Carmen Cusack

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#50Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 3:42pm

Hairspray0901 said: "I saw the show for the 2nd time last night and was once again blown away by Carmen's performance. She is so incredibly talented and you can tell she was still beaming from receiving her Tony nomination the day before. I had the opportunity to meet her at the stagedoor last night and was one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I hope she wins the Tony!"

I highly doubt she'll win as it looks like Cynthia has it in the bag (deservedly so...) but I agree that she is a terrific talent. I'm so happy she's getting more recognition as I, too, was blown away when I saw her last month. Also, I'm so happy to hear how pleasant she is in person!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#51Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 5:11pm

I went to the show on Tuesday night (after it got all those nominations I went and got a rush ticket, knowing it would be a special performance). It was one of the most magical experiences I have had in the theatre. I'd seen the show twice before, and Carmen always begins her first song quietly. On this night, she got entrance applause.

She was clearly overjoyed and overwhelmed by the response-- she had to take a few seconds to smile and exhalt before beginning the song. I myself nearly lost it for her. Knowing how long this journey had been for her, and to finally get this sort of recognition for such a personal role, is almost too much to comprehend.

Then of course, "At Long Last" certainly took on an added layer of meaning. As she sang "hallelujah," no one in the world could have more perfectly embodied the sentiment. Even watchin her take her evening bow was just a treat. She was radiant. So thrilled for her.

Owen22
#52Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 5:39pm

She was merely okay in Carrie, but was a horrible Dot in Chicago Shake's "Sunday in the Park" (her Marie was mildly better). So I was quite surprised how good she was in "Bright Star".

UnwoundFantasies
#53Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 7:34pm

TFMH18- that makes me SO happy she got an entrance applause!! I was there last Sunday, so the last performance before the Tony nominations came out, and I was shocked she didn't get it. I hope she continues to get it as performances go on, she deserves it.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#54Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 11:13pm

TFMH18 said: "I went to the show on Tuesday night (after it got all those nominations I went and got a rush ticket, knowing it would be a special performance). It was one of the most magical experiences I have had in the theatre. I'd seen the show twice before, and Carmen always begins her first song quietly. On this night, she got entrance applause.

She was clearly overjoyed and overwhelmed by the response-- she had to take a few seconds to smile and exhalt before beginning the song. I myself nearly lost it for her. Knowing how long this journey had been for her, and to finally get this sort of recognition for such a personal role, is almost too much to comprehend.

Then of course, "At Long Last" certainly took on an added layer of meaning. As she sang "hallelujah," no one in the world could have more perfectly embodied the sentiment. Even watchin her take her evening bow was just a treat. She was radiant. So thrilled for her.

"

I was there Tuesday night as well and couldn't have said this better myself. So, so happy. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#55Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/10/16 at 10:32am

Sweet interview with Carmen and her husband, who once stopped her from quitting acting altogether. Thank goodness he did!

http://www.playbill.com/article/meet-the-man-who-stopped-carmen-cusack-from-giving-up-theatre

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#56Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/10/16 at 12:55pm

...am I gonna have to be the one to point out that her husband is smokin'?

Updated On: 5/10/16 at 12:55 PM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#57Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/10/16 at 1:06pm

^He is the kind of hot that is almost, like, comical. His looks are so ridiculous it has to be a joke. He did play Hercules after all.

starcatchers
#58Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/10/16 at 1:31pm

TFMH18 said: "^He is the kind of hot that is almost, like, comical. His looks are so ridiculous it has to be a joke. He did play Hercules after all.

"

Worth repeating.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#59Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/10/16 at 11:36pm

Caught the show tonight and she is truly a revelation!! I must say that her stage charisma is enhanced by Paul Alexander Nolan's and her chemistry on stage, my god what a pair! Their "I Had a Vision" is soul-crushing.

Cannot stop thinking about her performance, will definitely go back again soon.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#60Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:40am

Has a single person seen this show and not been utterly enchanted/entranced/floored by Cusack and her performance? So happy she is getting the attention and kudos she (and Alice Murphy) deserves. 

starcatchers
#61Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/12/16 at 6:35pm

https://twitter.com/robbiefairchild/status/730831952375365636

I wasn't aware of this - Carmen played Milo Davenport (currently played by Jill Paice) in one of the early readings of American in Paris. Anyone else think that must've been kind of brilliant? 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#62Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/12/16 at 8:19pm

I wonder if she had to forego American in Paris in order to do Bright Star, as there was a ton of overlap between the two. 

She would have been marvelous! But, if it's an either/or situation, I firmly believe she was "meant" to bring Alice Murphy to life.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#63Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/13/16 at 12:51am

I don't know if I'm allowed to link this video so I'm putting it in the spoiler

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Carmen is absolute perfection.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#64Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/16/16 at 8:57pm

Bought my ticket for this Thursday! Can't wait to finally see Carmen!!

Anyone here happen to sit in the balcony? How was the view/sound?

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#65Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/16/16 at 9:42pm

I've sat in the balcony! I've seen the show a few times now and have sat in both the orchestra and balcony and I'd say, seeing the show for the first time, balcony is definitely ideal. The view is great, as there is a fair amount of (gorgeous) choreography. Though there is also a ton of really stunning and subtle acting being done on stage, you will not be short changed on that front sitting a bit further back. Carmen will certainly manage to floor you up there! Enjoy.

slumdogdelaware
#66Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/16/16 at 9:54pm

TFMH18 said: "I've sat in the balcony! I've seen the show a few times now and have sat in both the orchestra and balcony and I'd say, seeing the show for the first time, balcony is definitely ideal. The view is great, as there is a fair amount of (gorgeous) choreography. Though there is also a ton of really stunning and subtle acting being done on stage, you will not be short changed on that front sitting a bit further back. Carmen will certainly manage to floor you up there! Enjoy.

Thank you!! You've gotten me even more excited now :)

theatreguy12
#67Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/16/16 at 11:20pm

Loved this show, Slumdog!  I really think you'll enjoy it.

Like everyone else on this board, I think Cusack is enchanting in the role.  The real highlight.

The music though, IMO, is simply wonderful as well, and runs the gamut of emotions. I can definitely see myself putting this on my iPod. Having that wonderful band on the stage throughout only served to accentuate the experience.

Furthermore (and this is where I know it does get some critiques), I really liked the story.  And it was one that was brought out by an extremely likable and talented cast.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect going in from some of the reviews.  Add to that, bluegrass isn't one of my favorite genres of music (it's not bad, just not my favorites).

Let's just say I found myself utterly engaged throughout the show.  It was fun, it was emotional, it was inspiring.  

Wherever the story took you emotionally, you were right there with the characters on the stage.

Really liked it a lot!

slumdogdelaware
#68Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/16/16 at 11:40pm

theatreguy12 said: "Loved this show, Slumdog!  I really think you'll enjoy it.

Like everyone else on this board, I think Cusack is enchanting in the role.  The real highlight.

The music though, IMO, is simply wonderful as well, and runs the gamut of emotions. I can definitely see myself putting this on my iPod. Having that wonderful band on the stage throughout only served to accentuate the experience.

Furthermore (and this is where I know it does get some critiques), I really liked the story.  And it was one that was brought out by an extremely likable and talented cast.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect going in from some of the reviews.  Add to that, bluegrass isn't one of my favorite genres of music (it's not bad, just not my favorites).

Let's just say I found myself utterly engaged throughout the show.  It was fun, it was emotional, it was inspiring.  

Wherever the story took you emotionally, you were right there with the characters on the stage.

Really liked it a lot!

Okay stop it now, why does Thursday seem so far away?!!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#69Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:07am

Also, back to Ms. Cusack specifically, she was a guest on this week's episode of the Theater People Podcast (avail. in the podcast app). Take a listen if Carmen has interested you! She has really incredible stories about her time working overseas, as well as plentiful Bright Star insight, of course.

She discusses at length how much the show means to her and what specifically resonates from her life and it is simply beautiful. So thankful to this show for bringing her to Broadway! 

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#70Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:11am

It may have been her overall look or her vocal inflection, but Cusack's "later in life" Alice Murphy reminded me of Annalise Van Der Pol in the final scenes of Vanities.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

broadwayboy223
#71Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:50pm

Annaliese would be a good replacement for Carmen eventually. I love Carmen though. Im kind of hoping she wins the Tony 

ChiTheaterFan
#72Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:21am

Caught this for the second time tonight because a friend asked for a recommendation, I suggested this, and I couldn't pass on seeing it again with her. I've been listening to the cast recording a lot. Well I think I forgot (even though it's only been a few weeks) that Cusack's performance is even more insanely good in person. Or maybe she's continuing to grow. Anyway she does so much acting that you just cannot get a sense of from the cast recording. I'm not sure there are not any emotions she doesn't portray in this show. 

Those of you who are fans will be happy to know she got a rousing entrance applause tonight. I'm guessing this is happening frequently (and rightly so) because the orchestra did a great job of pausing for it. :) I really wanted her to get a mid-show ovation after "At Last" but I was in the back of the mezzanine so t felt weird to start one. Maybe next time. :)

Also I know it's not the topic of this thread but MY GOD is Paul Alexander Nolan good. I think he was even better than the last time. I truly wish he had gotten a Tony nomination. His chemistry with Carmen is off the charts and he just brings so much to the show. At the end of heartbreaker some guy behind me said out loud "oh my god that was well done."  (Granted that guy was annoying but still...  He wasn't wrong about that comment.)

ChiTheaterFan
#73Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:22am

Also I don't know how full the balcony was, but from the mezzanine attendance looked great!  And the crowd was loving it!!

UnwoundFantasies
#74Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:31am

So happy to see Carmen getting some deserved entrance applause! She didn't went I went last weekend, hope it continues!