pixeltracker

Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Page 2

Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#25Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/6/16 at 8:58pm

I hope it's true, but most likely a rumor. Menken said the ship has sailed. Who told you that?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/6/16 at 8:58pm

But why toss the cast to the curb? There was nothing wrong with the original cast just that production.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#27Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/6/16 at 9:24pm

Because this a new production with a new creative team.  They did not pick the cast or the first US production and they are not picking a cast that fulfills their version of the show.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

disneybroadwayfan22
#28Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/6/16 at 9:31pm

I would feel awful for the others though. They seemed to have a blast in the show and the cast was just perfect, especially Arden and Page, who got so much better at Paper Mill. But, is the new production really coming to Broadway? Wouldn't Menken be involved with it if it's planned for Broadway? 

¿Macavity?
#29Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/7/16 at 2:31am

A little off topic, but I was just thinking, how would Aladdin have looked if Glenn had directed it? Aladdin seems to have the same kind of problem that The Little Mermaid did; i.e. cheap sets, strange direction.

aimeric
#30Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:05am

This might be a little off-topic too, but since you guys have been discussing the future of this show, I should note that it's also receiving a production in Tokyo starting in December of this year: https://www.shiki.jp/applause/notredame/special/release/   Based on the Shiki Theatre press release, it seems like they'll be basing their production on the La Jolla/Papermill production, though Japanese productions do sometimes change things like costumes and design elements for their versions of American shows (as with their version of Disney's Little Mermaid), so it'll be interesting to see what form the show takes there.  I guess this is the licensing plan that Disney had for this show now being put into action, not just domestically but also on an international scale...

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#31Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:39am

There's also a version in Denmark, later this year. Fundamentally, this property is so fantastic they'll be fighting over it.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#32Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/8/16 at 12:58am

http://www.mtishows.com/production/the-hunchback-of-notre-dame-0

And there will be a production in Budapest in July 2017.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/8/16 at 1:20am

How much can Casale really change? He can't get rid of the awful narration, can he? The "minstrel story" idea is really terrible. 

aimeric
#34Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/8/16 at 6:54pm

Wow, a couple of upcoming international productions--I'm so excited for this show, I hope it finds success all over the world!  The one thing I always wonder is if it would ever even consider going to France, considering they already have their own musical of "Notre-Dame de Paris" (which is much closer to the original novel)...

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/8/16 at 10:30pm

AEA Stage Manager said: "...As for Hunchback being a co-production, at this time I heard that it is not ( It would be hard to share production costs on a show in the round and proscenium when they are two completely different venues )....

"

I'm not contradicting you with regard to HUNCHBACK, but when I worked at proscenium theaters in South Florida, we shared shows with the Music Center's theater-in-the-round circuit in the Northeast all the time. We built our own drops and shared the cost of set pieces (just as you suggest). 

The actors were given one tech rehearsal to adjust from one style of blocking to another.

So I know it can be done.

AEA Stage Manager Profile Photo
AEA Stage Manager
#36Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:25pm

GavestonPS- I know it can be done. Its done all the time, I just said its "hard to share" that is all. I have worked many a show that has transferred from, in the round to proscenium. Awe the life of doing shows in the round! So much freaking fun!

nycgogetter
#37Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:12pm

The Tokyo one is the same production and design of the La Jolla/Paper Mill Playhouse production.

http://www.shiki.jp/navi/news/renewinfo/027787.html

The rest are just rights released as anyone could want.  They would not be able to change the script.

Rumors are still flying about this project, but may never get to NYC due to the cost of mounting the production here.  Might get to the West End, might tour Europe.  But Disney in the states means something else then in other parts of the world.  The over riding dark story would probably never fly well under the Disney banner - especially going back to the novel's ending.

Saw the show at Paper Mill and adore it . . . wishing it all the best.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#38Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:20pm

Loved this in Berlin years ago. It played like Wagnerian opera...the German language has that effect. Can't wait to make the drive to see this iteration!!

5377brian Profile Photo
5377brian
#39Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:51am

Wildcard said: "Has anyone seen The Little Mermaid at La Mirada yet? Based on the images, it seems that this is the same version that played Papermill Playhouse. 

I saw The Little Mermaid last week. I must say I was unimpressed.  The actress playing Ariel was quite good, and the comedic bits with the Chef were quite funny.  But the sets, and in particular the boat and the pieces meant to represent waves and water, looked like they were from a high school production   Yes, it is regional, but I went in expecting more.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/costa-mesa/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-at-La-Miradas-THE-LITTLE-MERMAID-20160605

"

Wildcard
#40Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 2:55am

So Tom Hewitt is out of La Mirada's Hunchback too? Not that Mark Jacoby is a bad replacement though

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#41Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 3:07am

Was up for Quasimodo in this production, but couldn't make it out to all my callbacks due to being in NYC, so I'm curious to know who they cast in the show. Especially now that everyone is dropping out. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#41Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 3:07am

Was up for Quasimodo in this production, but couldn't make it out to all my callbacks due to being in NYC, so I'm curious to know who they cast in the show. Especially now that everyone is dropping out. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#42Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 8:13am

^I still congratulate you though :) 

Wildcard
#43Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 12:06pm

"The Cast for THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME features John McGinty as Quasimodo, Dino Nicandros as the singing voice of Quasimodo, Cassie Simone as Esmeralda, Mark Jacoby as Frollo, Keith A. Bearden as Clopin, Eric Kunze as Phoebus and the ensemble features: Brandon BurksDoug Carfrae, Cherrie Badajos Cruz, Emily Dauwalder, Rachel Farr, Lance Galgon, Hannah Madeleine Goodman, Devon HadsellWilliam Martinez, Kevin McMahonShanon Mari MillsShannon Stoeke, Stephanie Thiessen and Paul Zelhart.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#44Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 2:15pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/sacramento/article/Music-Circus-to-Present-HUNCHBACK-Featuring-Broadways-Lesli-Margherita-and-First-Deaf-Actor-to-Play-Quasimodo-John-McGinty-20160806

Casale's production in Sacramento which is only 10 days away has almost the same cast as who will be in La Mirada except for Lesli Margherita who will be performing Esmerelda and Andrew Foote who will be Clopin.  Keith Bearden, a Wicked alumni will be performing Clopin in La Mirada.  :)

Will be interesting to see how they feature Dino Nicandros who will be the singing voice for McGinty.  I'm also looking forward to seeing how the choreography will change as I absolutely LOVE what Dana Solimando has done at La Mirada especially her masterful creation for their Billy Elliott production.

Hopefully someone here that will be attending the production in Sacramento will do a review.

Updated On: 8/13/16 at 02:15 PM

mikey2573
#45Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/13/16 at 9:46pm

I saw this show a few weeks ago at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine.  The production and performances were all top notch, but the material was difficult to connect to and follow.  I am really not sure why --the material was very dense, with lots going on, similar to LES MISERABLES.  But the creators were not able to make it all work.   Too bad

Here are the press reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_P_cZl2MsI

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/14/16 at 3:35am

Yeah, that was painful to watch. I think it's a tough property to make work. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#47Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/14/16 at 7:27am

The problem here is that this is a deliberate rip off from the original productions. Nothing new at all. And with all respect to the actor who's Frollo, I think he's too young to be him.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#48Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Posted: 8/14/16 at 10:37am

I don't think anyone was expecting originality from Ogunquit. Casale's production will likely differ a great deal from the original stagings at La Jolla and Papermill.

Latest Posts