pixeltracker

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements- Page 65

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1600HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 10:13am

Carvens has improved TREMENDOUSLY since I saw him in DC."

Interesting you say this about Carvens.  I thought he was wonderful the 2 times I saw him in DC.  The 3rd time I saw it, he had already left this production and the new Washington was on.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Sincerely Werk! Profile Photo
Sincerely Werk!
#1601HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 2:35pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "
Carvens has improved TREMENDOUSLY since I saw him in DC."

Interesting you say this about Carvens. I thought he was wonderful the 2 times I saw him in DC. The 3rd time I saw it, he had already left this production and the new Washington was on.

"

I wasn't trying to say that he was bad, I thought he was fine at first, but he's made some major improvements that made me appreciate him a lot more. His "Right Hand Man" brought a lot more intensity, his "History Has It's Eyes On You" was way more direct, and his "One Last Time" was way more emotional.

bwaylinds Profile Photo
bwaylinds
#1602HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 2:43pm

MyLife said: "I still think Anthony Lee Medina is the best Laurens Hamilton has ever had. For a role that dies twice, he really packs a punch."

I really liked Ruben Carbajal as Laurens/Phillip more than Medina. I hope that after the San Fransisco production, he goes to broadway.

Off-topic-ish but does anyone know if the March 2020 production in LA is going to be a new cast and a sit down production or part of one of the tours?

DottieD'Luscia
#1603HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 2:59pm

@Sincereley Werk! Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the 17th.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#1604HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 6:49pm

I agree, Mandy needs to go. I’ve seen her three times and each time was more underwhelming than the last.

Rainah
#1605HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/6/19 at 7:13pm

bwaylinds said: "MyLife said: "I still think Anthony Lee Medina is the best Laurens Hamilton has ever had. For a role that dies twice, he really packs a punch."

I really liked Ruben Carbajal as Laurens/Phillip more than Medina. I hope that after the San Fransisco production, he goes to broadway.

Off-topic-ish but does anyone know if the March 2020 production in LA is going to be a new cast and a sit down production or part of one of the tours?
"

That's interesting to hear, we must have seen very different performances! He was my least favourite of many laurens/philips I have seen. I'd rank them

Anthony Lee Medina
Anthony Ramos
Jordan Fisher
Andrew Chappelle
Ruben Carbajal

* Fisher was a mixed bag when I saw him. There were moments when he was breathtaking, and there were moments where he was, basically, mugging to the audience for laughs rather than playing the actual character intentions and letting the scene be funny on its own.

Sincerely Werk!
#1606HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 8:25am

rainah says: That's interesting to hear, we must have seen very different performances! He was my least favourite of many laurens/philips I have seen. I'd rank them

Anthony Lee Medina
Anthony Ramos
Jordan Fisher
Andrew Chappelle
Ruben Carbajal

* Fisher was a mixed bag when I saw him. There were moments when he was breathtaking, and there were moments where he was, basically, mugging to the audience for laughs rather than playing the actual character intentions and letting the scene be funny on its own.
"

Laurens/Phillip is one of those roles that really depends on personal taste to determine if you enjoyed the performance. Ruben's Laurens is a lot less comedic than Fisher's or Medina's, but he is more ambitious and determined, which makes his death more heartbreaking.

Chapelle, while tall, can play the little kid of the show really well, it especially works when he's 19. He still gives off an immature vibe, but his height settles in well.

I'd rank them:

1. Jose Ramos

2. Anthony Lee Medina

3. Andrew Chappelle

4. Ruben J Carbajal

5. Anthony Ramos

6. Jordan Fisher 

7. Thayne Jasperson

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1607HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 8:36am

I saw the show for the first time ever last Wednesday night, and Ryan Vasquez was on as Hamilton. I thought he was outstanding, and his dynamic with Daniel Breaker as Burr worked really well, highlighting the Mozart/Salieri relationship that I didn't get from the cast recording. The two of them, along with Euan Morton, made the show for me.

MyLife
#1608HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 9:09am

Interesting. I didn't find Medina's Laurens to be that comedic at all. It was vulnerable, exciting, and ambitious. He has tears in his eyes the whole time and I was living for it. His Phillip is appropriately funny,

There are also actors where it's hard to rank because they're stronger in one Act over another. For example, Thayne's Laurens was nothing spectacular but I found his Phillip to be one of my favorites. Chappelle, while not "bad"  I can't ever get over how big he is that is Phillip just comes off as a joke to me. But his Laurens is incredible.

Stellasteve
#1609HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 9:48am

bwaylinds said: "MyLife said: "thanOff-topic-ish but does anyone know if the March 2020 production in LA is going to be a new cast and a sit down production or part of one of the tours?"

The speculation is the And Peggy Company will transfer from SF to LA next year.

Sincerely Werk!
#1610HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 2:07pm

MyLife said: "Interesting. I didn't find Medina's Laurens to be that comedic at all. It was vulnerable, exciting, and ambitious. He has tears in his eyes the whole time and I was living for it. His Phillip is appropriately funny,

There are also actors where it's hard to rank because they're stronger in one Act over another. For example, Thayne's Laurens was nothing spectacular but I found his Phillip to be one of my favorites. Chappelle, while not "bad" I can't ever get over how big he is that is Phillip just comes off as a joke to me. But his Laurens is incredible.
"

I haven't seen him since mid- 2017 so I guess he's made some changes since then, I thought he was ambitious enough for Laurens, it just wasn't the main thing I noticed in his overall performance.

Rainah
#1611HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 2:10pm

Sincerely Werk! said: "Laurens/Phillip is one of those roles that really depends on personal taste to determine if you enjoyed the performance. Ruben's Laurens is a lot less comedic than Fisher's or Medina's, but he is more ambitious and determined, which makes his death more heartbreaking.

Chapelle, while tall, can play the little kid of the show really well, it especially works when he's 19. He still gives off an immature vibe, but his height settles in well.
"

Oh yes I forgot Jose Ramos, I found him cute and good in the role but not especially a standout. Haven't seen Thayne, but I've heard not great things about it. Which is a pity, I love Thayne. Chapelle's height gets me too, especially when he's dying and can barely fit on the table.

To me, to be ideal in the role(s)

As Laurens, they need to have chemistry with Alexander and be reasonably equal, as they are friends/colleges/possibly more (That was my issue with Jose, he looked SO YOUNG next to Miguel it threw off the dynamic). I look for the fire and temper that Laurens was known for, some devil-may-care attitude of one who grew up very privileged (contrast to Alexander's near death experiences early in life and more precarious position) as well as a sense of doomed nobility about him. Laurens has to pull off the revelry of "my shot" and then slide into the seriousness of "The story of tonight." (One of my favourite moments is the contrast between Laurens' "Something they can never take away/no matter what they tell you" that is sung to the others and has the feeling of a activist speaking to a crowd, compared to Alexander's later "no matter what they tell you" sung as a quiet reminder to himself.

It's not an easy blend to hit, and Medina is the only one I've seen get all of it. He was the first Laurens I saw that made me say, yes, between him and Alexander he is the more tempestuous one. (though in terms of tempestuous, I'd put Chapelle's Lafayette at #1)

For Philip, it's the youth, brash confidence, and having good comedic timing without turning it into a farce. Take A Break is a funny scene, but when the actor tries to play it up I find it becomes LESS funny, not more. It's funnier if "this 9 year old character is being played by an adult man" is treated absolutely seriously. Then, the invincibility and hotheadedness that is so common in 19 year olds, the wiggles of doubt and uncertainty, and finally his death. I love a good death where the Philip can really play up how young he was, treating the lines as looking desperately for some reassurance from his parents. Just to twist the knife a bit deeper.

Sincerely Werk!
#1612HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/7/19 at 4:47pm

FlyHigh523 said: "I agree, Mandy needs to go. I’ve seen her three times and each time was more underwhelming than the last."

Out of all the principles, I think she's been there the longest (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#1613HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/8/19 at 5:56pm

Do we know who's replacing Michael Luyowe?

Janaenae
#1614HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/8/19 at 6:04pm

It is a bit strange they haven't announced it yet since he's leaving soon. But I'd put my money on Austin Scott- seeing as he just left the tour a little while ago and dropped some hints that he has some new, exciting engagement coming up soon. I mean it could be something else but the timing seems perfect. 

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#1615HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 12:21am

DottieD'Luscia said: "I went to the box office on Sunday and was able to purchase a regularly priced ticket to Michael's final performance. I was shocked, but thought it was worth a shot to inquire."

Is the 8pm show this Saturday Michael’s final performance? I’m 99% sure that’s right but wondered if you knew for sure. 

Thank you! I’d love to catch him one more time and am hatching a last-minute scheme. :) 

DottieD'Luscia
#1616HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 7:00am

Michael's initial tweet had him leaving on the 17th. That's the date I have a ticket for. Now I'm not sure if his final is Saturday evening or the matinee on Sunday.  I just went back to his Twitter account and it's a bit confusing.

"16 February is coming fast y'all. Followed by: Sunday, February 17 12:00AM Hamilton final bow"

So which is it?!

Updated On: 2/13/19 at 07:00 AM

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#1617HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 9:02am

Yes, exactly. Now on the Instagram post where he announces it, he does say on February 16th I will take my final bow. I feel like—and I could be wrong—that Sunday is his usual day off. Hmmmm. 

This is the instagram gram post—https://www.instagram.com/p/BrYhdFwHPUW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=btfvrby50jv7

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#1618HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 9:11am

I just looked at the tweet again. I think the February 17th 12am on the photo is just his countdown app setting—showing he picked that date to set the countdown. I’m thinking 8pm Saturday the 16th is most likely his final show. 

DottieD'Luscia
#1619HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 9:24am

Bummer. I've seen the show before, but I bought the ticket for the 17th only to see him.  I'll check to see if the box office can exchange my ticket for Friday evening, as that's the only opening I have this weekend (I'm coming in from out of town).

Updated On: 2/13/19 at 09:24 AM

DottieD'Luscia
#1620HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 2:59pm

Any word on Jevon McFerrin's (alternate) performance as Hamilton?

MyLife
#1621HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 3:51pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "Any word on Jevon McFerrin's (alternate) performance as Hamilton?"

Looks like it has been Ryan Vasquez

kellysruby
#1622HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 4:06pm

Not sure if this was added later, but ML says this on the IG photo:

>>>On Saturday, 16 February 2019, I will take my final bow as Alexander Hamilton.
I have no idea what’s on the other side of the 16th but, like I did after this photo, I’ll start stepping towards something new.<<<

kellysruby
#1623HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 4:06pm

Not sure if this was added later, but ML says this on the IG photo:

>>>On Saturday, 16 February 2019, I will take my final bow as Alexander Hamilton.
I have no idea what’s on the other side of the 16th but, like I did after this photo, I’ll start stepping towards something new.<<<

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1624HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 2/13/19 at 4:18pm

At one of the Asian American panels at BroadwayCon, they said the new Hamilton will be someone currently in the cast.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt