pixeltracker

MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END- Page 15

MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END

AnnieBlack
#350MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:34am

Jordan Catalano said: "But is it worse than RENT?

"

What made the RENT fans so crazy? I've heard that a couple of times this year and am generally curious

Liza's Headband
#351MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:48am

gypsy101 said: "I thought Liza was being sarcastic (although the comments are now deleted). It's not really "terrifying."

"

I was but it clearly didn't come across that way, hence my deletion. Not worth the headache I'll get from reading HAMILTON fanatics try to defend their use of it... 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#352MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:52am

ashk8177 said: "Someone using a nickname is "terrifying"? Interesting. "

And don't you EVER refer to Brian Stokes Mitchell as Stokes!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#353MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 9:51am

Anakela said: "Liza's Headband said: "If it's a personal nickname used by her friends and colleagues? Yes, scary and concerning (otherwise known as "terrifying). I haven't seen her call herself Pippa nor any media outlets call her that in corresponding articles, interviews, videos, etc. 

"

She's listed as Phillipa "Pippa" Soo on the Julliard website. Is that a professional enough reference for y'all?

http://www.juilliard.edu/journal/author/pippa-soo
"

Maybe Philippa Soo went to Julliard, but Phillipa Soo, Pippa or otherwise, definitely went to Juilliard.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#354MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 9:54am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "At least it's good for the OP to invest his/her time and energy in something he/she really likes. It's not stupid at all to have passion and go for what you want, regardless of the result. People value things differently, and a shiny sports car might mean a whole world to you while some do not give a fk at all. Not because they are super rich but they simply don't care about automobile. What they set their sights on is something else. What's wrong, then, for it to be a superbly written and performed Broadway show? My heart goes out to you, OP."

I don't think waiting outside for days for the chance of a cancellation ticket is passion or investment of time or energy at all.

Passion is volunteering, or creating, or working. This is sitting on a sidewalk in a line to wait in a line, governed by rules created by other people in the line, to buy a ticket to a Broadway show. It's a fad-driven act of privilege.

Frankly, I think being able to not have to work for days at a time so you can sit on a line is just as costly as paying whatever the tickets are going for on the second-hand market. And if you can't afford to take the time off to do this but do it anyway, well... maybe some priorities need to be reassessed.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#355MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 9:57am

This is my new favorite thread. I hope it runs as long as Hamilton.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#356MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:00am

Someday the OP will proudly be able to say, quoting Sondheim, "I stood on bread lines with the best."

MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END

Liza's Headband
#357MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:01am

Kad hit the nail on the head. Waiting in line for over four days is, in fact, privilege. There are many who cannot afford to take off work. 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#358MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:34am

AnnieBlack said:"What made the RENT fans so crazy? I've heard that a couple of times this year and am generally curious"

Rent fanatics a.k.a. "Rentheads" were some of the worst theater fanatics that I have encountered. These fanatics took the word fanatic to a whole other level with their obsessiveness. Some of them to the point of delusion. They were over-the-top obnoxious in their adoration. Some of them were truly territorial with it as if they had a hand in creating it, some appropriated the personalities of their favorite character(s), some were just out-and-out unhinged and using the show as a sense to belong to something, anything to be noticed or "hip" in the eyes of others.

It was all quite nauseating or laughable - - - depending on your perspective.

F.Y.I.: Notice I am referring to some and not all that were/are "Rentheads".

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 6/28/16 at 10:34 AM

AnnieBlack
#359MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:48pm

There is a great book waiting to be written about the rise of theatre obsessed folks since Rent! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#360MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:51pm

Some Rentheads even got so obsessed it gave them cancer.

godlessondheimite2
#361MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:24pm

If RENThead had social media, would they be worse than the Hamilfans? Is it possible to be worse than the Hamilfans?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#362MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:50pm

I mean, there were Rent message boards and LiveJournal groups back in the day that were quite rabid. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#363MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:07pm

Kad said: "Frankly, I think being able to not have to work for days at a time so you can sit on a line is just as costly as paying whatever the tickets are going for on the second-hand market. And if you can't afford to take the time off to do this but do it anyway, well... maybe some priorities need to be reassessed."

I think that's true for people who have great paying jobs out there. For those who are unemployed or in summer vacation who have the time, then waiting in line is an alternative way to pay face-value tickets.

aaaaaa15
#364MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:12pm

Well it's also true for people that have poorly paid jobs that can't afford second hand tickets, nor to line up for 4 nights and miss work.

LizzieCurry
#365MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:19pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "I mean, there were Rent message boards and LiveJournal groups back in the day that were quite rabid. "

RentSecrets was wonderful. Ha. (?)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#366MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:13pm

I loved Rent.  What are you saying, Rent fans loved too much? I don't really get it. Sorry for you.

LizzieCurry
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#368MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/29/16 at 9:47am

Wick3 said: "Kad said: "Frankly, I think being able to not have to work for days at a time so you can sit on a line is just as costly as paying whatever the tickets are going for on the second-hand market. And if you can't afford to take the time off to do this but do it anyway, well... maybe some priorities need to be reassessed."

I think that's true for people who have great paying jobs out there. For those who are unemployed or in summer vacation who have the time, then waiting in line is an alternative way to pay face-value tickets.
"

Both scenarios imply that you are able to go on comfortably without having an income for an extended period of time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#369MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/29/16 at 9:55am

"Is it possible to be worse than the Hamilfans?"

It would be difficult to conceive of it. And frightening!

UncleCharlie
#370MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:42pm

Kad said: "Wick3 said: "Kad said: "Frankly, I think being able to not have to work for days at a time so you can sit on a line is just as costly as paying whatever the tickets are going for on the second-hand market. And if you can't afford to take the time off to do this but do it anyway, well... maybe some priorities need to be reassessed."

"

Both scenarios imply that you are able to go on comfortably without having an income for an extended period of time.

In my experience, most people working a full time job, even in fairly low income jobs, earn 5-10 paid vacation days a year. If I'm planning to use 3-4 of the vacation days I've worked for and earned to do something that some might consider frivolous, even though it's important to me, I think it's really great that I can come here and get an informed judgment from some of you on whether my use of those vacation days makes me privileged cause I've worked hard my whole life and definitely wouldn't want to be perceived that way by anyone. I'm sure if the OP hadn't checked out of this thread 3 days and 200 posts ago, she would really appreciate knowing this service is available as well.

"

mailhandler777
#371MY HAMILTON CANCELLATION LINE EXPERIENCE AND HOW WE ALL GOT F***ED OVER IN THE END
Posted: 6/29/16 at 3:27pm

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 6/29/16 at 03:27 PM