Best Career After Smash

Sunny11
#25Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:19pm

I remember how much s*** was thrown at Kathrine for whatever reason during Smash so I am glad that she is doing well in her career. 

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#26Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:19pm

Emory Cohen, who played Debra Messing and Brian D'Arcy James's son Leo Houston, is the male lead in the Oscar Best Picture nominee 'Brooklyn'.  I just saw this movie a couple of days ago and he was wonderful in it.

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 03:19 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#27Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:27pm

"I remember how much s*** was thrown at Kathrine for whatever reason during Smash so I am glad that she is doing well in her career. "

I agree and when you listen to her new CD it makes you shake your head how she lost on AI.

KathyNYC2
#28Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:43pm

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "Leslie is definitely the favorite to win the Tony, however Danny B could win out of sympathy.

"

What the HECK that does mean? Why would Danny B get a "sympathy" vote? What would there to be sorry about?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:47pm

KathyNYC2 said: "What the HECK that does mean? Why would Danny B get a "sympathy" vote? What would there to be sorry about?"

I think they mean because he's had many nominations and hasn't won, he may win this year out of the desire to reward him for his decades of work on the stage (similar to how Kelli O'Hara won last year despite a superior performance by Kristin Chenoweth).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

asmith0307
#30Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 5:39pm

I think the girl who played Lexi, the background dancer in Hit List, made out pretty well post-Smash too.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#31Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 7:44pm

Yeah, thirded about Kat's album Hysteria - such a good pop record. Truthfully surprised it wasn't Grammy nominated.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#32Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 8:45pm

"I think they mean because he's had many nominations and hasn't won, he may win this year out of the desire to reward him for his decades of work on the stage (similar to how Kelli O'Hara won last year despite equally wonderful performances by Kristin Chenoweth and Chita Rivera.)"

Fixed it for you :)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#33Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/13/16 at 10:07pm

What was that nickname they were calling Emory Cohen character?

And kids, Danny B IS the favorite to win and this not a sympathy thing.  He is giving a magnificent performance (as is Kelli).

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#34Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 3:18am

Sunny11 said: "I remember how much s*** was thrown at Kathrine for whatever reason during Smash so I am glad that she is doing well in her career. "

The shit was probably because she was a terrible actress. I think she has a lovely voice though.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

CindersGolightly
#35Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 3:33am

I heard she's gotten much better on her new show! I haven't gotten to start it yet - but I want to soon. After a rewatch of "Smash" I found that I enjoyed Kat much more then I did when it was first airing.

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#36Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 9:15am

I also agree that her acting has gotten better on "Scorpion". Though, personally, I still enjoyed her on SMASH and thought her acting was fine, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask lol.

CindersGolightly
#37Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 9:58am

Speaking of Kat - season two's Jimmy/Karen story line was based off of Julie Jordan and Billy Bigelow. After hearing that, I couldn't help but want to see Kat do "Carousel" with Jeremy Jordan. Anybody else find that intriguing?

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#38Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:16am

No.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#39Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 11:07am

I agree with Javi.

The answer is - most unexpectedly - Emory Cohen.
His stock is rising.  He was wonderful in BROOKLYN and has completed or has in-production six other feature films.  Actual movie stardom seems quite possible for him.

All the more impressive given that he - how do I put this politely?  - failed to make much of an impression in SMASH.

Sunny11
#40Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 12:46pm

I don't know if I would describe Emory Cohen as the most accomplished though.

He doesn't have the major  industry acting award recognition of Debra Messing, Christian Borle or Brian d'Arcy James or the fame level that Messing or Katharine McPhee has/have from their other TV work. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#41Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:08pm

"Yeah, thirded about Kat's album Hysteria - such a good pop record. Truthfully surprised it wasn't Grammy nominated."

Thought it was released after the cutoff date for this year. While I really liked it I don't see it being record the Grammy voters would vote for especially since it was not a commercial success.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#42Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:11pm

"All the more impressive given that he - how do I put this politely?  - failed to make much of an impression in SMASH."

That is true but it really was a fairly minor role.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#43Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:20pm

the time he was there he wasn't so good. it seemed like the character was written for a child and not an older teen.

CindersGolightly
#44Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:25pm

yankeefan7 said: "Thought it was released after the cutoff date for this year. While I really liked it I don't see it being record the Grammy voters would vote for especially since it was not a commercial success."

"For the 58th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2014 and Sept. 30, 2015." - Hysteria, studio album by Katharine McPhee, Released September 18, 2015.

Released just in time. But yeah, while I was surprised it wasn't nominated, I sorta knew it wouldn't be recognized. It's political anyway. I hope she'll get a nomination at some point in her career. All of her albums are enjoyable. Even the Christmas one. And this is coming from someone who HATED her up until like, mid-2015. Rooted against her all throughout Idol, too.

Updated On: 2/14/16 at 01:25 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#45Best Career After Smash
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:49pm

"Released just in time. But yeah, while I was surprised it wasn't nominated, I sorta knew it wouldn't be recognized. It's political anyway. I hope she'll get a nomination at some point in her career. All of her albums are enjoyable. Even the Christmas one. And this is coming from someone who HATED her up until like, mid-2015. Rooted against her all throughout Idol, too."

Thanks for the information regarding the release date. IMO she should have won AI and her rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was just fantastic. I really like "Hysteria" and there are some great youtube clips of her doing some of the songs live. IMO this record should have done better commercially but what do I know - lol. I think some people on this board took their frustration with the story line in SMASH out on her. It was not her fault that they had her character take the lead (Bombshell) from Megan Hilty who is clearly better suited for the role of "Marilyn". I think Katharine McPhee did a very good job with her songs in "Hit List" but unfortunately the songs were not as good as the songs for "Bombshell".  Yes, her acting was not that great but you can see the improvement on her current show "Scorpion". Finally, I also hope some day she gets a nomination because she really does have a wonderful voice.