pixeltracker

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!- Page 4

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!

Pootie2
#75BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 2:51pm

Bettyboy72 said: "The city has a travel ban. If people get there, they won't get home. They are telling people to come down for $20 Blizzard Passes and that nothing is cancelled. It's irresponsible.  "

The con itself isn't canceled, no, but really I think their offer is only for people who are within walking vicinity like tourists at nearby hotels who came for otherwise canceled shows. There's nothing irresponsible about that. It's up to those people to pay attention to all the other travel warnings in effect.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#76BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 2:52pm

Bettyboy72 said: "The city has a travel ban. If people get there, they won't get home. They are telling people to come down for $20 Blizzard Passes and that nothing is cancelled. It's irresponsible.  "

Also kind of greedy. I think people with Saturday passes that will be honored on Sunday will still have a difficult time getting there especially from NJ or LI. But alas, that's the danger of holding and buying tickets for events in the winter. This is why Broadway struggles during snow season.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Pootie2
#77BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 3:16pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: Also kind of greedy. I think people with Saturday passes that will be honored on Sunday will still have a difficult time getting there especially from NJ or LI. But alas, that's the danger of holding and buying tickets for events in the winter. This is why Broadway struggles during snow season."

$20x100 isn't exactly a windfall. If they were charging the $75, then greed might be a more convincing argument. If the snow stops tonight, isn't that enough time for public transit to dig out by tomorrow?

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#78BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 3:28pm

Can't say for sure if things will be dug out. The travel ban will help the city stay on top of things for sure though. I was just thinking of people coming in from outside NYC.

My out of town trip got canceled so I theoretically could have used my weekend pass but I imagine the roads here in NJ will still be in bad shape tomorrow. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

JM226
#79BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 3:43pm

snow in nyc will stop between midnight and dawn. doubt that's enough time to restore everything beforte 1:00pm. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#80BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 4:39pm

SO upset that I had to miss today's events, including the masterclass I got into. There would have been no getting back to Staten Island later tonight. But I firmly intend to milk tomorrow for all it's got.

Incidentally, I had a lot of fun yesterday...met tons of really cool people, got free swag, and crossed something off my bucket list. Were any of you at the Sondheim meetup? If so, you witnessed my bucket list moment. Hehe...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#81BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:09pm

I am back at my hotel now. I fell twice in snow banks, so it is the real thing. Please be careful if you are going to go outside.  

It was fun today. Crowds were definitely better controlled except by the panel rooms. I got accused of cutting in line once because it was a huge mob. I went to the Stage to Screen,  Broadway Siblings,  PA's Who Made It Big, and the funny ladies panels. All were really good.  I had a pass for the Fiddler on the Roof autograph line, but they were running late and had a panel right after, so they were allowing us to go to the Anthony Rapp photo booth instead. I thought that was nice. I changed because there were panels I really wanted to get to. And then I also had a pass for his autograph session,  so I went and left. 

Now I am watching High School Musical because there is nothing better on TV. Not a lot of choices for channels.  I also cannot stand the local stations with their repeating about the weather.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

brdway411
#82BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:19pm

Bettyboy72 said: "The city has a travel ban. If people get there, they won't get home. They are telling people to come down for $20 Blizzard Passes and that nothing is cancelled. It's irresponsible. "

There are tons of people, like myself, that live with in walking distance. I avoided the whole BroadwayCon thing this year because I had a feeling it would be a mess. If I had seen this earlier, I would have jumped at the chance to see it for only $20 and still been able to walk home. Maybe now they will move it to September to coincide with the Flea Market and that other thing that happened on the pier. I feel bad for the people that paid full price and had theater tickets and are loosing tonight and possibly tomorrow. 

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#83BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:31pm

"Not Since Carrie".....

have I attended an event so mismanaged...so misguided...so lacking in every aspect.

I won't rehash the problems. You can read the numerous threads before mine as they all state the same problems. The staff and management of BroadwayCon have been horrible. You can't get a correct answer from anyone. Considering that there have been employees of the con hyping this on the BWW BroadwayCon threads, posing as just regular posters, it's amazing we can't get answers (go on..check the threads and see who answers almost immediately with an official company response...yet you don't see them post on other threads).

The VIP experience is non-existent. Was talking to a few others with so-called VIP tickets and there will be some very angry folks getting in touch with BroadwayCon.

Would love to say this has helped Broadway but can't.

Updated On: 1/23/16 at 05:31 PM

evic
#84BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:38pm

This sounds like a non equity tour of flop shows.  A rip off for all involved.

Pootie2
#85BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:46pm

RockyRoad said: ""Not Since Carrie".....

have I attended an event so mismanaged...so misguided...so lacking in every aspect.

I won't rehash the problems. You can read the numerous threads before mine as they all state the same problems. The staff and management of BroadwayCon have been horrible. You can't get a correct answer from anyone. Considering that there have been employees of the con hyping this on the BWW BroadwayCon threads, posing as just regular posters, it's amazing we can't get answers (go on..check the threads and see who answers almost immediately with an official company response...yet you don't see them post on other threads).

The VIP experience is non-existent. Was talking to a few others with so-called VIP tickets and there will be some very angry folks getting in touch with BroadwayCon.

Would love to say this has helped Broadway but can't.
"

Well, you can't possibly be talking about me, of course. Apparently I'm one of the few who follow social media beyond BWW. The negativity "in every aspect" is quite hyperbolic, which suggests to me part of the problem is on your end, such as expectations. I realize you're blinded by directionless anger, but maybe you should  put down some concrete things the BroadwayCon people can improve. Like roping off lines.

evic said: "This sounds like a non equity tour of flop shows.  A rip off for all involved."

Completely dismissing all of the positive experiences shared so far doesn't strengthen your position.

Akitarent
#86BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 5:53pm

BroadwayCon: RENT Reunion - Early Memories

BroadwayCon Panel: "10,514,880 Minutes: How Do You Measure 20 Years of RENT?"

January 22, 2016.  Cast and crew of the original Broadway production of RENT discuss their early memories from auditions to Jonathan.  

Panel Featuring:
• Anthony Rapp (Original Broadway Mark) -  moderator 
• Daphne Rubin-Vega ( Original Mimi)
• Fredi Walker-Browne (Original Broadway Joanne)
• Wilson Jermane Heredia (Original Broadway Angel, Tony winner)
• Rodney Hicks (Original Broadway cast member), 
• Aiko Nakasone (Original Broadway cast member)
• Bernard Telsey (Original casting director)
• Marlies Yearby ( Original choreographer, Tony nominee)
• James Nicola (New York Theatre Workshop artistic director)
• Julie Larson McCollum (Jonathan Larson’s sister)
• Cynthia O'Neal  (co-founder and president of Friends In Deed)

Sam2
#87BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 6:04pm

^ It's amazing to see all of them together again. Would you mind sharing more footage of the panel? Wish I could have made it to the Hilton yesterday. 

Akitarent
#88BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:45pm

If you go to Facebook and type in "Broadway Sings for Pride" I am posting the photos $ videos there. working on Hamilton right now

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#89BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:46pm

Problems started with scheduling it now.

Poster Emeritus

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#90BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:54pm

Pootie2 says: "Well, you can't possibly be talking about me, of course."

Guilty much, Pootie2?

I mention the BroadwayCon shills on here and who is the only one to chime in? Yeah. Exactly.

Pootie2 says: "...which suggests to me part of the problem is on your end, such as expectations."

My expectations? To have, as has been advertised, a well run, organized event. Apparently, my expectations are not in line with BroadwayCon's "expectations".

FindingNamo
#91BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:55pm

To be fair, they put "con" right in the name.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#92BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 8:22pm

JM226 said: "snow in nyc will stop between midnight and dawn. doubt that's enough time to restore everything beforte 1:00pm. 

"

You're clearly not a New Yorker. 

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#93BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:23pm

I'm having a wonderful time, didn't have problems getting into a any panels and I'm loving all the improvised panels going on to night due to cancelations. The party line was GOLD!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#94BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:42pm

Day Two is now a wrap for me, since I'm far too winded to go to the Cabaret. Things were not terrible, but still, I'm not really having the greatest time in the world. All the rooms today were swelteringly hot (though we received a very heartfelt and cordial apology from a volunteer when we left a room due to its heat). It was funny to grumble about theatre ticket losses with those who shared sentiments (in other words, basically everybody in the Hilton Midtown this afternoon).

It seems like the event management isn't necessarily getting better, but it certainly isn't getting worse. It seems like everybody's adjusted to the way things are. My biggest complaint remains that I paid for a VIP pass and don't feel like a VIP at all. Still, there seems to be a lot of general empathy about the weather—though honestly, it really hasn't really felt like a "convention" has been happening following around 2 p.m. or so. After about that point in the day, pretty much everything has been getting cancelled. I've chatted with many volunteers at length and sympathize with how unorganized things seem to be from a managerial perspective, and hope that they're able to make things better for a potential second go-round in the future. I truly empathize for them in terms of the overwhelming crowds and weather aspects. 

Highlight of the day, if not my life, was hugging Groffsauce. I melted into a puddle.

Updated On: 1/23/16 at 09:42 PM

FindingNamo
#95BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:46pm

Well, the room was very hot.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#96BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 7:36am

Honestly I have VIP tickets and I'm having a great time as well. Though I'm not the type of person to get bent out of shape over not having the best seat in the room (or even a seat at all as someone vulgar yelled at a volunteer because a room didn't have enough chairs and she had to deign to sit on the floor).

My biggest problem has been the entitlement I've come across in the VIP crowd - so rude, so uppity, so holier than thou.

That party line was GOLD and they really are trying. It's a first year, cut them some slack.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#97BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 7:53am

I also am having a good time, though I am not a VIP pass holder. Then again, My expectations are probably lower so my opinion is invalid. At least I have been told that in the past about other things. 

I am a little bummed about missing what happened after 4, but after falling twice in snow banks,  it was a right call for me. I was going to leave at 5 originally anyway due to wanting to get ready to go to 54 Below. It's just the improvised panels seemed cool.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#98BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 8:03am

The Blizzard Party line was the best panel so far - Rapp et al. calling everyone in their phones:

Darren Criss, Lena Hall, Seth Rudetsky, and Jeremy Jordan and then the core shakers:

Audra. Patti. Harvey. Idina. Betty Buckley. Stephen Trask.

Im sure I'm missing some but it was insane.

Pootie2
#99BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:14am

ChildofEarth said: "Honestly I have VIP tickets and I'm having a great time as well. Though I'm not the type of person to get bent out of shape over not having the best seat in the room (or even a seat at all as someone vulgar yelled at a volunteer because a room didn't have enough chairs and she had to deign to sit on the floor).

My biggest problem has been the entitlement I've come across in the VIP crowd - so rude, so uppity, so holier than thou.

That party line was GOLD and they really are trying. It's a first year, cut them some slack.

" RockyRoad is the type to scream at strangers for no good reason and is as bright as Philly Pinto; it's really too bad some people feel the need to abuse others who have no control over  things, but I'm glad to hear not all VIPs feel the same way. BroadwayConcierge, I hope they send a detailed online survey to all attendees. Concrete suggestions are always best rather than the screaming "worst show ever!" assessments.

It's not just the first year, though--not only did they get Hamilton involved, which isn't a surprise, but also a RENT anniversary panel, and then this winter storm on top of everything. That makes for quite a mix of insanity.  I followed the hashtag last night, and the last-minute activities sounded hilarious. Was Anthony Rapp actually drunk?