pixeltracker

CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design - Page 2

CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design

defyingthenorm
#25CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 3:05pm

Natasha Katz's lighting is gorgeous and includes a lot of almost video-like projections on the deck.

I also thought the lighting was amazing and the floor projections we're really cool.  There's a projection designer listed in the playbill so I bet it wasn't all just plain lighting and was a lot of video projections.  Really cool usage!

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#26CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 3:28pm

Those photos are great but I do not understand how it worked... Did the seats and stage rotate? Where was the set and the four rows that rotated at pre show? I can't picture how it worked or where everything was at start of show. 

Pasdechat
#27CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 3:47pm

EvanK said: "Those photos are great but I do not understand how it worked... Did the seats and stage rotate? Where was the set and the four rows that rotated at pre show? I can't picture how it worked or where everything was at start of show. 

"

From how I remember it (more than 20 years ago), the rotation wasn't anywhere close to a full circle, more like maybe from 8 o'clock to 6 o'clock max (if that makes sense). Teheran set was therefore only slightly turned in to where it would be for the full show. I sat in front row left, in the block not directly at the aisle to the stage. Was just a little trick, but forgettable compared to the real show.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#28CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 4:08pm

ok, that last photo looking down, where you see colourful floor, that was a hard painted surface, from there inwards is what rotated, including the seats and stage, with the car trunk and tire (although now that i think about it i am not 100% sure the tire was included because of the mechanism that it travelled along once it went up into the air (from what I remember seeing under the stage) so the tire might have stayed put, all the side garbage stayed put as did the moon backdrop.

I just remember when i sat down all i could see was inside a trunk and thinking WTF

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#29CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 5:58pm

Here's a picture of the Original Broadway set model that I scanned that was mentioned earlier in this threadCATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design .  Unfortunately it was shot in black and white and it's difficult to see very much detail.  Also, the model obviously didn't contain a true representation of the theater seats.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#30CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 8:37pm

yes thats the same pic i was talking about, thanks for sharing.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 9:51pm

See, I think I might enjoy Cats with a little big of production value involved. I've only seen the tour and just didn't quite get the excitement of it. 

Did the seats rotate for the entire run? Was it always in that theater? Cool that they used an unconventional space. Too bad NYC doesn't have more spaces like that - given that the Tonys are only Broadway productions. Would be cool to see what they could do with the Armory or something. 

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#33CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:30pm

Justin, thanks so much for the explanation and pictures.  I find it slightly amusing people who complain about the new set being less immersive than the WInter Garden because everyone I know who saw the original London and the original New York felt the Winter Garden was disappointing as it lacked the intimacy of the London.  So I guess it's all about perspective.  As to why they used the revolve--like you said, basically because it was a cool gimmick and because that's how the theatre was designed when it was a TV studio so someone prob just said "We have this system here--why don't we just use it." 

Did the cast ever come out into the audience in any of the tours?  I'm gonna say no, but my memories of the touring productions I saw in 85 or so (I was 5) and then 90 or so are so vague.  I did see the inflatable set tour in an arena ten or so years later (the tickets were free--a family friend wanted me to take her young son who was dying to go--she was working).  I think he was six.  I found the tour, mostly due to the venue, disheartening but then at intermission I realized how much the kid was loving it anyway, and enjoyed it more after that.

EricMontreal22
#34CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:38pm

RippedMan said: "See, I think I might enjoy Cats with a little big of production value involved. I've only seen the tour and just didn't quite get the excitement of it. 

Did the seats rotate for the entire run? Was it always in that theater? Cool that they used an unconventional space. Too bad NYC doesn't have more spaces like that - given that the Tonys are only Broadway productions. Would be cool to see what they could do with the Armory or something. 

"

The original London run did stay in that theatre with the rotating seats for its full run.  (Incidentally the CATS theatre they built specifically for the show in Japan replicated it but with, Ibelieve, most of the seats on the revolve.  I've never been able to find out how long CATS ran there, but it was a very long time at any rate--a bit like the German theatre built specifically for Starlight Express which is still running). 

Random coincidence about The New London Theatre (as it was called).  Where it stood is where London's Winter Garden Theatre used to be. 

As Wiki says: " Designed by architect Paul Tvrtkovic and scenic designer Sean Kenny (Blitz!, Oliver!, Pickwick (musical)), modelled after the Walter Gropius Total-Theater, and seating 960 on 2 levels, the theatre's auditorium first opened with a television recording of Marlene Dietrich's one-woman show.[11] The theatre officially opened on 2 January 1973 with a production of The Unknown Soldier and His Wife starring Peter Ustinov. It then hosted Grease, starring Richard Gere as Danny. Beginning in 1977, the theatre was used as a television studio for several years and then returned to use as a theatre.[11] The theatre's biggest hit was the Andrew Lloyd Webber and Trevor Nunn musical Cats, choreographed by Gillian Lynne which premièred in the theatre on 11 May 1981. Closing in 2002, this production became the longest running musical in West End history. "

I believe there was some deal ALW made with the TV studio when he did an interview there and was taken with the venue.  I think many people are surprised too to find out that Cats in London played in a house with under 1000 seats--at the time it was important to Nunn and the others to not put it in a big venue.

EricMontreal22
#35CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:39pm

Islander_fan said: "It should also be noted that the original London production played at The New London Theatre. A theatre that has a thrust stage rather than a porcineum which the Winter Garden has. Therefor, adjustments had to be made. If you're looking for a recent visual comparison, take a look at War Horse when it was on Broadway vs the tour. 

"
Right--and War Horse played at the New London...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#36CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/23/16 at 1:15am

The original sounds so great. I can see why it was such a hit. And I'm sure I would have LOVED that. But all these watered-down post productions just seem to be missing that original spark. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#37CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/23/16 at 2:07am

The NAP represents John Napier, the set designer, and the number after it represent how many times the show has been mounted (ie London was 01, Broadway was 02, etc.)

I'm wondering if this is still the case with the revival.

I'm not sure if it is how many times the show has been mounted or how many times Napier has adapted his design.  Either way it is still the case in the revival.  Tyler Hanes talks about it in one of his recent Broadway.com vlogs and shows it.  It reads NAP 70.

Original Broadway license plate:

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#38CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/23/16 at 4:01am

This video from the recent Australian tour also shows the NAP 70 number plate, for what it's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2rg82vEHIk

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#41CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:22pm

RippedMan said: "See, I think I might enjoy Cats with a little big of production value involved. I've only seen the tour and just didn't quite get the excitement of it. 

"

There was also a German touring production that was in a large black tent, that was also more 'in the round' but no moving seats

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#42CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/23/16 at 8:31pm

I found this a few days ago online, I am guessing this was the Japan production, reminds me of the London one except for the clouds

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#43CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:09pm

Grizabella's trip to the Heaviside Layer at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1997.

https://youtu.be/BaGYwwSM7TI?t=141

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#44CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:27pm

These new pics and videos make me wish they had waited and put this 'revival' in Circle in the Square after Fun Home closed. Seems like a much better venue for the teams original vision.

broadwayguy2
#45CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:40pm

Except that Circle in the Square does not have the stage width for the choreography, or the seating capacity / backstage facility to handle a cast of more than 30, a band of more than a dozen, plus the necessary crew.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#46CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:51pm

These pictures remind me of just how exciting and fresh the show seemed in those very early days!  I saw it in 1981 in London and it made me choose the career I have now.  (And I don't work as a vet)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#47CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 1:00pm

Thanks for that video, I'm so glad they are using the London style wigs in the revival though. So not a fan of Deuteronomy's puffy wig

rangersrule132
#48CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 2:26pm

Thank you for posting that video, because I was so young I don't even remember that was how it happened. It is quite beautiful and unique for its time.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#49CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 2:46pm

For the life of me I don't recall onstage seating for the original Broadway production. I do remember being able to walk on the stage during intermission as Old Deuteronomy was sitting on stage the whole time.  Hoping someone has a picture with the onstage seats. :) Mind you I don't think I saw the show again after its first year on Broadway.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#50CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 4:14pm

that video was so touching, esp the one with Laurie Beechman singing Memory, for anyone that has had a sickly pet that died it was very touching, esp. the applause when she gets onto that ramp. had me tearing up at work. and to make matters worse, knowing that she dies a year later in real life, such a talent she was

this was the seating chart when cats was there (with the onstage seating at the top and the broken up section of the front orchestra

rangersrule132
#52CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 5:06pm

Updated On: 7/25/16 at 05:06 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design
Posted: 7/25/16 at 5:54pm

morosco said: "Grizabella's trip to the Heaviside Layer at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1997.

https://youtu.be/BaGYwwSM7TI?t=141

"

Does that lift work in the same way the lift in  worked?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 7/25/16 at 05:54 PM