pixeltracker

The SpongeBob Musical previews in Chicago beginning June 7, 2016- Page 3

The SpongeBob Musical previews in Chicago beginning June 7, 2016

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#50The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:01am

still can't believe this is actually coming to Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#51The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:21am

I'm really hoping this extends to early August so I can see this. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Notreallysilent 2
#52The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 3:41pm

I'm just wondering about the voice Ethan uses. Is it bearable to hear throughout the show? At least for me watching one of the rehearsal clips and hearing the voice made me cringe. I don't know if that just goes for me.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#53The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 3:54pm

As someone who was not really familiar with Spongebob... and someone who found the clips of Ethan Slater's character voice absolutely revolting... I had no trouble with his voice during the show. It's well varied in tone and seems realistic for the character.

Jesus saves. I spend.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#54The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 3:56pm

I wasn't bothered by Ethan's voice. Seemed like he was paying tribute to the tv show rather than doing a mimick.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#55The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 3:58pm

How was the cohesiveness of the score? I know it was written by what, like a dozen pop/rock/country/hip-hop artists, right? Was Tom Kitt able to make it sound like a unified effort through his orchestrations, or does each song sound like it was the product of a different author?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Call_me_jorge
#56The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:02pm

Does every song writer for the show have a backup song? I can't imagine them getting rid of a song, because they would have to cancel the contract with that person, right?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

WhizzerMarvin
#57The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:05pm

I would assume if they were having an issue with a song or two they could ask that artist to tweak it/take it in another direction.  

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#58The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:13pm

What Broadway theatre do you think it will go to?

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#59The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:17pm

Half the songs fit very well together and feel like theater songs. There are reprises and themes that recur. The rest don't really fit that well but aren't problematic... and a few probably should go. 

The David Bowie song is from a completely different planet and is quite jarring... but it's a solid song with interesting staging. It should go, but it's not terrible where it is. 

The Sarah Barreilles song is cute and well written but part of an annoying subplot that is completely unnecessary to the show. 

Yolanda Adams wrote a nice song... but it doesn't build like a show stopper in a musical should. I hope they're able to structure it so it wows. 

The Aerosmith song is also part of a separate subplot that goes nowhere. The song is currently unintelligible and has some really lackluster staging. I hope it goes and with it its subplot. 

Quite a few of the songs are quite catchy. It's not a great, cohesive score... but there's been A LOT worse on Broadway. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#60The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:18pm

I think the songs worked well together for the most part. It's such a random show that the different song styles make sense. 

Call_me_jorge
#61The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:22pm

Alex M said: "What Broadway theatre do you think it will go to?

"

It would need a large space, maybe the Broadway if fiddler doesn't run much longer.

nasty_khakis
#62The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:22pm

I can't imagine the contracts with the writers wouldn't include a clause about reworking or being able to cut a song, but writer contracts aren't my forte.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#63The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:23pm

still can't believe this is actually coming to Broadway.

Why?  It's a new musical, so going to Broadway seems logical.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WhizzerMarvin
#64The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:32pm

Mister Matt, what did you think of the show? (I've been eagerly waiting for you to weigh in!)

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#65The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:50pm

I'm sorry for asking again, but since no one has answered yet, how long is the show currently?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#66The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 4:57pm

I'm dubious about it, but just because it seems like too many cooks. If Lil' Abner, no great masterpiece, can inspire a big musical, then long-time cross-generational darling SpongeBob certainly deserves its shot.

Call_me_jorge
#67The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 5:04pm

Keiichi2 said: "I'm sorry for asking again, but since no one has answered yet, how long is the show currently?

"

2 and a half hours.

Mister Matt
#68The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 5:14pm

I haven't had the time to detail my thoughts, but I think it's about halfway there.  It shows a lot of creativity and potential.  The biggest problem is the book.  It is overstuffed with ideas for the sake of including beloved characters and shoehorning songs by famous artists, but few of them serve the plot or exist organically to cohesively bind the show together.  There are subplots galore including Plankton's evil plot to sell fast food, a rock band, a telethon, and a Patrick-worshipping cult of...characters (still have no idea what they were supposed to be), most of which needs to be focused more sharply to adhere to the plot (like the Patrick conflict) or cut entirely (the rock band).  And there is recurring business with the pirate that tends to go on way too long (though the song, reminiscent of Peter and the Starcatcher second act opening, is delightful).

I actually like the concept and design of the sets and costumes (with the exception of the cheap-looking and unnecessary wig used for SpongeBob).  The lighting is mostly great other than a few scenes where the balance is off and as a result, rely too heavily on spots.

Kitt's work on the score is pretty good, but both act finales seem unfinished in scoring and vocal arrangements.  The Bowie song is so out of place and jarringly weird, I still don't know how I feel about it.  And other than three numbers (the chop song, the pirate song and the Squidward song), the choreography and musical staging need serious attention.  There was a black light number featuring the cast waving sponges around that does not work AT ALL.  When they form shapes, they are barely discernible and the rest of the time, they just look like people holding sponges.  It's too literal and contrived.

That being said, there is fun to be had.  The Chop number was an instant favorite and cleverly written and staged.  Gavin Lee pretty much runs away with it in Squidward's show stopping tap number (the costume is a riot).  And the entire cast is an absolute joy, especially the core four.

For a first preview, it was a surprisingly solid performance.  Just a couple of minor sound glitches.  I liked it better than the Addams Family tryout, and as I said, it can be delightful and it shows potential.  But in its current state, it's sort of Seussical meets Spider-Man 1.0 (and I saw both).  I hope they do the necessary work and shape it into something more cohesive and coherent.  And for the record, a bit too long.  From curtain time to the end of the bows, it clocked in at 2:45.

Updated On: 6/9/16 at 05:14 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#69The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 5:20pm

Thank you!!!

Who wrote The Chop Song? Did Kitt write any of the music or did he only orchestrate it? 

Mister Matt
#70The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 5:25pm

Kitt did not write any of the music.  The Chop song was by Lady Antebellum.

Updated On: 6/9/16 at 05:25 PM

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#71The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 5:52pm

Chop song and Squidwards song were my absolute favorites, and the Bowie song was..... interesting. It did seem kind of out there and not with the theme of the show, but maybe that was the point? Although the lead singer for it (the newscaster man) had such an amazing voice for it. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#72The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 6:52pm

What is the wig like that Spongebob wears?

RW3
#73The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:06pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered so forgive me, but can someone explain to me why the producers(?) decided to go the route of having multiple people write the music for it and not hire just one team of composer and lyricist?

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#74The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:18pm

Mister Matt, thanks for your more detailed thoughts.  I've been debating whether to see this while in town (I'm seeing War Paint), but based on what I've read in this thread, I'm going to pass.  Since I'm seeing War Paint early, I don't have anything against previews where they may need to work on the book/staging, but it doesn't seem like this show has any particular voice that would make sitting through the problems worth it to me.