pixeltracker

James Corden - general perceptions?- Page 2

James Corden - general perceptions?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#25James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 7:33am

brian1973 said: "It's really bizarre to a lot of us Brits that he's so popular in the US. He's widely disliked in the uk. Maybe it's the classic Americans just loving a British accent thing, but he's really just a fat guy who got very lucky, For a country with such brilliant comedy like Modern Family and Parks and Rec etc, I'm amazed anyone finds him funny.

Brian:  Your words kind of seem to confirm a point of view that I've read about (some) Brits and their opinions of successful countrymen.  In the past, I've read some comments (here and there) by some British celebrities/actors who mention that there are those in the British public who hate/dislike/ are jealous? of those who get famous here in the U.S.  When he started his U.S. show, I wasn't too keen on the show's concept/presentation.  It took me a while to get used to that and to him.  Ultimately, he comes across very well:  like a big ole witty, talented and charming teddy bear.  Here in the U.S., we embrace those artists who become successful and have a decent personality.  I can only speak of what I see.  Who knows what type of person he is off-camera?  But in the age of reality tv faux stars with a paucity of talent and dodgy manners, James Corden presents himself well on the small screen and in other formats.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#26James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 7:43am

Interesting. I had heard that he had been wildly popular in the UK originally and then became very not. I had assumed it was because fame had gone to his head and he became a jerk. Which is at odds with his public persona here which is very earnest and self-effacing. (So, I put it down to lessons learned while becoming a mature adult.)

As for hating the popular - it certainly happens here. Mostly to pretty women? Think about the public opinion on Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow, and perhaps now with Taylor Swift.

In any event, I find his puppy dog friendliness endearing and enjoy him a lot. (I've not seen him onstage yet)

Updated On: 7/23/16 at 07:43 AM

aaaaaa15
#27James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 11:48am

James co-created and co-wrote a TV show called Gavin and Stacey here that really was what got him in the public eye. It was very well received and he also played one of the main characters. Then once that ended he starred in a film called Lesbian Vampire Killers which went down about as well as you'd expect. I don't know if it would even be made these days. Then he hosted the Brit Awards a few times (British version of the Grammys) and was awkward, unfunny, made prison rape jokes, cut Adele off for the biggest speech of the night etc. So that's when he started to become disliked in the UK. It was before he was popular in the US.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#28James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 4:56pm

is that movie about killing vampires who are lesbians? or are the killers lesbians?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

VintageSnarker
#29James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 5:11pm

brian1973 said: "It's really bizarre to a lot of us Brits that he's so popular in the US. He's widely disliked in the uk. Maybe it's the classic Americans just loving a British accent thing, but he's really just a fat guy who got very lucky, For a country with such brilliant comedy like Modern Family and Parks and Rec etc, I'm amazed anyone finds him funny."

I watched some of his appearances on quiz shows a couple of years ago (as they were airing) and I didn't get the impression he was disliked. Of course, not watching British TV all the time I gather from an article or two that I missed some of the more unsavory things he might have said. On his show, I think he does well with the skits and games which is where Jimmy Fallon succeeds and someone like Stephen Colbert fails at getting internet traction. But watching the whole show, Corden's monologues aren't that great and his interviews can be a bit awkward. Honestly, I don't get the monologue. Most of the guys hosting late night shows now aren't stand ups. 

aaaaaa15
#30James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/23/16 at 5:24pm

gypsy101 said: "is that movie about killing vampires who are lesbians? or are the killers lesbians?

"

'The group arrives at their destination, only to learn that a curse rests over the village and that every female child turns into a lesbian vampire on her eighteenth birthday.'

brian1973
#31James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 2:35pm

My point of view is very much including what I know of his manner off stage/screen, I know people who have worked with him no he's not the jolly lovely person he portrays. I love celebrating success and talent....not the success of people I consider to have very little talent.

we are just more discerning in the uk on the whole. That you give any show no matter how dreadful a standing ovation is quite alien to us. Here you have to earn it.

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "brian1973 said: "It's really bizarre to a lot of us Brits that he's so popular in the US. He's widely disliked in the uk. Maybe it's the classic Americans just loving a British accent thing, but he's really just a fat guy who got very lucky, For a country with such brilliant comedy like Modern Family and Parks and Rec etc, I'm amazed anyone finds him funny.

Brian:  Your words kind of seem to confirm a point of view that I've read about (some) Brits and their opinions of successful countrymen.  In the past, I've read some comments (here and there) by some British celebrities/actors who mention that there are those in the British public who hate/dislike/ are jealous? of those who get famous here in the U.S.  When he started his U.S. show, I wasn't too keen on the show's concept/presentation.  It took me a while to get used to that and to him.  Ultimately, he comes across very well:  like a big ole witty, talented and charming teddy bear.  Here in the U.S., we embrace those artists who become successful and have a decent personality.  I can only speak of what I see.  Who knows what type of person he is off-camera?  But in the age of reality tv faux stars with a paucity of talent and dodgy manners, James Corden presents himself well on the small screen and in other formats.

"

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#32James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:08pm

"he's just a fat guy who got very lucky"...would his success be less offensive if he was thin?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

brian1973
#33James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:47pm

I'm not offended that he's successful. Just bemused. 

he only has a career because he is overweight. In the uk it enabled him to get roles and stand out in a way he wouldn't if he was slimmer. And I don't have an issue with anyone of any size succeeding -if they are talented. He ain't in my opinion.

gypsy101 said: ""he's just a fat guy who got very lucky"...would his success be less offensive if he was thin?

"

Mediamaven2
#34James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:56pm

Tag said: "I think it's just the American sensibility.  Remember as Legally Blonde so wisely taught us, Gay or European?

"LOL at this comment! I need to remember that. Great quote from the movie.

undercoveractor2
#35James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 6:37pm

What a deliciously snide and condescending comment....lol.

'we are just more discerning in the uk on the whole. That you give any show no matter how dreadful a standing ovation is quite alien to us. Here you have to earn it.'

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 7:05pm

yeah those British seem to be very uppity.

Updated On: 7/24/16 at 07:05 PM

aaaaaa15
#37James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 7:07pm

Hope I'm not included in that! I've seen many people stand for trash in the UK too.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#38James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 7:55pm

No not you aaaaa15! I meant more these ones who seem very jealous and petty regarding James Corden

hork Profile Photo
hork
#39James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:13pm

brian1973 said:
we are just more discerning in the uk on the whole. That you give any show no matter how dreadful a standing ovation is quite alien to us. Here you have to earn it.

You can't be that discerning if you think Modern Family and Parks and Recreation are brilliant. James Corden - general perceptions?

But I have noticed that Brits tend to prefer American comedy to their own, while Americans love British comedy, so that's part of the reason for Corden's popularity. Maybe we should just switch countries.

Sunny11
#40James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:23pm

It's interesting to compare the British and American reviews of the  just released Ab Fab movie. It seems to be better recieved in its home country. Maybe all the political turmoil there in the past month put the British people in need of some nostalgic comedy. Some Yanks didn't seem to get the brawdy sense of humour though.  

Updated On: 7/24/16 at 08:23 PM

aaaaaa15
#41James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:23pm

I'm not sure that's true actually. I definitely prefer American TV, but the amount of times I've heard from people I know, 'Americans just don't get our sense of humor, they don't get sarcasm' etc. is ridiculous. I think they actually believe it too. Maybe you're all onto something with Brits being uppity.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#42James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:40pm

undercoveractor2 said: "What a deliciously snide and condescending comment....lol.

'we are just more discerning in the uk on the whole. That you give any show no matter how dreadful a standing ovation is quite alien to us. Here you have to earn it.'

"

ANd utter BS.  I'm Canadian but have lived in London (and not lived in the US but certainly most of our pop culture is American) and the popular UK taste, their obsession over reality stars and c-level celebrities, etc, is by no means discerning.  You're right about the standing O thing though :P

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:00pm

brian1973 said: "It's really bizarre to a lot of us Brits that he's so popular in the US. He's widely disliked in the uk. Maybe it's the classic Americans just loving a British accent thing, but he's really just a fat guy who got very lucky, For a country with such brilliant comedy like Modern Family and Parks and Rec etc, I'm amazed anyone finds him funny.

"Is he *so* popular?  He has the late late talk show CBS slot and I believe comes in dead last in the late night talk show ratings.  It's not like he's a household name.

Mediamaven2
#44James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:02pm

In my observation (having lived there a short time working for Brit company) the Brits are not more UPpity, they are just more UPtight. More "reserved" as many say, or as I call it,  more cold.

Of COURSE americans would be - and are -- more effusive in showering praise. We do this. Brits don't, generally. They self deprecate.  They get embarrassed by too much achievement and accolades.  Anyway.... I'm done. Don't mean to offend in my generalizations.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#45James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:30pm

undercoveractor2 said: "What a deliciously snide and condescending comment....lol.

"

Sorry. If you were so discerning, you'd have more decent musicals on the West End that aren't hen party jukebox embarrassments or transfers from Broadway. Yes, I agree that the automatic standing o is irritating (and less common for plays) and that most in the US are not very discerning of the regional and class differences in English "accents." But claiming some sort of cultural superiority is absurd. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#46James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:54pm

brian1973 said: "he only has a career because he is overweight. In the uk it enabled him to get roles and stand out in a way he wouldn't if he was slimmer."

You're ****ing kidding me, right?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

aaaaaa15
#47James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 11:32pm

MarkBearSF said: "Sorry. If you were so discerning, you'd have more decent musicals on the West End that aren't hen party jukebox embarrassments or transfers from Broadway."

Exactly right.

Chefcorvette Profile Photo
Chefcorvette
#48James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/25/16 at 5:05pm

I love JC, but I have noticed a noticeable propensity to goosh over handsome males(in an innuendo fashion) repeatedly, even to the same guy within minutes. 

Just last week, he while relieving a LensCrafters employee, he went crazy over this good looking guy manager and his hair (really overdoing it many times) also kissed a guy customer during the same episode. 

That same week he was so effusive over Chris Pine(and has been on prior occasions)that he deserves an Emmy for to add to his Tony award. 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#49James Corden - general perceptions?
Posted: 7/25/16 at 8:28pm

I am glad he's not gay, I find him a "tad" obnoxious.