BLACKBIRD Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#75BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:44pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "Wow. I just got out and feel like I was hit by a truck. Those were two of the most powerful performances  I can recall. I know we have a lot of talent yet to come this spring but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them has to clear some room on the mantle. 

P.S.  For this show they won't let you take ANYTHING from concessions to your seat. Not even water. I think it's fabulous?

can someone tell me how to use the spoiler tag?  I wanted to make a comment about the end but don't know how to hide it. :)

To use the spoiler tag, when you're composing your post, you click on the little box with the plus sign on it  next to the smiley face. Then, when the spoiler box appears, you type whatever you want right into the box. 

And that's the best I can do after a glass of wine!

Updated On: 2/17/16 at 09:44 PM

Hairspray0901
#76BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:45pm

broadwayfan250 said: "Thinking of buying tickets on TDF, but it says seats may be in the Rear Mezz- did anyone else buy them when it said this, but ended up with Orch seats?

"

I did. I swore it didn't say rear mezzo on TDF but in the email confirmation they sent it did say that. However, my seats were center rear orchestra and were fantastic.

ChiTheaterFan
#77BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:55pm

Thanks hairspray!   Hopefully I do this right. If not, don't read the rest of my post if you don't want spoilers. :)

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

After thinking about it a bit, I think the young girl was his next or current victim. One of the things he said about "those people" is how they try to stay away but they can't so they put themselves in situations where they're tempted. Dating a woman with a child in that age bracket would definitely fall in that category. He may not have actually raped her yet, but he is in denial of the fact that he can't stop himself. That was my interpretation, but I think it's purposefully left a bit vague. I also do not think he told the woman about Una. Again, I think he is trying to convince himself he is a good person so by saying he had, he is trying as much to convince himself as her. Like she was saying her therapist told her, adults lie and they don't even know they're lying (or something like that). 

I was so happy I got a slip for the playbill by Sophie Anne Caruso. I thought for sure I recognized her from Lazarus so it was good to get the confirmation. Wasn't her character "the girl" in Lazarus too?  :)

Go see this!  I don't think I want to see it again because of how intense it is. But this is going to stay with me for awhile. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#78BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 12:50am

So my boss and a friend of hers saw this play separately, and both hated it everything about it, except for Jeff Daniels, and can't believe that it's an Olivier winning play. Could it have just been their expectations? I still want to see it, but I'm a little worried by their reaction, though clearly it's in the minority. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ChiTheaterFan
#79BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:24am

It's definitely not for everyone. It is extremely intense and uncomfortable. Michelle Williams's character made me very uncomfortable as well, so I can see people not enjoying her performance. (I think it makes you uncomfortable because she's so emotionally charged and plays it so effectively, but if the play isn't for someone, her performance may not be either.)

This was a play I left SO moved and glad I saw it, but not wanting to see it again.  I loved it and thought it was terrific, yet I can't say I "enjoyed" it, if that makes sense? (I felt the same about movies like American History X--great material and performances but not "fun" to watch.)

nasty_khakis
#80BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 9:45am

Listen, guys. I know she's an accomplished actress with many great reviews and award nominations so it's probably just me, but...I seriously find Michelle Willams to have a very affected way of speaking when she's acting. You see her perform, if that makes sense. To me, she did this entire show in that same voice she said "Jack....nasty!" with in Brokeback Mountain. I can't be the only one who thinks she has what I refer to as "actor voice."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#81BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 11:10am

I liked her in this and didn't find her particularly actor-y. I didn't see Brokeback Mountain though.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#82BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 11:48am

Got a rush ticket but I'm on the extreme side. Is that a bad view?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#83BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 7:03pm

Quick question about seating: Is Row BB the front row? And, as a follow-up, is that obstructed view/the stage high?

Updated On: 2/18/16 at 07:03 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#84BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 7:07pm

I'm assuming you meant BB and it auto filled a macro of some kind. I THINK so because I was in B and I think I was in the 4th row. But it could be the 2nd row and I was in the 5th. 

Having sat in B I would avoid sitting before A unless you get a deal. I'm sure you'd mostly be ok but there are a few scenes where Michelle Williams sits behind a table where you might be obstructed closer. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#85BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 7:12pm

Hmm. Thanks for that.

Maybe the Mezz would provide a morfull-on view. Is it low-hanging? I've only sat in the orchestra section.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#86BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 10:18pm

Just got back from this, and I'm def. in the camp that liked it. For those who are curious, I rushed today around 10:30 and the guy seemed like he had plenty of seats left (he was very nice, considering most box office people). I was row D on house left, all the way to end basically, and he told me I'd miss the "back wall," but I could see everything. It was a great seat. 

As for the show: I found the first 15mins or so hard to get through. The writing is very jolted and it was hard for me to get into the flow of speech. But eventually I got into it, and by the time she delivers her monologue I was fully on board. 

The performances were incredible. I can see what people say about Williams, she did have some interesting vocal inflections and I couldn't tell if she was playing her character as someone who substance abuses as it's not contextually in the show, but she gave me that vibe. But by the end of the play I was fully in her court. Jeff Daniels is a pro and gave me full Jeff Daniels. He's a master at subtly. 

The direction was a little hit and miss. I liked having the back wall to see the coworkers walking by, but when they each had their monologues and the same tricks were used, it seemed a little less interesting. 

Do you think this could work as a film? A two hander is a tough sell, but with flashbacks and whatnot, I think it could be quite haunting. 

It's hard to talk about the show without spoilers, but I'd say it's worth seeing for the performances. The people around me ranged from engaged to talking through it to sleeping. So who knows. 

playbill-love
#87BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 10:23pm

This is being adapted as a film starring Rooney Mara, titled Una. It's supposed to come out later this year. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#88BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 10:42pm

Oh interesting. Wonder what changes they'll make. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#89BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/18/16 at 10:44pm

Not to thread jack, but what was the play that was Off-Broadway there they totally transformed the space and made it super intimate? I remember looking at set designs and thinking it was so brilliant and beautiful. I thought it was Blackbird, but upon googling, it was not? It's something that sounds like Blackbird. 

10086sunset
#90BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/20/16 at 11:03pm

Saw this tonight and thought the acting was excellent. I can understand the comments on Williams and thought she seemed like she was still feeling her way and not fully comfortable in the role. 

Wanted to ask this 

Did anyone think the girl coming in at the end was a cheat? 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#91BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/21/16 at 12:04am

Saw this tonight, and though I wouldn't say that I loved it, I did like it a lot. At times I felt that the play was written for the purpose of exploring the topic, rather than exploring the human beings. I felt the same way during Disgraced. Nothing really wrong with a play like that, but it's easier for me to appreciate rather than to love. 

The two actors do a very good job in nice meaty roles. Clearly they are putting a lot into their performances. I was sitting in the front row, and during curtain call I could literally hear Jeff Daniels groaning out of exhaustion. For some reason, however, neither of their performances truly blew me away. They were great, I genuinely don't mean to criticize the quality of their performances, but I wasn't as floored as many in this thread. I can't quite place why, but perhaps the reason will come to me as I think about the play more.

This is definitely worth seeing, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite play of the season. 

I got to rush at about 9:00am this morning, and was 2nd in line. Got front row in the center section. I craned my neck a little bit, but it wasn't too bad. This is a great play to be sitting close for! You really feel in the action. 

I'm surprised to see a previous poster say that people were rude at the stage-door. This was one of the most relaxed celebrity stage-doors I've ever been to, and I'll risk sounding braggy and say that I've been to quite a few. Daniels came out first and he was not rude at all! Neither actor posed for photos, but they signed for everybody. Daniels has a kind of dry humor about him that might come off as cold or rude, but he was very generous with his time and was willing to carry on conversations with the people waiting. The same was true for Williams. They both came out relatively soon after the performance ended, and the whole crowd was very polite and relaxed. I think it's hard for fans to go crazy and freak out after seeing a show like this one.

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 12:04 AM

nyc88
#92BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/21/16 at 6:23am

Saw this last night. Michelle Willisms appeared to be wiping away tears during the curtain call. It truly amazes me that actors can perform a show like this 8 times a week.

Like many others, I thought it was very well done, brilliantly acted and definitely worth seeing.  But, not sure I would say I loved the show. Difficult material. 

jbird5
#93BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:51am

Is anyone concerned for Michelle Williams' health? She's painfully thin. Jeff Daniels looks amazing for 60.

neonlightsxo
#94BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/22/16 at 9:58am

Regarding what Michelle is wearing in the play vs what Allison wore, Mantello addresses it in this interview.

http://www.vogue.com/13394736/blackbird-broadway-play-jeff-daniels-michelle-williams/

"The play is this very intimate dance between two people,” Mantello says. “It’s going to take on the personality and dynamics of Jeff and Michelle. So I’m very eager to start fresh, even down to the choice of what Michelle is wearing for this meeting, which is going to have to emerge organically from what she does with the part.”

mufish
#95BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/22/16 at 8:51pm

I caught the play Saturday night.  Got a rush ticket - Orchestra Row H Seat 18.  I was somewhere between 13-15th in line, got to the theater around 9:30 or so.  Apparently I was a glutton for punishment this weekend, having gone to A View From the Bridge on Friday night.  Random side note, I think I saw Finn Wittrock in the audience.

The performances Michelle Williams and Jeff Daniels are giving are outstanding.  Williams' monologue was particularly impressive.  Like others have said it's hard to say I loved the play because of the material, but everything about the acting had me fully engaged all 90 minutes.  Highly recommend going, unless the subject matter is too much for you.

I'll also concur with JBroadway's assessment of the stage door.  It was quite low-key, very subdued.  They lay out the ground rules beforehand, telling everyone not to ask for pictures with them and to keep everything on our side of the barricade.  Daniels came out first and signed for everyone, and about five minutes after he left Williams came out and did the same.  Both were very nice and extremely gracious with their time - Daniels definitely has a dry sense of humor, but it also felt weird to laugh after this play.  Everyone was very respectful and I didn't hear anyone ignore the rules and ask for a picture.

Williams definitely has to be a strong contender, if not the favorite come TONY time.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#96BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/22/16 at 9:00pm

The only thing that would/could hinder Michelle's Tony victory is that people just find the play itself vile. I myself was absolutely destroyed by her.

Updated On: 2/22/16 at 09:00 PM

@z5
#97BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/23/16 at 1:02am

seeing this on saturday night and literally so excited for it

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#98BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/23/16 at 9:44am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a film adaptation awaiting release starring Rooney Mara. 

10086sunset
#99BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/23/16 at 10:37am

Regarding the film,

Videos