The Crucible Previews

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#25The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:41am

Fantastic news!  Thanks WhizzerMarvin and WithoutATrace.

(Where would your seats be?)

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:46am

Our seats are about halfway back in the orchestra...all the way to the side.  An amazing deal at $35 a ticket.  Anything to avoid that awful balcony in the Walter Kerr!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#27The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:48am

This is amazing news! Thanks guys. I have such terrible luck with digital lotteries and probably never would win the entire 20 weeks. Glad there is another option as this is the play I'm looking forward to the most.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#28The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:32am

SO happy there will be a rush, too! I am only in NYC for a week so the digital lotteries prove to be a little tough for me as I try to plan ahead as much as possible. Can't wait to hear back about the first preview for tonight!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:36am

Looking forward to seeing Saoirse Ronan on stage.

I'm very curious to hear how she does on her very first theatrical experience. From the rehearsal footage shown on CBS Sunday Morning this past week, she seems to be doing a great job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aohn_KLlTw&index=20&list=PL_2Wk1WlmEySa7MsL_gSNhA90TGWI62aj

Updated On: 3/1/16 at 11:36 AM

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#30The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:44am

Thanks for the lottery info, good people. Hoping to win for either performance on Saturday. Love The Crucible and a good chunk of this cast. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#31The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 12:15pm

I'm surprised they have built the whole marketing campaign around Saoirse Ronan. I know she's just coming off her Oscar nomination, but she's not even playing Elizabeth. When I saw the call board this morning and realized Sophie Okonedo was in this and would be playing Elizabeth my excitement grew considerably. You have a recent Tony winner as one of the leads, so where is the love? 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#32The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 12:32pm

I snagged a ticket for tonight through TodayTix. I caught the Ivo van Hove bug after A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE and have been waiting for this ever since they announced it. Very excited. And in my favorite theater! First time sitting in the Kerr's mezzanine.

From the rehearsal clip in that interview video, it looks like the production is set in a classroom? Maybe Ben Whishaw is the teacher who assumes the role of John? If that's the case, I'm into that concept.

HoldMeBatBOy
#33The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:37pm

Where did you find this rehearsal clip? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the show!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#34The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:40pm

To Whizzer or WithoutATrace:

Was the rush cash only, by any chance? Or did they allow credit cards? 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#35The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:51pm

HoldMeBatBOy said: "Where did you find this rehearsal clip? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the show!

"

It's linked in this thread.

WithoutATrace
#36The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:05pm

Since Whizzer and I were unsure if they would accept credit cards (since this rush policy hasn't been officially announced), we each took out cash from the ATM before going to the box office this morning.  Since we had the cash, and we wanted to get rid of it since no one carries cash anymore, we didn't even bother asking - we just gave the box office guy the cash to pay for our tickets knowing full well he would accept it.  So sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#37The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:06pm

Regarding the rush, does anyone have any idea of how many seats are available/if there would be any left if I headed to the box office for tonight's performance?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

WithoutATrace
#38The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:10pm

From what we gathered, it seems like they were distributing rush seats as the orchestra extreme sides.  Since today is the first preview, and knowledge of this rush policy is limited, it is certainly worth going over there to ask if they have any left.  Also, feel free to ask if it is cash only or if they also accept credit cards and please let us know on this thread.  Appreciated.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#39The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 4:35pm

Entered the digital lottery this morning (lets you enter at once for the entire week)

Came home and received an e-mail that I won for tomorrow night --- had an email link that led me to Ticketmaster --- I've never won a digital lottery --- is this the way it normally works? I only ask because I was concerned over the ticketmonster fees --- service charge was $5 --- tickets had to be purchased by 11:59 tonight --- got Orch E (side) 

neonlightsxo
#40The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 4:53pm

Digital lotteries are usually on the day of rather than the day before, but yes, sometimes you pay online. $5 is NOT a monster fee. Especially if you're getting orchestra seats.

wonkit
#41The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 4:55pm

I have a first row seat in a couple of weeks. Please let me know if the stage is particularly high? I hate the Kerr - even the orchestra is uncomfortable. But I loved the van Hove BRIDGE and look forward to seeing this.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#42The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:02pm

Thanks Neon ---  yea, I was fine with the $5 fee--- I was just afraid that the "normal" Ticketmaster fees would be charged---if that would have been the case, I would have just tried to "rush" instead -- I was really pleasantly surprised at how early I was notified !! 

luceononuro Profile Photo
luceononuro
#43The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:18pm

I did rush this morning, got 2 front Mezz tickets and used my credit card.

Updated On: 3/1/16 at 05:18 PM

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#44The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:19pm

Regarding the general box office rush, I was able to get a seat! Side mezz as well as orchestra, it seems, and they accept both cash and credit. Also, the man in the box office said there might be either one or two intermissions, he wasn't sure. 

So excited for tonight!

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#45The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:22pm

What is the link to enter for the lotto?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#46The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:24pm

bwayphreak234 said: "What is the link to enter for the lotto?"

It was listed earlier in this thread...I just copied it for ya. https://jujamcyn.turnkeysurveyor.com/se/4D0A7D4978CA3CA3?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Crucible+Announcement

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#47The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:31pm

^ thank you!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#48The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:56pm

Desperate for first words on the production...anyone?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#49The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:30pm

Was at the first preview tonight and Wow! It's pretty much everything as you would expect from Ivo Van Hove, meaning its a production at once highly stylized and presentational, alternately grandly theatrical and voyeuristically naturalistic and of course by nature, I'm sure will be highly divisive.  

It was exciting to get to see this in a first preview capacity, because I have no doubt there will be many changes made (A VIEW FROM A BRIDGE never stopped changing in the year and half of its time between London and NYC)  but I was again riveted by the wonderful and bizarre vision of this extraordinary director.  Van Hove's greatest achievement is that in his stripping down, the story and language of these classic plays is never more clear.  And there may be no other director who can keep an audience  so rapt on the edge of their seats with the shear suspense of the dialogue.

The production is done in contemporary dress and is set in a sort of institutional setting (a school, prison or inner city court house might all possibilities).  I was fascinated by the use throughout the evening of a large chalkboard. The performances are all outstanding; since I know everyone will be curious -- Saoirse Ronan seems very confident up there and is already given a very accomplished take on Abigail.  Ben Whislaw and especially Tavi Gevinson (as Mary Warren) were standouts.  Sophie Okonedo's performance I suspect will be controversial. It's a very stylized performance that is almost 'anti-acting' -- again a typical Van Hove approach.

The production is full of wonderfully strange (and sometimes jaw dropping in a good way) theatrical moments. The most exciting happens, natch during the girls' hysteria in the courtroom, where their 'imagined visions' finally become real in a stunning hurricane moment worthy a Stephen King story.  

I'm excited to revisit this later in the run when I'm back in NYC to see how it changes.  Ivo Van Hove is no doubt a love it or hate it experience, but I think for the incredible imagination and theatrical prowess he has brought to Broadway this season, he truly deserves a special Tony Award for his work this year.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/1/16 at 11:30 PM

Videos