pixeltracker

Actors who were fired from/left roles- Page 2

Actors who were fired from/left roles

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#25Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:24am

Jeremy Jordan , FN

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#26Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:43am

The infamous nerd chorus from "Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark" 1.0!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#27Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 4:11am

Yes, Piven's quitting Speed the Plough received extensive coverage and became somewhat notorious after he got a doctor to swear he was suffering from mercury poisoning from eating too much fish. Most people felt he was lying to avoid Equity penalties and a lawsuit by the producers.

David Mamet said that Piven left to pursue a new career as a thermometer.

Updated On: 4/17/16 at 04:11 AM

trpguyy
#28Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 6:09am

denali.fire said: "Jeremy Jordan , FN"

He was not fired, nor did he leave. He played the role for the out-of-town production only, as was the plan, because Matt Morrison was not available during that time. 

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#29Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 6:48am

Matthew Broderick from Parade in the late 90's.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Dollypop
#30Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 7:18am

Lainie Kazan was fired from a revival of "The Women" because she was too ethnic for the part.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

The Other One
#31Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 11:05am

James McDaniel left Six Degrees of Separation and was replaced by Courtney Vance

Tonya Pinkins left Mother Courage

Daniel Day Lewis left Hamlet mid-performance!

K. Todd Freeman left Angels In America to star in a play that flopped. Jeffrey Wright took over and won a Tony and an Emmy

Dollypop
#32Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 11:20am

In London Dora Bryan was let go from The Full Monty because she was in her dotage and doing bizarre things on stage.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#33Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 11:33am

Dolores Gray was fired from Ballroom. As much as I love Dorothy Loudon, Dolores Gray would have been fantastic singing 50 Percent.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#34Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 11:38am

denali.fire said: "Jeremy Jordan , FN"

He wasn't fired and didn't leave, though. He was hired for the workshop, and did that whole run.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#35Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 12:48pm

haterobics said: "denali.fire said: "Jeremy Jordan , FN

He wasn't fired and didn't leave, though. He was hired for the workshop, and did that whole run.
"

I think it had more to do with the fact that producers decided to go in a different direction for the Bway run, most of the cast came back from the workshop - so it definitely must have stung to not be asked to come along.

Off the top of my head for similar situations
- Stephanie J Block for Wicked : going with an already popular actress
- Erin Dillie for Thoroughly Modern Millie  : "classic" understudy replaces the lead
- Jeanna de Waal for Waitress : not sure what happened here.
- Karen Cartwright for Bombshell (couldn't resist)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#36Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 1:38pm

The girl who was going to be Cosette in the Les Miz revival. What happened there? Didn't Cameron Mackintosh fired a whole ensemble one time?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#37Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 1:43pm

Who was the guy who was going to take over from Bertie Carvel as Ms Trunchball in Matilta bu never happened?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#38Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 1:50pm

^Craig Bierko

-Laura Bell Bundy in Wicked 

-Stephanie Mills for The Wiz movie with Diana Ross

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#39Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:13pm

The girl who was going to be Cosette in the Les Miz revival. What happened there? Didn't Cameron Mackintosh fired a whole ensemble one time?

Yes that was Charlotte Maltby.

And yes most of the cast of the original production were let go in 1996.
From Les Miserables To Just Plain Miserable

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#40Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:14pm

Annaleigh Ashford and Michael Longoria in "Banana Spheel", too.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

KathyNYC2
#41Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:23pm

Valentina3 said: "haterobics said: "denali.fire said: "Jeremy Jordan , FN

"

I think it had more to do with the fact that producers decided to go in a different direction for the Bway run, most of the cast came back from the workshop - so it definitely must have stung to not be asked to come along.

"

Two of the three leads were different....well four if you also consider Mary Barrie to be a lead. So I don't think it could be considered to be personal slight. I have no idea what Jeremy was feeling but it was known that Matthew was going to do the Broadway version. Did he hope to have the role if things with Mathew didn't work out? No clue but he certainly wasn't let go. 

Back Row
#42Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 2:38pm

trpguyy said: "denali.fire said: "Jeremy Jordan , FN"

He was not fired, nor did he leave. He played the role for the out-of-town production only, as was the plan, because Matt Morrison was not available during that time. 

Morrison was originally scheduled to play the role in Cambridge, but had to cancel due to his TV schedule. There is really no dispute about that. There are a lot of stories about what happened after that, and I guess it really comes down to how forthcoming you believe Weinstein was with Jordan when he talked him into taking the role in Cambridge. The answer appears to be "not very". Jordan himself says he asked for a guarantee for the Broadway transfer when he took the role. Weinstein would not given him one, but he promised him the role for a West End run that he told him would happen before Broadway. Jordan took the role under those conditions. The "West End run" turned out to be nothing more than a West end run around, and Jordan was left out in the cold. There were obviously those who knew that Morrison was a done deal for the Broadway transfer, but it appears that Jordan was not one of them. Comments by Michael McGrath when Kelsey Grammer was announced seemed to indicate that he had been given a similar run around, but had been too savvy to fall for it. In Jordan's latest cabaret act, he refers to his being "fired" from Finding Neverland, and responds by singing the title song from the original Frankel & Korie version of the musical. So, I guess his perspective was that he was fired. 

Jordan was just part of Weinstein's scorched earth campaign that left a lot of respected Broadway names in its wake as he tried to get a "marketable" show to Broadway. In the end, those who were left with the show had to shoulder the burden of all the negative mojo that Weinstein had created, and as a result, the show had no chance with the awards committees, and critics who may not have liked the show anyway seemed to take special pleasure in writing particularly brutal reviews. 

Updated On: 4/17/16 at 02:38 PM

asmith0307
#43Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:01pm

10086sunset said: "Believe Daniel Davis is his name."

From what I've heard, he's awful offstage. I know of one well-known classical regional theater who refuses to have him back after he hit his dresser. 

Hearing this was crushing to me as I was always a Niles fan...

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#44Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:20pm

Shia Lebeouf

Also, I didn't know about Kelsey/Tambor. Wasn't Kelsey nominated for a Tony? I watched that season of the BH housewives and remember Camille going to the Tonys with him. So how does that work if he left after 10 days?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#45Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 3:32pm

Also, I didn't know about Kelsey/Tambor. Wasn't Kelsey nominated for a Tony? I watched that season of the BH housewives and remember Camille going to the Tonys with him. So how does that work if he left after 10 days?

Kelsey was nominated because he originated the role of Georges in the revival.  Tambor was his replacement who left shortly after he started his run.  

Back Row
#47Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 4:18pm

PThespian said: "The girl who was to play Annie in the Nell Carter revival after winning the nationwide talent search. 

Didn't she end up suing the producers?

Joanna Pacitti. Years later, she was also disqualified from American Idol because she was too closely connected to the producers. 

musicaltheatreman2
#48Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 4:25pm

mc1227 said  "Matthew Broderick from Parade in the late 90's"

I didn't know he was originally cast in Pararde? Why did he get fired or replaced? I can actually picture him playing Leo Frank when he was younger. 

Dave19
#49Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 4:41pm

The showbizz world is such a snake pit, there are many, many reasons why someone is let go.

I have seen situations in professional productions where very talented, hard working people, perfect for a part were fired because of personal issues an assistant director had with them. Including a best friend of the assistant director wanting to be in the show in that place so person A was just worked out of the way. I also know a case of a jealous ex-boyfriend affair turned ugly. I also know a case of someone being kicked out of an ensemble because he had caught the musical director screwing one of the chorus girls in the wings before a rehearsal. The next day the guy didn't have to return because the musical director made a call to the producer and had made up that there were "artistic differences". Even though the ensemble guy was as discrete as can be. Ugly.

I know the eye is always on the actor that it happens to, but actually it should be on the snakes in the pit too.

Updated On: 4/18/16 at 04:41 PM

cliffordbradshaw2
#50Actors who were fired from/left roles
Posted: 4/17/16 at 6:27pm

Please forgive if this has already been mentioned:

When "Wicked" played its tryout run in San Francisco, The Wizard was Robert Morse; Boq was Kirk McDonald; and Dr. Dillamond was John Horton.  All three roles were recast for Broadway.