ArtMan
#25Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/1/17 at 3:35pm

double post

Updated On: 2/1/17 at 03:35 PM

neonlightsxo
#26Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/1/17 at 9:18pm

Especially since the John Tiffany revival is currently playing on the West End.

I'll be seeing this production too, soon. It's one of my favorite plays so can't go wrong, IMO. 

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#27Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 1:35am

There's a simple solution for people who feel another Glass Menagerie is unnecessary: don't go. 

London theatergoers do not complain when Hamlet, Twelfth Night or Midsummer Night's Dream get revived almost annually. That is part of their great legacy of theatre. The US tradition doesn't extend as long, of course, but the great plays of Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller and Eugene O'Neill, among others, are our own legacy, Their plays get revived with frequency because a star wants to do them, or a director has an exciting vision, or the ingredients just come together at a certain time due to schedules. 

A great play with great performances in a great production is always welcome, as far as I'm concerned. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#28Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 1:07pm

While I had thought I might pass on seeing this revival so soon after the previous one, after seeing Sam Gold's compelling direction of Othello at the New York Theatre Workshop I am really looking forward to this production of GM.  

Updated On: 2/2/17 at 01:07 PM

clb10162
#29Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 1:11pm

I believe you mean "Othello."

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#30Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 1:18pm

clb10162 said: "I believe you mean "Othello."

Yes, thanks.  Corrected. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#31Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 2:36pm

Is that a rehearsal shot or are they doing it "Our Town" style or something?

LarryD2
#32Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 2:46pm

It's a rehearsal shot, but this is not going to be a traditionally staged production of the play. You can google Gold's Amsterdam production of the play (on which it was based) to get a sense of how it will look.

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#33Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 3:39pm

I am thinking about seeing this next weekend, but I have limited time. Can anybody tell me an approximate run time? I know that it could be varied, but I also think it must be within a few minutes of the previous productions (for which I cannot find run times for).  I do see that the film was 134 minutes.  Does that sound bloated?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#34Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 3:43pm

It's a very modern, abstract version of the show. Couldn't be more different than John Tiffany's interpretation.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

LarryD2
#35Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 3:53pm

The production Sam Gold did in Amsterdam was performed without an intermission, but I'm hearing this production will be performed with an intermission and will be close to the standard length for this play (about 2.5 hours).

neonlightsxo
#36Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 6:41pm

"A great play with great performances in a great production is always welcome, as far as I'm concerned. "

Hear hear. 

ryankon
#37Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/2/17 at 11:55pm

Totally agree with an earlier poster's comments: A great play with great performances in a great production is always welcome, as far as I'm concerned. 

And to echo what someone else said, having seen Gold's recent OTHELLO I'm look forward to seeing this production.  

I was initially dubious but now can't wait.  

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#38Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/3/17 at 9:58am

QueenAlice said: "It's a very modern, abstract version of the show. Couldn't be more different than John Tiffany's interpretation."

I believe you that it will be very different! However, Tiffany's production seemed pretty modern and abstract to me - though I readily admit that I may not be using those terms correctly. The set, at least, was extremely surreal and non-traditional.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#39Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/7/17 at 11:10pm

JBroadway said: "As I said in the thread I posted, I agree that this is kinda weird, consider how the last revival was so recent and so critically acclaimed.

I also seem to recall reading here that Sam Gold's track record with revivals is not considered great. I can only speak for myself after seeing The Real Thing, which I didn't love.
"

I'd say Sam Gold was more off to a rocky start on Broadway with Seminar, PicnicThe Realistic Joneses, and The Real Thing. But it seems his track record is starting to get better with not only Fun Home, but now this...
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=2&thread=1099017&dt=38

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#40Glass Menagerie returning?
Posted: 2/8/17 at 2:04pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "JBroadway said: "As I said in the thread I posted, I agree that this is kinda weird, consider how the last revival was so recent and so critically acclaimed.

I also seem to recall reading here that Sam Gold's track record with revivals is not considered great. I can only speak for myself after seeing The Real Thing, which I didn't love.
"

I'd say Sam Gold was more off to a rocky start on Broadway with Seminar, PicnicThe Realistic Joneses, and The Real Thing. But it seems his track record is starting to get better with not only Fun Home, but now this...
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=2&thread=1099017&dt=38

As I noted earlier, Gold's track record was also greatly enhanced by the recent production of Othello at NYTW.

Updated On: 2/8/17 at 02:04 PM