pixeltracker

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread- Page 4

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread

FancyNacy
#75The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:30pm

Here is the thing re design categories. If you are going to put Walt on the list for Tuck, without a doubt you HAVE to include Gregg Barnes for costume design. Both of them together effortlessly create a world that is magical and truly looks like a storybook. Honestly I think it is one of the most expensive looking shows on Broadway because it demonstrates great technical skill, while remaining simple and concise. Personally I think it is how the design assists in the storytelling that makes a winner. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#76The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:47pm

Just because Phillipa Soo's role may not be as huge of a part as some of the others, that should not diminish what she is doing. There are six wonderful lead actresses this year, and Soo would be my second pick (after Erivo of course).  She deserves this nomination.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#77The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 2:53pm

HenryTDobson said: "Just because Phillipa Soo's role may not be as huge of a part as some of the others, that should not diminish what she is doing."

This is the most succinct way of putting what's been going through my head as I read some of these posts. If Soo's role wasn't big "enough," the Tony committee would have ruled her to be considered as a Featured Actress. Eliza Hamilton is clearly the leading female role of the show, and I resent that people view a subdued, nuanced, and touching performance in this gorgeous role as not flashy enough to be considered as a lead actress nomination/award contender. An element of self-effacement is the whole point of the character of Eliza. I don't understand how to make it any clearer.

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 02:53 PM

woeisme3
#78The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:07pm

I personally think however nuanced Soo may be, Cynthia Erivo, Laura Benanti, Carmen Cusack, Audra McDonald, and Jessie Mueller are all giving better performances. Yes, they have flashier roles, but I also think they're just giving more layered performances. When I saw Hamilton, I thought Soo was the weakest link of the main players, and that thought hasn't particularly changed no matter how much I listen to the cast album.

theatreguy12
#79The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:10pm

Though she wasn't my favorite of the leading ladies I saw (haven't seen Cusack though), I thought she was terrific.   I saw the show a month ago and was expecting to see less of her on stage based on what I had been reading here on the boards.  I was pleasantly surprised to see her quite often actually (by comparison to what I was expecting), and thought she was wonderful.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#80The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:11pm

It has nothing to do with the "flashiness" or lack thereof, nor with the size of the role. My point has everything to do with the actresses playing the roles. I think the role of Eliza IS leading, I just don't think the performance is as worthy of a nomination as the others. Agree that she is the weakest link (in a chain of very, very strong performances!).

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 03:11 PM

theateraddiction
#81The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 4:13pm

This doesn't exactly answer the question, but I think a tie in this category is extremely likely. I'm not sure if we will see a tie in Leading Actor (curious what others think about this), but I feel very confident that there will be 6 nominees, allowing nominations for both Cusack & Soo.

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 04:13 PM

aaaaaa15
#82The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 6:21pm

See for me, Soo's performance is the heart and soul of the show along with Leslie Odom Jr. She brings what sounds like a fairly bland role on the cast recording to life on stage. I was absolutely captivated by her and honestly, I'm gonna be more sorry to see her go than any other cast member from Hamilton. She is so far from being the weakest link in Hamilton. (Although I understand why not everyone would put her as their top performance either).

For the people that say they haven't seen her but didn't feel like they missed anything, how can you know? As great as Oak is, to say that he is giving a more unmissable performance than Phillipa is ridiculous. 

The Tony committee aren't not going to nominate her because of the size of her part, they put her in leading. If she doesn't get nominated, it will be because they didn't think her performance was as accomplished as the other actresses.

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 06:21 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#83The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 6:35pm

I didn't say I hadn't seen Philippa. I said I had seen it without her. In fact, I saw it without her once (with Alysha) and also saw it with her several times. Alysha was just as mesmerizing and gave just as beautiful a performance. On the other hand I saw it with Oak several times, and then when I saw his understudy I really noticed the difference and appreciated Oak's performance--particularly as Mulligan--a lot more than I had before I saw his understudy.  

This isn't to knock Soo. I think she's giving a beautiful, wonderful performance and I truly hope for a tie so all 6 ladies are recognized. It may just be that Alysha is also just incredibly talented which is why I didn't miss Soo. It's just that this year I think there are 5 other performances that to me really are incredibly transforming the roles and shows they're in. It's not the size of the role, but transformative nature of those other performances. (I haven't seen Audra in Shuffle Along so this is based on the reviews as I won't see it until the end of May.). Any other year I think she'd be a shoo-in because I really do think her performance is stunning. 

aaaaaa15
#84The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 6:37pm

Ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding! I haven't seen Alysha but have heard some audios of her online and I did miss Phillipa's voice but perhaps she is a great actress too.

ChiTheaterFan
#85The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 6:53pm

No worries. I was a little bummed when I saw Soo was out but Alysha pleasantly surprised me. Her voice is a little different but not in a bad way. (And it's always hard when you have a cast recording nearly memorized to hear someone else in the role.). But her acting was stunning and she broke my heart in Helpless. (As did Soo.) So maybe it's more to Alysha's credit than anything, but I do think the writing makes this a great role. (To Philippa's further credit, I think based on the book she inspired the writing of the role quite a bit.)

If a year ago you would've asked me if anyone would squeeze Soo out of the nominations, I would've told you you were crazy.  

For what it's worth, if I were a nominator, I would probably vote for Soo over Mueller, but I don't foresee Mueller being shut out at all. I do think Mueller transformed Waitress, but that's because I think I would've quite disliked the show without her.   I liked it with her, but I do prefer Soo's performance as Eliza. Honestly, my favorite two female lead performances were Erivo and Cusack, followed by Benanti (although it's so hard to compare a comedic role). I haven't seen McDonald but by the glowing nature of the reviews and the fact that it's Audra, I don't see her being left out. 

Any of these ladies could be Tony winners in another year. I really do hope they're all recognized. How lucky for us that they've all graced our stages this year!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#86The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:58pm

Right, in discussing the leading actress category, it really cannot be stated enough just how strong a year it is. In fact, of the six contenders (McDonald, Benanti, Cusack, Soo, Erivo and Mueller) it isn't at all a stretch to say each of them would have been the frontrunner to win the whole thing last year, in 2014 and certainly in 2013. As luck would have it, we are seeing some of the strongest female performances on a Broadway stage from these talents-- all happening at the same time. It is a gift, really.

If ever there were a year when the acting category should be expanded to six, this is that year. Am I optimistic that the nominating committee will do what's right? Not particularly because they have disappointed me many a time before. However, I am holding out hope because, though I stand by that Cusack deserves a nod over Soo, really all six women are giving performances of a lifetime and it would be so thrilling and just to see them each recognized. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, the rule that the category could potentially be expanded in the event of a near-tie is from 2014, right? Meaning it has not ever happened in Tony history? How thrilling that would be this year. 

aaaaaa15
#87The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:16pm

I think we can all agree that a tie would be the best case scenario and that if one of these ladies doesn't get a nomination it's not because they're not deserving, but because the competition is so intense for this category.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#88The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:25pm

Best Musical:
Hamilton
School of Rock
Shuffle Along...
Waitress

Best Revival of a Musical:
The Color Purple
Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Musical:
Alex Brightman-School of Rock
Danny Burstein-Fiddler on the Roof
Lin-Manuel Miranda-Hamilton
Leslie Odom, Jr.-Hamilton
Zachary Levi -She Loves Me

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Musical:
Laura Benanti-She Loves Me
Cynthia Erivo-The Color Purple
Audra McDonald-Shuffle Along...
Jessie Mueller-Waitress
Phillipa Soo-Hamilton

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Musical:
Gavin Creel-She Loves Me
Daveed Diggs-Hamilton
Jonathan Groff-Hamilton
Billy Porter-Shuffle Along
Christopher Fitzgerald-Waitress

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Musical:
Danielle Brooks-The Color Purple
Renee Elise Goldsberry-Hamilton
Jennifer Simard-Disaster!
Jane Krakowski-She Loves Me
Helene Yorke-American Psycho

Best Direction of a Musical:
John Doyle-The Color Purple
Scott Ellis-She Loves Me
Thomas Kail-Hamilton
George C. Wolff-Shuffle Along...

Best Original Score:
Bright Star
-Music By Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Lyrics By Edie Brickell
Hamilton-Music & Lyrics By Lin-Manuel Miranda
School of Rock-Music By Andrew Lloyd Webber, Lyrics By Glenn Slater
Waitress-Music & Lyrics By Sara Bareilles

Best Play:
Eclipsed
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

Best Revival of a Play:
The Crucible
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Noises Off
A View From the Bridge

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Play:
Gabriel Byrne-Long Day’s Journey Into NightBlackbird
Frank Langella-The Father
Tim Pigott-Smith-King Charles III
Mark Strong-A View From the Bridge
Ben Whishaw-The Crucible

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Play:
Jessica Lange-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Lupita Nyong’o-Eclipsed
Sophie Okonedo-The Crucible 
Nicola Walker-A View From the Bridge
Michelle Williams-Blackbird

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Play:
Reed Birney-The Humans
John Gallagher, Jr.-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Ciaran Hinds-The Crucible
Michael Shannon-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Robert Sella -Sylvia 

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Play:
Megan Hilty-Noises Off
Jayne Houdyshell-The Humans
Judith Light-Therese Raquin 
Saoirse Ronan-The Crucible
Saycon Sengbloh-Eclipsed

Best Direction of a Play:
Rupert Goold-King Charles III
Jonathan Kent-Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Joe Mantello-The Humans
Liesl Tommy-Eclipsed
Ivo Van Hove-A View From The Bridge 

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 08:25 PM

theateraddiction
#89The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:47am

As I've been finalizing my predictions over the course of the last few days, I've been thinking that if there was a 5th nomination, it would go to American Psycho...but now as I think about it, I'm wondering if it may go to Bright Star. I know what a major role nat'l tour potential plays in these nominations. While I absolutely LOVED both shows (and would be pleased if either were nominated), it seems unlikely that it would successfully tour. However, I think Bright Star could  do very well on tour. Does anybody else think this could lead Bright Star to getting that 5th slot?

BrockMButler Profile Photo
BrockMButler
#90The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:31pm

My predictions for Tuesday with winners in bold

Musicals

Best Musical
Hamilton
School of Rock
Shuffle Along
Waitress
If there's a 5th: American Psycho
SHOULD BE NOMINATED- Bright Star

Revival
The Color Purple
She Loves Me
Spring Awakening
If there's a 4th: Fiddler on the Roof

Director
Michael Arden- Spring Awakening
John Doyle- The Color Purple
Tommy Kail- Hamilton
George C Wolfe- Shuffle Along
Spoiler: Scott Ellis- She Loves Me

Lead Actress
Laura Benanti- She Loves Me
Carmen Cusack- Bright Star
Cynthia Erivo- The Color Purple
Audra McDonald- Shuffle Along
Jessie Mueller- Waitress
Spoiler: Phillipa Soo- Hamilton

Lead Actor 
Alex Brightman- School of Rock
Danny Burstein- Fiddler on the Roof
Lin Manuel Miranda- Hamilton
Leslie Odom- Hamilton
Benjamin Walker- American Psycho
Spoiler: Zachary Levi- She Loves Me

Featured Actress 
Danielle Brooks- The Color Purple
Jennifer Hudson- The Color Purple
Renee Elise Goldsberry- Hamilton
Jane Krakowski- She Loves Me
Jennifer Simard- Disaster!
Spoiler: Adrienne Warren- Shuffle Along

Featured Actor
Daveed Diggs- Hamilton
Billy Porter- Shuffle Along
Christopher Fitzgerald- Waitress
Gavin Creel- She Loves Me
Paul Alexander Nolan- Bright Star
Spoiler: Jonathan Groff- Hamilton

Book
Jessie Nelson- Waitress
Steve Martin- Bright Star
Julian Fellowes- School of Rock
Spoiler: George C Wolfe- Shuffle Along

Score
Sara Bareilles- Waitress
Steve Martin & Edie Brickell- Bright Star
Andrew Lloyd Webber- School of Rock
Spoiler: Duncan Sheik- American Psycho

Choreo
Hamilton- Andy Blankenbuehler
Shuffle Along- Savion Glover
Spring Awakening- Spencer Liff
American Psycho- Lynne Page
Spoiler: Warren Carlyle- She Loves Me

Plays

Best Play
Eclipsed
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

Revival
The Crucible
Long Day's Journey Into Night
Noises Off
A View from the Bridge

Director
Rupert Goold- King Charles III
Joe Mantello- The Humans
Liesl Tommy- Eclipsed
Ivo Van Hove- A View from the Bridge

Lead Actor
Gabriel Byrne- Long Day's Journey Into Night
Frank Langella- The Father
Tim Pigott-Smith- King Charles III
Mark Strong- A View from the Bridge
Ben Whishaw- The Crucible
Spoiler: Jesse Tyler Ferguson- Fully Committed

Lead Actress
Jessica Lange- Long Day's Journey Into Night
Sophie Okonedo- The Crucible
Lupita N'Yongo- Eclipsed
Nicola Walker- A View from the Bridge
Michelle Williams- Blackbird
Spoiler: Annaleigh Ashford- Syvia

Featured Actor
Reed Birney- The Humans
John Gallagher Jr- Long Day's Journey Into Night
Ciarin Hinds- The Cucible
Michael Shannon- Long Day's Journey Into Night
Russel Tovey- A View from the Bridge

Featured Actress
Megan Hilty- Noises Off
Jayne Houdyshell- The Humans
Andrea Martin- Noises Off
Saoirse Ronan- The Crucible
Saycon Sengbloh- Eclipsed

Brock

mar6411
#91The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:31pm

Choreography:

I saw both Hamilton (yes Roxy, that's what the name is) and Shuffle Along and really liked them both.  Thought the choreography was outstanding for both.  But I think Hamilton stands head and shoulders above Shuffle Along because of the movement throughout the whole show and every scene.  It is one of the things that made seeing it so special.  

I loved the dance sequences in Shuffle Along and can't wait to drag my husband to NYC to see the tap dancing, but the movement in every scene for Hamilton just sticks with me.

Don't know if I expressed that in any way that made sense, but I'll be surprised if Hamilton doesn't win choreography.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#92The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:34pm

To Mar

I do know what the name is.

Poster Emeritus

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#93The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:40pm

Mark nails it I bet. Except  Audra out; Carmen Cusak in.

mar6411
#94The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:45pm

I wasn't sure.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#95The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:47pm

Glad to have cleared that up.

Poster Emeritus

theatreguy12
#96The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 2:16pm

Haven't seen Cusack but if she's on the list that's fine. Sounds like she's doing something stellar on stage. I wouldn't drop Audra for her though but rather Soo, even though I did like her too. As for choreography I still give it to Glover. Hamilton's movement was indeed super, and it could pull it off. IMO it would only be because it edged out Shuffle Along though, not that it's head and shoulders above SA. While there's continuous movement in Hamilton, there's so much dance in SA it competes pretty well on that level as well.

Broadway61004
#97The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 2:18pm

BEST MUSICAL

Bright Star

Hamilton

Shuffle Along

Waitress

(If 5th: American Psycho)

BEST PLAY

Eclipsed

The Humans

King Charles III

Therese Raquin

(If 5th: The Father)

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

The Color Purple

Fiddler on the Roof

She Loves Me

(If 4th: Spring Awakening)

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

The Crucible

Noises Off

A View From The Bridge

(If 5th: Blackbird)

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY

Gabriel Byrne, Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Frank Langella, The Father

Tim Pigott-Smith, King Charles III

Mark Strong, A View From The Bridge

Ben Whishaw, The Crucible

(If 6th: Jeff Daniels, Blackbird; If 7th: Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Fully Committed)

BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Jessica Lange, Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Linda Lavin, Our Mother’s Brief Affair

Lupita Nyong’o, Eclipsed

Sophie Okonedo, The Crucible

Michelle Williams, Blackbird

(if 6th: Nicola Walker, A View From The Bridge; If 7th: Annaleigh Ashford, Sylvia)

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

Reed Birney, The Humans

David Furr, Noises Off

Richard Goulding, King Charles III

Ciaran Hinds, The Crucible

Michael Shannon, Long Day’s Journey Into Night

(If 6th: John Gallagher, Jr., Long Day’s Journey Into Night; If 7th: Russell Tovey, A View From The Bridge)

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Megan Hilty, Noises Off

Jane Houdyshell, The Humans

Lauren Klein, The Humans

Saoirse Ronan, The Crucible

Saycon Sengbloh, Eclipsed

(If 6th: Zainab Jah, Eclipsed; If 7th: Phoebe Fox, A View From The Bridge)

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

Alex Brightman, School of Rock

Danny Burstein, Fiddler on the Roof

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton

Leslie Odom, Jr., Hamilton

Benjamin Walker, American Psycho

(If 6th: Zachary Levi, She Loves Me; If 7th: Telly Leung, Allegiance)

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Laura Benanti, She Loves Me

Carmen Cusack, Bright Star

Cynthia Erivo, The Color Purple

Audra McDonald, Shuffle Along

Jessie Mueller, Waitress

(If 6th: Philippa Soo, Hamilton; If 7th: Ana Villafane, On Your Feet)

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

Daveed Diggs, Hamilton

Christopher Fitzgerald, Waitress

Jonathan Groff, Hamilton

Christopher Jackson, Hamilton

Billy Porter, Shuffle Along

(If 6th: Terrance Mann, Tuck Everlasting; If 7th: Nicholas Barasch, She Loves Me)

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple

Renee Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton

Jennifer Hudson, The Color Purple

Jane Krakowski, She Loves Me

Jennifer Simard, Disaster

(If 6th: Keala Settle, Waitress; If 7th: Jessica Hecht, Fiddler on the Roof)

BEST DIRECTION OF A MUSICAL

John Doyle, The Color Purple

Scott Ellis, She Loves Me

Thomas Kail, Hamilton

Diane Paulus, Waitress

George C. Wolfe, Shuffle Along

BEST DIRECTION OF A PLAY

Rupert Goold, King Charles III

Joe Mantello, The Humans

Leisl Tommy, Eclipsed

Ivo van Hove, The Crucible

Ivo van Hove, A View From The Bridge

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY

Andy Blankenbuehler, Hamilton

Savion Glover, Shuffle Along

Casey Nicholaw, Tuck Everlasting

Hofesh Schechter, Fiddler on the Roof

Sergio Trujillo, On Your Feet

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Bright Star

Hamilton

School of Rock

Waitress

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL

American Psycho

Bright Star

Hamilton

Waitress

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS

Bright Star

The Color Purple

Hamilton

Shuffle Along

BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A PLAY

Fully Committed

The Humans

Noises Off

Therese Raquin

BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A PLAY

The Crucible

King Charles III

Noises Off

Therese Raquin

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A PLAY

The Crucible

Eclipsed

The Humans

BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A MUSICAL

American Psycho

Hamilton

She Loves Me

Tuck Everlasting

BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A MUSICAL

Bright Star

Hamilton

She Loves Me

Shuffle Along

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A MUSICAL

American Psycho

Hamilton

On Your Feet

She Loves Me

Alex10
#98The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 2:25pm

I'm glad it doesn't seem like I'm alone in my thought that if Cusack makes it in, it might be at the expense of Audra rather than Phillipa. Audra is stellar, don't get me wrong, but I feel like her role is the least significant and showy of the six contenders, and after six wins, the nominators may feel like spreading the love.

theatreguy12
#99The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:00pm

Shuffle Along is indeed quite an ensemble piece, but Lottie Gee, as the only female lead and the character diva of the story, hers is, IMO, not only significant but showy. With Audra in the role she is front and center quite a bit. At least as much if not more than Soo. It will be up to the voters I guess, but I'd be shocked to see AM left out.