2

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

TerrenceIsTheMann
#25What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:25am

On last night, the music wasn't the problem. The problem was most definitely the acting. Mary J. Blige and a few others just couldn't hold their own in this type of show. Also, Uzo Aduba was totally miscast.
When it comes to Hairspray, Zadan and Meron are the ones who produced the film a few years back, so I doubt they bring it to the live! style of production as well.

I totally see The Music Man being the perfect choice.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:25am

If Grease goes well, WSS might be better suited on Fox.

woeisme3
#27What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:29am

I think a classic musical comedy is the right choice for next year. I can see something like GUYS AND DOLLS or HOW TO SUCCEED doing really well. 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#28What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:44am

tazber said: "I wonder if West Side Story would be a good choice.

I can see them doing it, it's a classic!

LOL! It undoubtedly is a classic! One of the best musicals ever!

As someone already mentioned in an earlier post I agree that "West Side Story" would be a better fit for FOX, perhaps in January 2017.

I'm sure GREASE LIVE! is going to garner a huge viewing audience.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 12/4/15 at 10:44 AM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#29What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:44am

How to Succeed would be excellent - Nick Jonas could take his role back.

Hairspray, I believe, would be compared to the recent movie too much - though Rebel Wilson as Tracy would be a lock, and Amanda Bynes could pose a comeback as Penny again.

Bye Bye Birdie could be a good one.

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown could be a hit as well.

Ranger Tom
#30What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:47am

I like the holiday musical ideas - elf, white christmas, the new holiday inn.  Or something related, Seussical, Little Women, etc.  However, while I felt the three musicals produced by NBC were at a decent college level, the real killer was the commercial breaks.  I realize that today's audience probably can't live without the consistent change but I personally think it kills the pacing which kills the show.  

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#31What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:50am

tazber said: "I don't think The Music Man is the default next choice anymore.

They have now shown that they can choose a less well known show and make it exciting.

While it is seen as one of their least successful screen adaptations, Zadan and Meron did the tv Music Man as well and NBC is not likely to drop them. Would they be that eager to do it again?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:50am

I really hope it isn't The Music Man. This year's production was refreshing in that it was not only a more contemporary piece, but it was significantly more diverse than the pretty much all white productions of the last two years.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#33What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:53am

It wouldn't happen, because it's owned by Disney, but NEWSIES would be an excellent choice. 

ChildofEarth
#34What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:57am

Also gonna throw this out there for ****s and giggles: Hamilton.

Theater_Nerd
#35What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 10:58am

Jordan Catalano said: "It wouldn't happen, because it's owned by Disney, but NEWSIES would be an excellent choice."

That is a really good choice, maybe ABC can get in on this LIVE! musical trend and do it.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#36What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:00am

HT$ and Charlie Brown are both excellent ideas, and along the lines of what I think NBC would go for.

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano
#37What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:05am

In theory, CHARLIE BROWN is a great choice. However, the show runs around 90 minutes, which means with commercials, it would be a two hour show, shorter than what they appear to want, to make the maximum amount of cash from advertisers during an almost three hour broadcast. And I guarantee you that that plays a part in the selection process. 

silent
#38What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:07am

Little Shop of Horrors

Jordan Catalano
#39What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:07am

Audrey's dead!

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!

Theater_Nerd
#40What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:08am

"You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" would actually be an excellent choice because not only is it family friendly, the Peanuts franchise is a children's favorite.

I think the goal for these holiday presentations is that it has to appeal to the entire family - - - across the board from Mom - to Dad - and to the kids.

It's a great musical for sure but I don't think "How To Succeed Without Really Trying" has that kind of an appeal.

Updated On: 12/4/15 at 11:08 AM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#41What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:09am

adamgreer said: "I really hope it isn't The Music Man. This year's production was refreshing in that it was not only a more contemporary piece, but it was significantly more diverse than the pretty much all white productions of the last two years.

You seem to be forgetting the brief up line fracas about a black Mother Superior 

ChildofEarth
#42What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:11am

I think they will look to do a shorter musical anyway next year - with 10:45 being the cutoff, it wasn't a good choice for younger children who had school today and people who work early hours.

Like I said in The Wiz thread - I think it will all depend on how the audience stayed with the show.

Broadway kid 2
jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#44What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:24am

How To Succeed is the one I always suggest too -- in every OTHER thread like this one.  wink

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#45What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:29am

They should really push the envelope and do something edgy - - - 

OH, CALCUTTA!

LET MY PEOPLE COME!

DON'T PLAY US CHEAP

AIN'T SUPPOSED TO DIE A NATURAL DEATH or

FOR COLORED GIRLS... 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

Liza's Headband
#46What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:29am

I realize that today's audience probably can't live without the consistent change but I personally think it kills the pacing which kills the show.  

I'm going to just pretend like you forgot that it's the commercial breaks making this broadcast possible. If they don't have commercials, they cannot generate advertising revenue... 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#47What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:35am

Liza's Headband said: "I'm going to just pretend like you forgot that it's the commercial breaks making this broadcast possible. If they don't have commercials, they cannot generate advertising revenue... "

Mind. Blown. That's a lot of reality for a Friday.

Liza's Headband
#48What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:37am

I'm glad you are really trying to find you niche here on this internet message board as the resident wiseass. I wasn't even talking to you -- I was replying to some idiot who suggested there should NOT be commercial breaks. Go spend more money on seeing another show for the 500th time, love. xoxo 

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#49What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?
Posted: 12/4/15 at 11:51am

should there be another one?

Videos