pixeltracker

Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco

Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#1Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 9:20am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-HAMILTON-National-Tour-Will-Launch-from-San-Francisco-in-March-2017-Next-Stop-Los-Angeles-20160126

Very exciting news

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 9:35am

Come on, Toronto!!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#3Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 10:01am

I wonder if there will be a third touring production or if all the smaller markets will be forced to wait until the end of these two extended runs to get the show.  

broadwaysfguy
#4Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 10:48am

Fantastic news

and sooooo happy we are kicking off the tour at SF

would be amazing if odom and other OBC stars will do the first few stops, There are not enough great leading roles for people of color on broadway, so i think this is a real possibility.....

So if i read right, will SF get hamilton for SF for FIVE MONTHS before moving to LA?

The announcement says march in SF and then moving to LA in August!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five months in SF i will be getting in a lot of Hamilton!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Dear SHN Member:

We are thrilled that the Broadway Musical HAMILTON is coming to the SHN Orpheum Theatre in March 2017 as the anchor of our 2016-2017 season. The show features book, music and lyrics by Tony® Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (IN THE HEIGHTS).

And we have your seats. You’ll see that memberships are now available to new members, but your current membership seats are secure and there is nothing you need to do at this time.

In late March, we'll send your 2016-2017 renewal information and when you renew, you'll guarantee your seats to HAMILTON, as well as THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME and FOUR MORE BROADWAY BLOCKBUSTERS to be announced.

Be on the lookout for emails and mailings from us in March with details on renewing and in the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 888-746-1799 (press 2) or email us at memberships@shnsf.com.

We can't wait to tell you about the rest of our fantastic 2016-2017 season and look forward to seeing you at the Orpheum and Golden Gate Theatres.

Sincerely,

Greg Holland
CEO

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#5Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:43pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "I wonder if there will be a third touring production or if all the smaller markets will be forced to wait until the end of these two extended runs to get the show.  

"

Were there three touring companies of any musical before at the same time? I thought neither POTO, Wicked, or BOM had one. I think the tactic is to sell Hamilton stop coupled with some dud shows, Hamilton as a subscription headliners, so I doubt there will be third touring production.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:46pm

Les Miz did, but I don't think they overlapped for more than a couple years. Phantom might be the same.

BoM has only had two tours at a time.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Brick
#7Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:55pm

Two companies is the norm for huge hits, though their starts are usually separated by a season.

Surprised they'll be putting together the two touring companies are a couple months a part.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#8Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 12:57pm

Wasn't there a time when Wicked had sit-down productions in Chicago and LA (or SF) concurrently with another company on the road? 

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#9Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:07pm

LizzieCurry said: "Les Miz did, but I don't think they overlapped for more than a couple years. Phantom might be the same.

BoM has only had two tours at a time.

"

Les Mis had three touring companies at the same time plus Broadway? Or By that time Broadway production was closed? I remember POTO had a sit down production in Vegas, were there two other touring companies? As for Wicked, I thought Chicago sit down company moved to SF/LA and had another touring company.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:07pm

There were three, back in the 80s. There was the 1NT, which launched (I think) in Boston, the 2NT (LA/SF), and the 3NT (bus and truck).

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#11Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:11pm

I'd certainly love to see some of the original cast but not expecting that. Perhaps Daveed Diggs will join them since he's from Oakland and it's such a long engagement in SF.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#12Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:14pm

MarkBearSF said: "I'd certainly love to see some of the original cast but not expecting that. Perhaps Daveed Diggs will join them since he's from Oakland and it's such a long engagement in SF.

"

OMG I didn't think of that! YES, if Daveed comes to SF that would be beyond fantastic. 

Lilly7
#13Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:43pm

On Twitter, Lin mention that there will be three productions and three different casts. I'm inclined to think he's counting Broadway as one of the productions but it would interesting if they had three tours going on at the same time.

https://twitter.com/lin_manuel/status/692002886985859074

RemlapLBC
#14Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/28/16 at 12:25am

Original Phantom had 3 national tours + Broadway playing at the same time.   The 1st National Tour did not tour at all.  It played LA and San Francisco in sit down productions.

The second and third national tours were traditional tours.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#15Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/28/16 at 12:19pm

Lilly7 said: "On Twitter, Lin mention that there will be three productions and three different casts. I'm inclined to think he's counting Broadway as one of the productions but it would interesting if they had three tours going on at the same time. https://twitter.com/lin_manuel/status/692002886985859074

...and that doesn't even include London.

Updated On: 1/28/16 at 12:19 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#16Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/28/16 at 12:45pm

It's a shame that people have to wait until 2017!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#17Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/28/16 at 1:08pm

RemlapLBC said: "Original Phantom had 3 national tours + Broadway playing at the same time.   The 1st National Tour did not tour at all.  It played LA and San Francisco in sit down productions.

The second and third national tours were traditional tours.

"

How I forgot about it! Yes POTO sit down production was in SF for at least five years. I don't remember how long LA had before then. Granted, Curran Theatre in SF is about 1700 capacity? Still can you imagine running Hamilton for five years in one city?

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#18Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/29/16 at 2:12pm

It's not playing the Curran. It's playing the Orpheum, which seats 2203.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#19Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/29/16 at 5:07pm

ChairinMain said: "It's not playing the Curran. It's playing the Orpheum, which seats 2203.

"

I know that. I was talking about POTO was in Curran for five years. SHN doesn't have Curran Theatre any more.

Fosse76
#20Hamilton tour to begin in San Francisco
Posted: 1/29/16 at 6:31pm

lite2shine said: "Les Mis had three touring companies at the same time plus Broadway? Or By that time Broadway production was closed? I remember POTO had a sit down production in Vegas, were there two other touring companies? As for Wicked, I thought Chicago sit down company moved to SF/LA and had another touring company."

Phantom had three national companies: The LA sit-down which transferred to San Francisco, the Second national company, which launched in Chicago (and toured the larger markets about a year later) and then the third national company (which I think opened in Seattle) and played smaller markets (until it took over as the only Phantom tour).

Wicked played concurrently in Chicago and L.A. (although the Chicago run was longer, I also believe L.A. closed before Chicago did). Part of that set went on to become the Second National tour.