THE CRUCIBLE Reviews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#1THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 6:22pm

Limelight Mike seems to be off tonight, so...

Tonight is the opening night of the 5th Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's The Crucible, the second production of a Arthur Miller classic this season brought to us by producer Scott Rudin and director Ivo van Hove! Starring Olivier nominee Ben Whishaw, Tony Award winner Sophie Okonedo, Ciaran Hinds, Two-Time Academy Award nominee Saoirse Ronan, Tony Award winner Jim Norton, & more!

Be sure to post the reviews right here!

Jeffrey Karasarides
SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#3THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 9:02pm

Wow. Looks like the director was looking for mindless spectacle over everything else.

http://docandraider.com

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#4THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 9:23pm

They have great pull quotes from The Hollywood Reporter:

"mesmerizingly acted new production"

"Saoirse Ronan, icy and commanding in her first stage appearance"

"Tavi Gevinson... continues to emerge as a remarkably instinctive actor"

"the wonderful Jim Norton"

"Ciaran Hinds' imperious Deputy Governor Danforth... sends a chill into the air from the moment he strides onto the stage"

"As strong as the ensemble is, the indispensable anchoring forces are Whishaw and Okonedo, both of them devastating... the actor brings stirring truth to Proctor"

"the original score by Philip Glass... contributes to the production's ever-tightening noose"

"Also tremendously effective is Versweyveld's unforgiving lighting and Tom Gibbons' creepy sound"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/saoirse-ronan-crucible-theater-review-879646

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#5THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 9:34pm

Every one of those reviews makes the production sounds wonderfully bizarre and intriguing. Which it is.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
indytallguy
#7THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 10:24pm

SeanMartin said: "Wow. Looks like the director was looking for mindless spectacle over everything else."

Out of the three hours I'd clock maybe 4-5 minutes of spectacle. Whether it is mindless or not is hard to say.

As often is the case for me, Jesse Green's review really provides some critical insight into the production and the choices made.

Updated On: 3/31/16 at 10:24 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#8THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 11:17pm

Interesting reviews. Was not expecting them to be this positive, especially for Okenedo's performance.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#9THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 2:34am

The Times seems to like Disasters.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#10THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 3:20am

Fantod said: "Interesting reviews. Was not expecting them to be this positive, especially for Okenedo's performance.

"

I can't understand how anyone couldn't see how powerful this production is. Okonedo and Whishaw were just stellar. 

neonlightsxo
#11THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 9:03am

Pleased to see the critics came out on the right side on this. TotallyEffed, go spout your anti Van Hove nonsense somewhere else.

http://www.show-score.com/shows/the-crucible Updated On: 4/1/16 at 09:03 AM

dtlajim
#12THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:05am

I was profoundly moved by this production.

Updated On: 4/1/16 at 10:05 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#13THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:51am

neonlightsxo said: "Pleased to see the critics came out on the right side on this. TotallyEffed, go spout your anti Van Hove nonsense somewhere else.

"

Pretty sure TotallyEffed has been pretty even-handed about van Hove's work. He just didn't like this production. I didn't either. And neither did some other people. It's misguided, overblown, and inconsistently acted. There are things to appreciate about it, for me, but I'm honestly shocked it's been as well-received by the critics as it has.

wonkit
#14THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:56am

I second the position that my largely negative reaction to this production does not represent my attitude to Van Hove. I thought VIEW was one of the most extraordinary experiences I have had in decades of theater going. CRUCIBLE simply wasn't.  And I, too, am surprised that the critics loved it, only because I found so little in it that worked. For me. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:59am

Hove appears to be the new critics darling. He apparently can do no wrong in their eyes. For now, he is the flavor of the month. If you like something and the critics agree, they came out on the right side. If they do not agree with you  than they did not. I have not paid attention to critics even when they were relevant. We see something and move on to the next show. 

Poster Emeritus

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#16THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:10am

Ivo van Hove has been creating highly acclaimed productions in New York for 20 years; on the international theater scene, he's been working since the late 1970s. He is not a "flavor of the month." Just because he hasn't been on Broadway before doesn't mean he suddenly came out of nowhere.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

neonlightsxo
#17THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:14am

TotallyEffed said in the previews thread that Ivo didn't understand the play. That is the comment I am addressing. It's not fair to make such sweeping assertions or to call the direction "misguided" just because you didn't like it. You can say you didn't like it, that's fine, but to state your opinions as fact when many prominent critics disagree is actually what's misguided.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#18THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:28am

The strength of these reviews I think means the production is now in a position of being nominated for several Tony Awards.  Whislaw? Okenado? Ronan?  What else?  A revival nom seems certain. Can Ivo Van Hove be nominated twice for director in the same category?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#19THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:40am

^Matthew Warchus was in 2009 for God of Carnage (which he won for) and The Norman Conquests.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#20THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:47am

Thanks Jeffrey for pointing that out. I suspect we may see that happen again for Van Hove this season. I think he actually will win for A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#21THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 12:01pm

Here are my current thoughts on Best Direction of a Play.

Who's In?:
Joe Mantello-The Humans
Liesl Tommy-Eclipsed
Ivo van Hove-A View From the Bridge

Who Could Join Them?:
Rupert Goold-King Charles III
Jeremy Herrin-Noises Off
Joe Mantello-Blackbird
Ivo van Hove-The Crucible

Lookout For:
Jonathan Kent-Long Day's Journey Into Night

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#22THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 12:08pm

Right now I'd say:

Joe Mantello-The Humans
Liesl Tommy-Eclipsed
Ivo van Hove-A View From the Bridge / * Winner
Rupert Goold-King Charles III
Ivo van Hove-The Crucible

Kent could be a spoiler, probably knocking out Goold.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#23THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 12:51pm

Brantley REALLY loved Ronan.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 1:11pm

Goold, interestingly enough, has the potential to be nominated in both directing categories, for King Charles and American Psycho.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#25THE CRUCIBLE Reviews
Posted: 4/1/16 at 1:43pm

Although Ivan Van Howe has been around a long time, it is only recently he has gained such attention and prominence.

Surprised this has got a Critic Pick, the New York Times seems to give everything a critic pick at the moment. Ben Brantley loved The Crucible which he saw it at the Old Vic, with Richard Armitage that played 2 years ago, thought this would come to New York, but didn't. Included the review, for your own delectation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/12/theater/the-crucible-by-arthur-miller-plays-at-the-old-vic.html

Also Ben has been all over Ben Whishaw, who he saw at the Almedia in Bakkhai, which I have also included.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/arts/international/review-bakkhai-splendour-and-three-days-in-the-country.html