pixeltracker

Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16

Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#1Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:36pm

https://youtu.be/Ik8b34nzXIA

I know, I know, it's vertical and I recorded in a theater. I'll repent my sins.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#2Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:44pm

That may be a cardinal sin around these parts, but I imagine they were hoping people would take videos of this surprise appearance to share. It's free advertising. Either way, that looks like it was a lot of fun! 

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 09:44 PM

alliesinger
#3Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:47pm

That's what I'm hoping! I think it's great Martin came by. Is he doing it often? Will definitely increase the word-of-mouth buzz for this show (which was lovely, by the way). Glad to see the ticket sales going in the right direction.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#4Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:52pm

Great treat for the audience...I'm pulling for his show, I thought it was well done...

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#5Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:56pm

Can't watch the video right now but did he do the entr'acte again? If so, that's cool but it's relying on word of mouth still. If he wants to actively give the show a boost (though it's been steadily improving) I think he would need to step into a role where it could be actively publicized. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

alliesinger
#6Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:05pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "Can't watch the video right now but did he do the entr'acte again? If so, that's cool but it's relying on word of mouth still. If he wants to actively give the show a boost (though it's been steadily improving) I think he would need to step into a role where it could be actively publicized. 

"

Yes, the entr'acte tonight. I see your point, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about him stepping into a role just yet. It'd seem too desperate, and I don't think the show is in a desperate place. It's on the upswing and gaining momentum. (I think/hope?) Plus, the cast gels so wonderfully as-is.

ChiTheaterFan
#7Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:03pm

I was in the mezzanine tonight and there were phones taking videos all over the place!  So I wouldn't feel too bad. Usually phones drive me CRAZY but at the entr'acte it's actually not so bad. I was just so excited to see Steve Martin!

I think him stepping in even for this could definitely add publicity to the show and increase ticket sales. I don't think people will pay just for the expectation of seeing him, but it may heighten awareness of the show in general. At least I hope so!  

I adored it even more the second time. I couldn't see the balcony, but the mezzanine was almost full and the audience reaction was fabulous!!

ChiTheaterFan
#8Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:05pm

P.S.  I would take the phones recording the entr'acte over the people who wouldn't SHUT UP afterward any day. That was the only part that bugged me. 

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 11:05 PM

alliesinger
#9Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:41pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "P.S.  I would take the phones recording the entr'acte over the people who wouldn't SHUT UP afterward any day. That was the only part that bugged me. 

"

Yup.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#10Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:26am

I don't know how much publicity it could add without a guarantee of seeing him? So strange.

alliesinger
#11Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/18/16 at 8:43am

Scarywarhol said: "I don't know how much publicity it could add without a guarantee of seeing him? So strange.

"

My parents, who come in once or twice a year to see a show, went ape when I told them he was there and said they had to buy tickets. I reminded my mom there was no guarantee he would be there again (and in fact probably wouldn't) but she didn't seem to care. It's the small chance of it happening again, coupled with a sense that he's strongly supporting his show, that'll get the more reluctant butts into seats -- and then I'm thinking the show itself will do the rest.

ChiTheaterFan
#12Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/18/16 at 9:28am

I also just think it's a way of publicizing his involvement with the show that could have a subconscious effect. It's like celebrity endorsements. You don't consciously buy something because a celebrity has endorsed it, but there's a part of your mind that thinks of the commercial with the celebrity when you see that product in the store and it raises your awareness of the product and a part of your brain associates the two. It's part of the brand. Now for people who see those clips, when they see something about bright star they'll think of that video of Steve Martin playing he banjo. It becomes less of an arbitrary ad for just another Broadway show. Whether it will actually have an impact?  I don't know. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#13Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/18/16 at 9:51am

I've said this in another thread, but I think it's worth reiterating. The show has, in my opinion, done a really lousy job publicizing the fact that bona fide LEGEND Steve Martin wrote the whole dang thing. Look at Waitress. You can't even hear the word without immediately hearing Sara Bareilles' name-- and Mr. Martin is a much bigger star and entertainment force than she is. 

Anything they can do to let the public know that Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) has written a musical, that has been nominated for FIVE Tony Awards, including the big one, is a good move in my opinion. 

Anyways, I adore Bright Star and am very glad to see its sales ticking in the right direction. I'm just really hoping they can "make it" for a while, at least. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#14Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 12:05am

He was back again tonight! What a delight that was!

Hairspray0901
#15Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:55am

He was at the matinee yesterday too :) nice surprise

ChiTheaterFan
#16Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:03am

Hope he's at the June 12 matinee!  My parents would love it.  We shall see...

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#17Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:08am

Hairspray0901 said: "He was at the matinee yesterday too :) nice surprise"

At this point is it really a surprise anymore?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:17am

Yes, it's still a suprise (isn't this only the third time?).  It will continue to be a surprise until the first dolt posts, "I was so screwed, Steve Martin didn't even perform at the show I was at!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 5/19/16 at 10:17 AM

Hairspray0901
#19Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:53am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Hairspray0901 said: "He was at the matinee yesterday too :) nice surprise"

At this point is it really a surprise anymore?

"

Yes because he was there 5/13, not 5/14 (2 shows) or 5/15. And he was there 5/17. Seemed like it was random to me...

10086sunset
#20Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:56am

Shame it doesn't seem like his schedule will permit stepping into the show.

Honestly, at this point its the only thing that could prolong the run.

Hairspray0901
#21Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 11:03am

While they're still not making superb numbers at the box office, I was shocked and pleased to see the line out the door when I got there yesterday around 10:10 to purchase my ticket. The performance was nearly full, with only the left balcony being empty. Granted - I'm not sure how many people paid full price and whatnot but it was certainly an improvement from the last time I was there (5/4) where the mezz and balcony were almost completely empty. So, their Tony noms and his appearances lately are definitely helping with word of mouth 

Updated On: 5/19/16 at 11:03 AM

ChiTheaterFan
#22Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 11:12am

I saw him tweet on Saturday about flying to LA and he was on Howard stern Monday (which I assume films in LA)?  So so far since he started, it seems like he's appeared in every show he's been in town for. But of course "so far" is less than a week, so hardly enough to be considered a predictable pattern. 

ChiTheaterFan
#23Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 11:15am

Hairspray0901 said: "While they're still not making superb numbers at the box office, I was shocked and pleased to see the line out the door when I got there yesterday around 10:10 to purchase my ticket. The performance was nearly full, with only the left balcony being empty. Granted - I'm not sure how many people paid full price and whatnot but it was certainly an improvement from the last time I was there (5/4) where the mezz and balcony were almost completely empty. So, their Tony noms and his appearances lately are definitely helping with word of mouth 

"

This is great to hear!  I couldn't see the balcony, but Tuesday every seat in the mezzanine appeared full but one and I didn't see any empty seats in the orchestra. (Couldn't see the rear orchestra though.). Almost every week it's had an increase in sales. I hope it continues!  

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#24Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/19/16 at 3:36pm

I'll be there tonight - I hope he shows up again!

ArtMan
#25Steve Martin at BRIGHT STAR 5/17/16
Posted: 5/22/16 at 9:15pm

He was also at the May 18 evening performance.