pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?- Page 2

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 1:37am

Yeah. The passionate 5% aren't the ones buying the tickets. I don't think it will play for 10 years cause what plays have? But it will work. And I love Tiffany as a director. 

10086sunset
#26Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 1:39am

It's going to print money.

aaaaaa15
#27Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 1:39am

Absolutely, I'm sure Tiffany's direction is great. I would say passionate Harry Potter fans are quite a large proportion of who are buying tickets for this show though. Casual fans would probably just read the script and wait for the inevitable movie/cinema screening of the play.

I guess I'm on my own in thinking that whilst this show will be a success on Broadway, I don't think it will be the 'sold out 18 months in advance, have to online queue for 4 hours before getting the chance to buy a ticket' success it was when tickets went on sale in the UK. I stand by that though. Updated On: 7/24/16 at 01:39 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
lilitalybabe09
#29Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:15am

I'm visiting in London right now and I saw the show a few nights ago. As a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I loved everything about the show including the plot. It will for sure be a huge hit on Broadway. It's Harry Potter. It doesn't matter if the show was terrible, people are going to flock to see it. 

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#30Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 10:57am

All of the tickets released for this on Broadway will sell out the day they are put on sale.  There's no way that won't happen and the re-sale prices will be much more expensive then they are in London. I've seen it too, and I agree it's astonishing.  

brian1973
#31Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 2:37pm

It's a truly wonderful show...and I hope it goes to Broadway so you can all enjoy it too...Hamiltonmania will be old news when this arrives.

aaaaaa15
#32Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/24/16 at 2:56pm

But the buzz of the Harry Potter play in the UK is nothing compared to the buzz of Hamilton in the US. Surely Brits can agree with me on that? The only time there was a lot of buzz was when tickets went on sale. I don't think HP will take anything away from Hamilton. It's not a musical, it's selling off its name rather than its quality etc.

Updated On: 7/24/16 at 02:56 PM

Fosse76
#33Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 2:59pm

aaaaaa15 said: "But the buzz of the Harry Potter play in the UK is nothing compared to the buzz of Hamilton in the US. Surely Brits can agree with me on that? The only time there was a lot of buzz was when tickets went on sale. I don't think HP will take anything away from Hamilton. It's not a musical, it's selling off its name rather than its quality etc."

Harry Potter doesn't need the hype, especially in light of the reviews it received. The name itself is all the hype that's needed. Also, unlike Hamilton, they release tickets weekly, negating the necessity of lining up for days to get last minute seats. You come across as someone who is projecting their opinion onto the fan base and hoping the show fails. It will sell-out just as quickly here as it did in the U.S.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#34Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:08pm

has it sold out in the US?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:11pm

Well, it just received rave reviews, so it's not just selling on name alone anymore.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

aaaaaa15
#37Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:27pm

Kad said: "Well, it just received rave reviews, so it's not just selling on name alone anymore.

"

True, but it wont be selling on those reviews until the next ticket block go on sale, as there's none left to buy.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:34pm

Shortage creates demand.

The only thing that may temper its box office in the States, whenever it transfers, is the fact that, unlike Hamilton, everyone will need to buy two tickets.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

aaaaaa15
#39Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:35pm

Yes the prices are quite reasonable here for the two-parter but I can't imagine they wont increase on Broadway.

Caspian2
#40Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:51pm

This is a really good review from Charlie Prince at that politics site heat street: 

https://heatst.com/entertainment/review-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-is-fan-fiction-masquerading-as-theater/

And this is another great review from billington at guardian who is as hot as day he started:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/jul/26/harry-potter-cursed-child-review-palace-theatre-london

thomaspaine
#41Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 5:30pm

I am a total Potterhead (have been to the Wizarding World in Orlando several times, read all the books and seen the films multiple times, own a full set of Ravenclaw regalia including robes, etc etc etc) and I LOVED the show. I felt like a little kid again watching them do that stagecraft, which was just impeccable. Even intellectually understanding how they did certain tricks, it felt completely like magic. People were gasping and clapping the whole way through.

It will be bigger than Hamilton fever, there's no question. Hamilton was sold out, sure, but it was still possible to get a ticket various ways throughout the fall--the hype ramped up over time. Also the stage door was not crazy early on at all. When I went, the stage door was already super crowded and there is absolutely no way to get tickets other than the Friday Forty.

I would recommend buying your tickets the second it goes on sale. That's what I did back in October to get the London ones.

As for the theater, I'm not sure which would be a good fit. Maybe the Lyceum? The stage at the Palace is fairly narrow, but deep. I think the most important thing they want is an ornate and elaborate theater; the Palace looks like it could be Hogwarts.

Updated On: 7/26/16 at 05:30 PM

aaaaaa15
#42Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 6:13pm

Please don't give me hope that Jamie Parker will one day be as big of a star as Lin-Manuel Miranda cos realistically it aint gonna happen Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#43Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 6:19pm

lol @ "It will be bigger than Hamilton fever, there's no question."...i think there's actually a big question.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#44Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 6:28pm

I wouldn't be so sure either. It's much harder to spread the fever without a cast album. Maybe once it gets a cinema screening.

Updated On: 7/26/16 at 06:28 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#45Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 6:32pm

Must everything be equated in terms of how it relates to Hamilton? It's not a success unless it's a Hamilton-sized success?  It's suffocating.  Let shows just be hits in their own right. Clearly, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will continue to make a mint in London and wherever it goes from there. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

aaaaaa15
#46Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 6:44pm

Agreed. They're not comparable anyway except for in ticket sales. Two completely different products - one based on a name that's been huge for a decade, the other that has made its name for itself. I think Harry Potter vs. Frozen will be the more interesting debate. Both already names, both aiming for a young audience, both coming in the same season (right?)

Notreallysilent 2
#47Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 7:27pm

I do agree about the comparison between frozen and Harry Potter because they are both running on the name, but I do think they hit different audiences. Frozen I feel will be more of a family/tourist show like the lion king, but I think Harry Potter will be for Harry Potter fans (that obviously includes young people, but i still think that they are kinda different).  The comparison between them will definitely be interesting though. I wonder what the Tonys that year will look like. At least they will be nominayed for different categories though. 

Updated On: 7/26/16 at 07:27 PM

Jonwo
#48Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 7:34pm

aaaaaa15 said: "I wouldn't be so sure either. It's much harder to spread the fever without a cast album. Maybe once it gets a cinema screening.

I imagine there won't be a cinema screening because I would think the screen rights to any Potter material is Warner Bros and while they're not involved directly in the play, I assume they invested in it and recently they trademarked the title for a potential film adaptation so clearly they plan to make this a film within the next decade after the Fantastic Beasts trilogy. Saying that, I wouldn't rule it out entirely

rodrigo_ca
#49Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 3:51am

Oh cut it already!

Warner Bros. is not only the owner of Harry Potter screen rights but EVERY Harry Potter right that there is except theatrical and publishing rights.

They DIDN'T NOT trademarked the title for a potential film, they are just saving THEIR propriety as it can make billions of dollars in play merchandising and they don't want no one releasing "cursed child" dolls innocently.

I bet you they're making just as much money as the other big guys with this.

And while I don't doubt they will be making a movie version (Les Mis time-style), they definitly will not be making it after Fantastic Beasts (2020? pffffffffffff)