pixeltracker

The SpongeBob Musical previews in Chicago beginning June 7, 2016- Page 4

The SpongeBob Musical previews in Chicago beginning June 7, 2016

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#75The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:52pm

Based on the praises on Gavin Lee as Squidward, it's really hilarious to think that Squidward might be a Tony winner. I actually found a blurry picture of his song on Instagram. Link on Spoilers sections:

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#76The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 8:25pm

Not sure if it'll work on stage or not, but a long running conceit of the show, even back when I was a kid, was having unexpected songwriters contributing songs to the TV show- even speed metal group Pantera chipped in. Given that SpongeBob inspired much of the random, memetic semi-stoner humor that has defined internet media culture, they may be trying to capture that "high profile special guest, anything can happen" vibe with this score.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#77The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:00pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered so forgive me, but can someone explain to me why the producers(?) decided to go the route of having multiple people write the music for it and not hire just one team of composer and lyricist?

I believe they said something along the lines of that SpongeBob is such a random and creative character, it wouldn't make sense to have it be limited to one songwriter 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#78The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:06pm

Here is what I posted in another thread regarding the preview presentation Q&A in Chicago:

In the preview talk, Landau explained that she got the concept of using different artists from listening to the soundtrack to the SpongeBob movie.  She loved the diversity of styles of music written and performed by a wide range of popular artists.  She was drawn to its current relevance as well as its spirit and cohesiveness.  She wanted to try and replicate that energy and vibrancy with the score of the musical.  She chose artists who were known to either be fans of SpongeBob personally or through their kids who were big fans.  Each artist was given specific information as to the book, characters, scene and setting for the songs they were to write and how they fit into the show.  The only previously existing material is an unreleased and unrecorded song by Bowie.  Landau knew it would fit well in the book and asked his permission to use the song and he enthusiastically gave his permission (Bowie was a big fan of SpongeBob and guest starred as the voice of Lord Royal Highness on the show).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#79The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 3:57pm

Can anyone explain/describe SpongeBob's wig?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#80The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 4:04pm

It's a blonde wig, sort of messy and spiky.  Looks like McCauley Caulkin with bed head.  I've seen the actor without the wig and the character doesn't need it.  His costume is sufficient.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
disneybroadwayfan22
#83The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 6:17pm

They look really good. Wish Squidward's pic could be more clear. Does anyone know if there are any audios up yet?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#84The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:39pm

The pictures make me a little less excited, honestly. I was hoping for a little more creativity with it. 

LightsOut90
#85The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:46pm

Anyone have any good discount codes, Tix4Students is $34 but there side Balcony, dont mind spending alittle more especially since im flying out to see it, the only other code i can find is the Patrick code but im seeing it later in the run.

Updated On: 6/10/16 at 09:46 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#86The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:50pm

They 25 dollar student rush for the orchestra and if you get there before the 19th you can use the promo code PATRICK on ticketmaster to get 49 dollar tickets.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

disneybroadwayfan22
#87The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 11:26pm

So, I found audio of the Spongebob Musical (CAN’T SHARE IT PER REQUEST. DON’T. ASK. ME) and so far, it’s f***ing adorable.

Is it necessary? Heck no! Should it be on Broadway? Eh. But, it’s super charming and I have a big smile on my face this whole time. It sounds like a great night to escape to. I'll post a review when I'm finished with it. 

Call_me_jorge
#88The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/10/16 at 11:38pm

I could see the Nederlander's pulling a Motown on on your feet so spongebob can have a theatre, but who knows. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#89The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:22am

I saw tonight's fourth preview. The production is in great shape, the cast is swell and Ethan Slater (Spongebob) is the MVP. If you took the first and last 45 minutes you'd have a 90 minute smash.

The trouble comes in the middle. The plot separates Spongebob from the town. The townsfolk get expendable subplots while Spongebob sings a string of interchangeable "Cheer up" songs on his quest. He's paired with Sandy who is written as "Generic Strong Female Character (TM)" The kids in the audience could tell. The little ones started screaming and the older ones started taking bathroom breaks or playing on their phones. It's only when the leads re-unite that their attention was recaptured. Cut the Seuss-ical filler.

Some spoilery thoughts:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Favorite songs: 

• (Just A) Simple Sponge by Panic! At The Disco - Spongebob's "I Want" power ballad.
  • (I Guess I) Miss You by John Legend - Patrick and Spongebob's surprisingly sweet bromance, reconciliation duet.
  • I'm Not a Loser by They Might Be Giants - Squidward's 11'o clock number. A cross between "Live Laugh Love" and "Show Off."

Expendable songs:

• The interchangable "cheer up" songs: BFF by Plaine White T's, Hero is my Middle Name by Cyndi Lauper, Chop to the Top by Lady Antebellum
  • Time filling subplot songs: "Daddy Knows Best by Alex Ebert, Poor Pirates by Sara Bareilles, Bikini Bottom Boogie by Aerosmith

Dirtiest jokes:

• Plankton and Karen sharing a clearly post-coital moment.
  • Patchy the Pirate's monologue about Bucanneer Booty. 

Most Gay friendly moments:

• Patrick and Spongebob's John Legend ballad, which could easily be the love duet in a different show.
  • Squidward quoting Gypsy and dancing with men in showgirl drag.

Most awkward moment:

• Curtis Holbrook continually tripping on his skates in his Aerosmith song. Make it a comic bit or get the poor man some sneakers.

Most Political moment:

• The police brutality / bigotry subplot and Spongebob's late show stand against it. "You're so afraid of the future that you're ruining now!"

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 6/11/16 at 12:22 AM

Call_me_jorge
#90The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:31am

I thought daddy knows best, was exceptional. Emmy Raver-Lampman really made the song for me.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#91The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:36am

Why does Squidward's number look like Loveland from the Follies revival?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

LightsOut90
#92The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:44am

people keep bringing up kids playing on their phones....ummm do the usher in Chicago just not bother doing their jobs? 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#93The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:59am

Interested in audios as well. Planning to see this as soon as I can. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#94The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 1:16am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "So, I found audio of the Spongebob Musical (CAN’T SHARE IT PER REQUEST. DON’T. ASK. ME) and so far, it’s f***ing adorable."

Why do you even bring it up if you can't share it. Share it or don't mention it.

Ugh this is only running through July 10th? I've finally been thinking about seeing it, but would rather do it when I see War Paint but i have tickets for that early August. Bummer.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 6/11/16 at 01:16 AM

disneybroadwayfan22
#95The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 7:05am

gypsy101 said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Why do you even bring it up if you can't share it. Share it or don't mention it."

Because I'm going to do a review of the show afterwards.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#96The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 8:09am

LightsOut90, I saw an usher try to do their job. A young lady pulled out her phone and started filming a number. He tried to stop her and was angrily reaching over people demanding she give him her phone. She refused, with a bitchy look on her face, and after a while he gave up. She was in the middle of the row so he couldn't have reached her without stepping over people. She didn't try to film again, but was so rude that I hope he grabbed her phone after the show. 

Sally Durant Plummer, I didn't notice the Loveland similarties till you mentioned them but the look is appropriate.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Squidward's number is a hallucination after a small breakdown, ala Ben's Live Laugh Love.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 6/11/16 at 08:09 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#97The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 8:29am

>Because I'm going to do a review of the show afterwards.<

You are going to review an audio bootleg? 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

disneybroadwayfan22
#98The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 8:30am

^From what I'm getting so far.

disneybroadwayfan22
#99The SpongeBob Musical opening in Chicago - June 7, 2016
Posted: 6/11/16 at 9:07am

So, here's what I got from the audio so far. I'm planning on seeing this when it reaches Broadway. Is it a masterpiece? Absolutely not. Does it deserve Broadway? Eh. But, this show is very very charming and likable. However, you do need to be a fan of the show or do your research to get what is going on.

The musical is so much like the TV show. The book adds Patchy the Pirate, karate, the French Narrator, the dolphin swearing censor etc. It also nails the character personalities, style, and humor. It does seem like a Spongebob special screenplay more than than a book of the musical. Like someone said, the book is like a binder of ideas and they're seeing what sticks to the wall and that's not bad for a pre-Broadway run. They have fixing to do. Patchy the Pirate needs to be reduced. I think he should stay because again, you have to watch the show to get it. But, he does overstay his welcome just a tiny bit with the beginning of Act 2. The Patrick cult needs to go. It goes no where and it is not developed at all. Spongebob and Patrick’s relationship needs to be strongly developed, along with the character of Mr. Krabs, I think the musical should focus on the concert for the musical theatre aspect and the volcano for a real plot service.

The music is mostly very good. “Bikini Bottom Day,” “BFF”, “A Simple Sponge,” “No Control”, “Chop to the Top”, and “I’m Not a Loser” are the highlights. I love that “Best Day Ever” was included. I'm super happy that the theme song was include in the bows. “Daddy Knows Best” is a hilarious song that nails Mr. Krabs, but the actor who’s Mr. Krabs and especially the actress who’s Pearl make it.  “Tomorrow Is” is a bit dramatic and doesn’t fit in. Patchy’s song at the top of Act 2 needs to be cut or shorten to be just him. The godawful Plankton rap, Patchy’s Song, the Patrick as the Savior song, and Bikini Bottom Boogie need to go.  

The acting sounds fine for the most part. I need to really watch the show to judge. Some of the actors did lose their voices sometimes and they need to be careful. A few standouts in a good way and a bad way: Lili Cooper is very cute as Sandy and has a great Texas accent. It sounds like she has the stamina for her. The actress who is Pearl is 100% spot-on with the character and she has an amazing, powerful voice. The weak links from what I’m getting are the actors who are Plankton and Mr. Krabs. Nick loses his Plankton voice for the majority of the show. It sounds like he is trying to channel Plankton with an evil accent, but it’s not enough. The guy who’s Mr. Krabs sounds a bit young for the character and needs a better impression of the character. However, the star here is Gavin Lee as Squidward, whom I think could be a very strong Tony contender, depending on the season. He has a strong presence. He sounds absolutely hilarious and nails the personality, wit, and sarcasm of Squidward. His song and his performance are absolutely fantastic and I can’t wait to see the tap dance. He needs to work on the voice. Sometimes, it’s spot-on like his laugh. Sometimes, it’s serviceable. Sometimes, he loses it altogether. Other than that, Lee is absolutely perfect.    

The SpongeBob Musical is off to a pretty good start, but they need a lot of work to do before hitting the Great White Way. I can’t wait to see it up close to see how the direction, movement, and costumes are like. That way, I can judge the show completely. In the meantime, it is better than I thought, but I do like what I’m hearing.  

Updated On: 6/11/16 at 09:07 AM