pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?- Page 3

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#50Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:30am

Be wary.

The Charlie Prince review posted by caspian2 contains major plot spoilers. The top critics have been more respectful of audience members. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 7/27/16 at 10:30 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#51Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:40am

rodrigo_ca said: "DIDN'T NOT "

That's a double negative

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#52Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:59am

So if anyone is planning to see the play when it comes to the States, should we not read the book when it comes out? Assuming we want to go in fresh and not spoiled.

broadwayguy91
#53Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:08am

macnyc said: "So if anyone is planning to see the play when it comes to the States, should we not read the book when it comes out? Assuming we want to go in fresh and not spoiled.

"

I think you basically answered your own question.. LOL

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:12am

Lol yeah.... Good question 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#55Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:14am

My daughter is a huge Potterhead, and I'm wondering how to advise her. I know all the theater special effects will be new to those who have read the script. But it's not like reading a book and then seeing the movie adaptation. This is the actual script that people are reading.

broadwayguy91
#56Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:31am

macnyc said: "My daughter is a huge Potterhead, and I'm wondering how to advise her. I know all the theater special effects will be new to those who have read the script. But it's not like reading a book and then seeing the movie adaptation. This is the actual script that people are reading.

"

perhaps reading a general plot overview is better then. and if your daughter is a huge Potterhead, I think she wouild surely get into the flow of the story easily when you go and watch the play. I read some of the spoilers on theatreboard.co.uk and someone wrote that in Part 1, they sort of "set the story" to bridge  a connection between the original novels and the new plot of the play. so I really don't think it's necessary to spoil the plot by reading the script..

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 11:31 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#57Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:42am

If this plays in Toronto first before Broadway, there isn't a theatre available until at least May 2017, or even later in the summer.  Meaning a Broadway run wouldn't be until later in the year, if at all in 2017.

aaaaaa15
#58Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 12:03pm

I thought the plan was the 2017/2018 season anyway.

Notreallysilent 2
#59Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 1:38pm

Yeah I imagine a 2018 opening mkes the most sense pr maybe a November/December 2017 opening to make it before the holidays. But that is the plan 2017/2018 season 

thomaspaine
#60Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 2:12pm

I was responding to the curiosity of some of the posts about whether this play is going to be sold out/a big hit when it comes to New York. So yes, I think it must be compared to Hamilton, the current biggest sold-out Broadway hit, in that regard. I'm hardly going to be comparing its possible success metric to American Psycho or Tuck Everlasting.

London is a smaller market for all things culture related: books, music, theater. If it's this much of a hit in London, it will also be a hit here, and American fans are if anything more rabid about Harry Potter. I won't be sleeping on tickets to the NYC production.

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 02:12 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#61Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 2:58pm

rodrigo_ca said: "They DIDN'T NOT trademarked the title for a potential film, they are just saving THEIR propriety as it can make billions of dollars...And while I don't doubt they will be making a movie version (Les Mis time-style), they definitly will not be making it after Fantastic Beasts (2020? pffffffffffff)"

wait...huh? did they trademark the title or not?

when you say Les Mis time-style, don't you mean that it took over 25 years to make that musical a film? wouldn't that definitely be after Fantastic Beasts?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#62Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 6:34pm

thomaspaine said: "I was responding to the curiosity of some of the posts about whether this play is going to be sold out/a big hit when it comes to New York. So yes, I think it must be compared to Hamilton, the current biggest sold-out Broadway hit, in that regard. I'm hardly going to be comparing its possible success metric to American Psycho or Tuck Everlasting.

London is a smaller market for all things culture related: books, music, theater. If it's this much of a hit in London, it will also be a hit here, and American fans are if anything more rabid about Harry Potter. I won't be sleeping on tickets to the NYC production."

Yes but you were comparing things like the immediate ticket availability when they first went on sale and the stage door in the first 6 months. Hamilton is its own product that has had to build its name from the theatre production, Harry Potter is a theatre production that already has a mass of hype behind it. There was never any question that a Harry Potter play - backed by JK Rowling - would have people buying tickets at the first opportunity. There was of course a question whether people would be doing the same for a hip-hop musical about the guy on the $10 bill. As someone that is living in the UK, whilst there is hype for the people that are seeing the play, there is not hype outside of it. No-one is referencing this play on TV shows etc. As I've stated, maybe that will change but I'm telling you the hype for Hamilton in America is definitely bigger than the hype for the HP play here. That's not to put down the HP play, it's not surprising considering there is no cast album for people that can't afford tickets to connect to etc. Also, American fans are not more rabid about Harry Potter. The whole thing was created by a British person. They may be AS rabid, but more? No.

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 06:34 PM

Fosse76
#63Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:17pm

aaaaaa15, you are being absolutely ridiculous, and are really showing you have no idea what you are talking about.

1. The first day of ticket sales for Cursed Child saw 175,000 tickets sold, which included sales from a second block of tickets that went on sale the same day because the initial block sold out in just a few hours.

2. Tickets for Cursed Child were being sold by scalpers for as high as £3,000, after which the producers stated that re-sales are prohibited and they will not admit ticketholders with scalped tickets (not sure how this is enforced). 

3. The two examples above parallel Hamilton almost exactly, except the producers aren't prohibiting re-sales.

4. Much of Hamilton's hype comes from the obscene secondary market ticket prices and inability to obtain affordable tickets. People are constantly talking about the difficulty to get affordable tickets, therefore it's not surprising that it has infiltrated tv shows, chat boards, and news articles. 

5. As a musical, Hamilton is able to market itself in a more "flashy" manner by performing musical numbers on all manner of talk shows; and Miranda's whoring with Ham4Ham at the lottery was a textbook marketing gimmick. As a play, Cursed Child cannot create that type of publicity; therefore it's hype is much more muted. Also, the fans and most critics have been respectful to not "spoil" the play, so that contributes to the more muted hype as well.

6. Hamilton is/was an unknown entity, so people were talking about it ad nauseam. When a show like this comes around, it becomes almost a status symbol. People know what Harry Potter is, so they all ready know they need to get tickets to see it. 

7. Hamilton's hype is the product of its time; A Chorus Line, Phantom of the Opera, Rent and Wicked were just as big when they opened. The world wasn't as "big", but the hype was. Do a search for Wicked on this board and it's nothing but thread-after-thread on Wicked.

I'm really not understanding what your complaint is, or why, for that matter, you even care. Cursed Child is a sold-out hit in London and received rave reviews. It will be a sold-out smash hit here as well. And contrary to your opinion, the fans are loving it. I imagine the hype here will approach Hamilton levels when the producers don't prohibit scalping and the secondary ticket market prices explode. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#64Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:26pm

Fosse76 said: "As a musical, Hamilton is able to market itself in a more "flashy" manner by performing musical numbers on all manner of talk shows"

lol Hamilton did not perform on any talk shows, what are you talking about

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#65Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:31pm

^while they didn't perform, they did have countless of interviews and news segments on it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

aaaaaa15
#66Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:58pm

Fosse76 said: "aaaaaa15, you are being absolutely ridiculous, and are really showing you have no idea what you are talking about.

1. The first day of ticket sales for Cursed Child saw 175,000 tickets sold, which included sales from a second block of tickets that went on sale the same day because the initial block sold out in just a few hours.

2. Tickets for Cursed Child were being sold by scalpers for as high as £3,000, after which the producers stated that re-sales are prohibited and they will not admit ticketholders with scalped tickets (not sure how this is enforced). 

3. The two examples above parallel Hamilton almost exactly, except the producers aren't prohibiting re-sales.

4. Much of Hamilton's hype comes from the obscene secondary market ticket prices and inability to obtain affordable tickets. People are constantly talking about the difficulty to get affordable tickets, therefore it's not surprising that it has infiltrated tv shows, chat boards, and news articles. 

5. As a musical, Hamilton is able to market itself in a more "flashy" manner by performing musical numbers on all manner of talk shows; and Miranda's whoring with Ham4Ham at the lottery was a textbook marketing gimmick. As a play, Cursed Child cannot create that type of publicity; therefore it's hype is much more muted. Also, the fans and most critics have been respectful to not "spoil" the play, so that contributes to the more muted hype as well.

6. Hamilton is/was an unknown entity, so people were talking about it ad nauseam. When a show like this comes around, it becomes almost a status symbol. People know what Harry Potter is, so they all ready know they need to get tickets to see it. 

7. Hamilton's hype is the product of its time; A Chorus Line, Phantom of the Opera, Rent and Wicked were just as big when they opened. The world wasn't as "big", but the hype was. Do a search for Wicked on this board and it's nothing but thread-after-thread on Wicked.

I'm really not understanding what your complaint is, or why, for that matter, you even care. Cursed Child is a sold-out hit in London and received rave reviews. It will be a sold-out smash hit here as well. And contrary to your opinion, the fans are loving it. I imagine the hype here will approach Hamilton levels when the producers don't prohibit scalping and the secondary ticket market prices explode. 

1-3: I never disputed any of that. I have said that HP sales are obviously great and that it is the one way in which it can be compared to Hamilton.

4: That may be so, but people could be talking on TV shows about how it's impossible to get Harry Potter tickets and they aren't - even though it is.

5-6: That's...exactly my point. You cannot compare Hamilton to Harry Potter because one is a musical and has the ability to infiltrate homes in a way that this play does not. Not once have I said Harry Potter has less hype because it is less deserving, I've said it has less hype because there is no cast album, no Grammys performance, no Tonys performance etc.

7: I am completely aware? When have I ever said Hamilton is the only show to ever have that amount of hype?

I do not have any complaint. I just pointed out the inaccuracies in comparing this play to Hamilton and whilst yes it may have a busier stage door at this point than Hamilton did in its first few months, there are other things that you can compare that make HP seem less hyped. I have literally said in this thread that the fans that have seen it are enjoying it so please tell me where I didn't. The ONLY thing I have said is that some fans that have heard the plot are not happy about it and likewise most people that have seen the show have expressed that it wont be received as well in script format. Also, most of the reviews expressed that the plot is the weakest aspect, but the theatrical experience makes up for it. Please read my posts properly before you call me ridiculous in the future. It is actually you that is ridiculous by trying to argue with me by throwing my own points back at me. Updated On: 7/27/16 at 08:58 PM

aaaaaa15
#68Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 3:04pm

Ha. Didn't say that at all. Once again not reading my posts!

Also, you do realize most people that have pre-ordered that script have no idea what happens in it? I wont be responding again unless you actually bother to respond to what I'm really saying rather than acting like I'm just screaming about how the play is awful and no-one likes Harry Potter.

Updated On: 7/29/16 at 03:04 PM

Fosse76
#69Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 5:04pm

These are just some of your posts (from the first page of this thread where you explicitly say the fans are hating this; it doesn't have much buzz, or that it probably won't be a big success on Broadway because the script is being released. And by the way, there's plenty of buzz. The show is sold out; even the 40 for 40 sells out within an hour each week, and they keep extending due to huge demand. The books didn't stop people from seeing the movie, so I don't know why you think the published script will keep people from seeing the play. You have an agenda. I don't know what it is, but it's there. Maybe you're a Hamilton scalper who spent all their money on tickets and are now afraid Harry Potter will reduce the demand for Hamilton re-sale tickets dramatically when it opens on Broadway.

"I'm wondering about this play. From what I hear, it's visually fantastic with excellent performances etc. but the actual plot has upset/disappointed a lot of the big Harry Potter fans. I'm wondering if it will be as big of a success on Broadway when the script will have been out for a long time etc."

"It is in previews but I believe it opens in a week. The thing is most people seeing the show that aren't huge fans but maybe have seen the films etc. don't seem to have an issue with the plot, but the big fans of the books etc. absolutely hate it. So I'm just thinking if the script comes out and there's backlash (from those big fans that either haven't seen the show yet or haven't read the spoilers) it might effect the future success of the show. Would they rewrite if they've already released a script of the former plot?"

"I'm not saying it definitely wont be a success, it has a good chance of being, I'm just speculating. We'll see."

"Although it has sold an incredible amount of tickets in the UK, I don't feel like there's comparatively much buzz about it here in either the theatre community or in our popular culture."

Princeton2
#70Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 5:13pm

aaaaaa is right, there isnt that much hype.over here for the Harry Potter play. Yes the show is sold out and yes the play script will be a big seller, but its not some sort of cultural phenomenon like Hamilton. Its just an extension of what we've had for over a decade. Harry Potter sells and this is just the latest in a long line of harry potter 

Aside from the reviews you dont see article after article on it and its not had much, if any, real tv exposure. Its just quietly getting on with entertaining audiences night after night.

If the reviews and word of mouth had been bad then maybe its future would be in some doubt but as it is it will run for years

aaaaaa15
#71Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 5:41pm

I don't have an agenda at all. I assure you I have no Hamilton tickets currently in my possession. I live in the UK where you can't resell tickets on US Ticketmaster or StubHub anyway so I couldn't even if I wanted to. If you want me to provide more proof of people being upset over the plot than the Reddit link I have already provided, I will. The books plots were generally well received, so it's not surprising that people would still want to see the films. I never said it wont be a success on Broadway, I said I wondered if it would be AS big of a success (hence, acknowledging that it is a huge financial success in London). It is all just speculation and as you so kindly quoted me as saying, it does have a good chance of being very successful on Broadway too. I stand by saying there isn't much buzz (beyond the amount of tickets sold). Thanks Princeton2 for backing me up on that. Once again, I'm not saying it's the fault of the show. It's very difficult for plays to have the buzz that musicals get. I have said nice words on the performances, effects and overall experience of this play. Jamie Parker is probably my favorite male stage actor so I'm obviously glad it's doing well for his sake. The ONLY thing I have commented on is the plot. It's not even a personal qualm, I'm just going off what I've read other people say. I didn't realize that only 100% positive comments were allowed to be made about this play. I wont mess with the Harry Potter fanatics again!
Updated On: 7/29/16 at 05:41 PM

thomaspaine
#72Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 10:20pm

The only reason the hype isn't as high as Hamilton in its heyday (it's already hit the peak -- resale market has plummeted, cancellation line is approaching normalcy, etc) is because of how respectful people have been about #keepthesecrets. I've wanted to talk about it non stop since seeing it a few weeks ago. Once the script comes out (much like when the album came out for Hamilton), it will hit the mainstream in a huge, huge way. And the cast won't need to do all the talk shows to get the hype snowballing (not that I fault LMM for doing this at all, he built the acclaim in a really smart way). the next block of 250,000 (!!) tickets from May 2017 to December 2017 goes on sale August 4th and I would be shocked if those didn't instantly sell out as well as the first block.

Updated On: 7/29/16 at 10:20 PM

aaaaaa15
#73Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 10:35pm

I'm sure the tickets will sell out but I disagree that the hype will reach those levels. The script they're releasing isn't even the final version - it's from the rehearsal process - so it wouldn't surprise me if they will still encourage people to keep the secrets. We will see! Updated On: 7/29/16 at 10:35 PM

thomaspaine
#74Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 7/29/16 at 10:44pm

I mean, I definitely don't think presidential nominees will be quoting Cursed Child the way they're quoting Hamilton, but that's the power of music, like was said above.