pixeltracker

Saddest Bway Performances- Page 3

Saddest Bway Performances

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#50Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:13am

I'll Cover You (reprise) - just gets me every time I hear it and saw it live.

Lot's Wife - I was a TOTAL sobbing mess during the last part and after that song in the theater

"I Love You So Much Jesus" from Your Arms Too Short To Box With God - not s much sad but it caught me by surprised and left me shaking and sobbing big time. AND Patti LaBelle sang it in the show. I cried for a good 5 minutes after the song was over.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/24/16 at 02:13 AM

bwayandstuff
#51Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 8:07am

icecreambenjamin said: "100% the carousel finale.

The final scene in Cabaret 

"

^YES. I remember seeing a production of it with my mom and having that weird sick feeling in my stomach afterwards. We just sat there and looked at each other.

The Boston ending of Waitress made me cry like a baby. I thought it was much more emotional and effective than the current ending (but maybe it's just me!)

And, of course, basically all of Act 2 of The Bridges of Madison County. Ugh poor Francesca...

Updated On: 5/24/16 at 08:07 AM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#52Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 12:34pm

Cherry Jones climbing that long staircase at the end of "The Heiress."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 12:43pm

Ebersole singing Another Winter in a Summer Town

Victoria Clark in Piazza

The Letter (reprise) Billy Elliott

....but the world goes 'round

Sertzo19 Profile Photo
Sertzo19
#54Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 1:43pm

What's Next and How It Ends from Big Fish KILLED me when I saw the show. I got the cast album about a year or so after I saw the show and completely forgot how badly those songs hit me and when halfway through What's Next I just LOST it. Ugh so heartbreaking that it takes Edward's death for Will to begin to appreciate his father's stories. 

Agree with everyone who mentioned You Learn to Live Without. The lyrics are so heartbreaking and poignant and Idina performed the hell out of that song. 

Wicked Little Town in Hedwig isn't necessarily a "sad" song in the context of the show, but it breaks my heart every time I listen to it, just feeling how much Hedwig cares about Tommy and thinking about the fact that he's going to take her music and leave her out in the dust is so sad to me. 

I'll Cover You (Reprise) kills me too! 

Somewhere That's Green (Reprise) hearing Audrey describe the way Seymour will care for her once she becomes one with Audrey II always kills me. Was lucky enough to see Ellen in the Encores production with Jake Gyllenhaal and the raw emotion in her voice took it to another level. 

Days and Days from Fun Home is also devastating. I love Judy Kuhkn and she really gets to shine in that moment. That last line "I didn't raise you to give away your days...like me." HOW CAN YOU NOT IMPLODE?!?!? 

My Child Will Forgive Me from parade. Ugh leaves you feeling gutted. 

My Husband Makes Movies is a great little song as well. I just love how emotionally broken Luisa is during that song and how that contrasts with the interview she's giving at the same time. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#55Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:09pm

Almost the entire score of Fun Home is heartbreaking to me. Also, so much of the first act of The Color Purple was sad to watch...especially with Cynthia Erivo's performance at the heart of it.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:21pm

I loved Caroline or Change but the only major emotional moment for me was I Hate the Bus.  Anika's performance of that song was one of the single most powerful scenes I've witnessed in any musical.  I was a MESS.

I don't know if I'd call Being Alive "sad".  It's an emotional breakthrough, but it's not really sad.  It's revelatory.  Unless it gets barked.  Then it's sorta funny.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#57Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:24pm

Taye Diggs as Hedwig

@z5
#58Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 3:55pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned plays, but towards the end of Blackbird I was shaking, and even for a few mins after. 

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#59Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 4:36pm

No one has mentioned it but in the revival of Follies but when Rosalind Elias sang "One More Kiss" -- the audience may not have known who she was but at 82 she could hold the entire theater in your soaring operatic voice. You could literally hear a pin drop at the Kennedy Center when she hit the last note.  There was literally a beat or two and then the place erupted in applause.  I had tears streaming down my face. 

The other was the end of Marry Poppins. (Spoiler): I was in he first row of the balcony/mezzanine and when she goes flies away up into the ceiling of the theater, She came right by me and was waving and was saying "Goodbye Everyone, Goodbye" and I found myself sobbing waving goodbye back at her saying "Good Marry Poppins, I love you" right back to her like a little kid. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Queen of the Night
#60Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 5:53pm

"How could I ever know" from The Secret Garden. Seeing the emotional impact of death and loss from the viewpoint of the character who died as well as the one she left behind. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#61Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 6:07pm

The final 30 seconds of parade.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#62Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 8:00pm

The final minutes of The Bridges of Madison County, "The Soul of a Man" & "Hold Me In Your Heart" from Kinky Boots, last song from Fun Home, "I'm Here" from The Color Purple, "I Am What I Am" from La Cage Aux Folles, the final scenes of Sunset Boulevard and The Phantom of the Opera

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#63Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 10:13pm

Send in the Clowns (when done correctly), Being Alive (also, when done correctly), and No More (I've yet to see a version of this song that hasn't made me shed a tear).

Also, the final scene in Gypsy wrecks me in certain productions. When it's treated like a throwaway, happy go lucky kinda moment, it blows, but when they treat it as a moment where daughter becomes mother and mother becomes daughter, it's devastating. Certain performances of "Rose's Turn" and the scene where Herbie leaves have devastated me as well. It all depends on the performers and the direction. 

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#64Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/24/16 at 10:33pm

"Simple" sung by Anita Morris in "Nine"

breathyfemalevocal
#65Saddest Bway Performances
Posted: 5/25/16 at 12:41am

Many good sad moments in the theater have already been mentioned, but my saddest, being overwhelmed with sobs for over 15 minutes (through the ending and sitting, hugging strangers after final curtain) was the recent revival of Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart. So much of it is devastating, particularly because of it real and recent history, but the final scenes between John Benjamin Hickey and Joe Mantello, as Hickey's character is deteriorating and Mantello does all he can to care for and love him, that production and those words made it clear simultaneously how awful and how wonderful human kind can be, societally or one man to another. The kitchen fight scene of Ned screaming for Felix to fight to the end right through to the hospital bedside marriage and Felix's final breath. My heart exploded in the Golden Theatre that night and I cry ever ytime I think or talk about it, even now.

I will forever be thankful for that singular experience.