pixeltracker

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!- Page 5

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#100Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/7/16 at 12:53am

It depends what kind of show they want. I think Aladdin is kind of awful. It looks cheap. It's directed very blandly. But, it sells out. Do they want to make Frozen a mainstream, broad, bland show? Or do they want to try for something else? 

vampire musical
#101Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:14pm

For what it is worth, Taymor did direct Disney's most successful show, and the most financially successful show on Broadway for that matter.  Spiderman was a fiasco but that's because it didn't have a strong producer (original guy died and lawyers took over) AND she was working with a new story line of a classic character.  Taymor is truly inspired when she is given a clear cut story that she must follow.  But she flounders when given a story she needs to help create (Spiderman, that weird Frida movie, Across the Universe). 

rodrigo_ca
#102Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:24pm

My guess is that Disney is trying to make DCA Frozen bigger, and that's it. They don't see that the audiences secretly want a new take on the show and not a staging of the movie.

Probably Alex Timbers was innovating too much and Disney didn't like it.

My hopes for a cut Olaf is shattered.

Liza's Headband
#103Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 9:12am

"a cut Olaf"? What does that even mean? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#104Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 9:23am

Liza's Headband said: ""a cut Olaf"? What does that even mean? 

"

As in Olaf is cut from the show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JennH
#105Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 9:39am

Liza's Headband said: ""a cut Olaf"? What does that even mean? 

"

He's means that he was hoping the character would be cut from the show entirely. Which frankly That could happen and to rewrite to fit the changes is COMPLETELY doable. Even cutting him without rewriting still could work in terms of the existing plot because he doesn't do anything to forward the plot itself, him AND his song are very stagnant sitting pieces of symbolism. Symbolism and metaphors are great starting points, but that's all Frozen seems to be on the whole, no truly forward moving plot where the characters learn and grow, therefore WE do. But even then, as stagnant sitting as he is, he's always been too large of a character to cut. It's not like he's a minor character that can be cut without being missed like the horse in B and B. I mean missed as in "it's noticeable he's not there" not "aawwww, I miss him". 

Frankly I'm also scared of it being just a larger scale DCA show, and yet my gut says that's all it will be. Great, more tourist trap, theme park-ey shows. Aladdin I'm looking at you. I pray and hope every day I'll be wrong. There is no reason this can't be deeper and smartly done. 

Knowing how my history of seeing shows lately, the ones I go into seeing expecting something great have fallen flat. I fear this will end up being the same. Of course that all could have been my already sky high expectations *coughhunchbackcough*  and when that happens, things do tend to be disappointing. 

As for audiences secretly wanting a new take (to a point anyway) is that REALLY true? The only people I see actually wanting this are the educated peeps who have always seen Frozen for what it is, a half baked, rushed film with plot and character problems everywhere. More and more people are seeing that, thank goodness, but those of us saying this have been FAR from secretive. We've been pretty vocal, and it seems they ARENT LISTENING. Some shows don't need much reworking because they're fine as is in terms of plot flow, they just need expanding and expounding. LK and B andB. Frozen needs a near complete rework because to just throw it on stage WILL.NOT.WORK. it will be completely awkward and campy if it is. DCA. That's all. 

And vampire musical, trust me we all know Taymor did Lion King, that's why many of us have said we think she should be doing this. But the assertion that she needs a clear cut story and to direct, not suddenly become 'writer' and then direct ala Spider-Man (shudder...) is VERY true. 

Liza's Headband
#106Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 10:59am

No. They're not cutting Olaf from the show. As of the last lab/presentation, he was in there and they've spent a considerable amount of time developing the technical and creative representation of the character... although I guess that could all be in jeopardy with Timbers now gone. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#107Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 5:11pm

Jason Sherwood has posted some designs for the Disney Cruise Line stage show. Looks like a decent improvement from the On Ice and theme park shows! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIpp1HOhNM4/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI1Dg3th1ND/

Sorry if already posted. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

JennH
#108Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 6:58pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Jason Sherwood has posted some designs for the Disney Cruise Line stage show. Looks like a decent improvement from the On Ice and theme park shows! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIpp1HOhNM4/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI1Dg3th1ND/

Sorry if already posted. 

"

I said the same actually when I saw the original video they posted. I'm already preferring these designs over DCA, although a friend who did see says somehow it works in person...ok. And what brief shot of costume designs I saw for this, looks better too. Please actually make Elsa look like a regal queen, not a school girl with a perfect fish tale braid who's cosplay failed/makes her look frumpy.

As for D on I, I did see that, and frankly to compare stage shows to ice shows is pointless. First priority is skaters need to skate, and their safety is first, so designs have to work around that. I almost have no opinion of those designs for that same reason. 

Needless to say, Since I'm already getting a better vibe from these designs, I intrigued indeed about how this will go. This already looks slightly more ambitious than DCA, and yet the DCL show is inherently/naturally speculated to be the least ambitious merely for being on a cruise ship and therefore less people will be able to see it. There's already a couple of stills that were in the original article announcement, and while I'm still wondering where the heck they came from (a friend is in it, so I know for fact they JUST started rehearsals, nor are those stills from the DCA show...) I already prefer those. The wig at least is improved. 

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#109Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 7:14pm

I hope that Disney hands the Broadway production to a female director. Because it is a woman's story (not saying a man cannot direct a woman's story look at "Wicked).

In fact I know there's a few haters on the board for this director but I would pick Kathleen Marshall to direct this, ya know if she was interested but who knows whoever they get to direct will be amazing!

Updated On: 8/8/16 at 07:14 PM

rodrigo_ca
#110Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:50pm

Thanks for the kind people who explained what I meant with "a cut Olaf".

JennH, I meant that people do want new take instead of an overbudgeted DCA show, they just don't know yet. But if they come and it's all innovative, I guess everyone will love it. If they simply stage the movie, it will be sucessful, yes, but once Frozen dies, it drags the show along.

Those actually claiming for a new vision instead of a staging of the movie are simply ten steps ahead in the evolution Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!

belrowley
#111Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:15am

Yeah, the costumes for the DCA show really look like cosplay/cheap Halloween costumes.

I wish they'd do something hi-tech and jaw-dropping like the dress Zac Posen designed for the Met Gala:

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!

AnnieBlack
#112Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:00pm

An opera gossip website reporting that Stefan Herheim is taking over as director of Frozen. Having seen two of his operas in Europe, this, if true, is ridiculously exciting news. 

http://parterre.com/2016/08/09/the-tony-never-bothered-me-anyway/

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#113Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/9/16 at 3:44pm

And he's Norewegian! He sounds great for it 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#114Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/9/16 at 3:45pm

I was just about to post this!  And, if true, this would be F'ing AMAZING!  I've seen a few of Herheim's productions in Europe (Rusulka twice in Brussles, Xerxes in Dusseldorf) and a few on video (Eugene Onegin, Meistersinger, and Queen of Spades): the guy is brilliant and his production team knows no bounds!

I haven't even seen the movie and I'm suddenly excited bout this project!  OH PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE.

AnnieBlack
#115Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:18pm

For the next few days, his Herheim's production of Queen of Spades from Netherlands is on line

http://www.theoperaplatform.eu/en/opera/tchaikovsky-queen-spades

Its amazing, and I would suggest watching a bit to get an idea of his aesthetic (let alone brilliance)

JennH
#116Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 3:30pm

rodrigo_ca said: "Thanks for the kind people who explained what I meant with "a cut Olaf".

JennH, I meant that people do want new take instead of an overbudgeted DCA show, they just don't know yet. But if they come and it's all innovative, I guess everyone will love it. If they simply stage the movie, it will be sucessful, yes, but once Frozen dies, it drags the show along.

Those actually claiming for a new vision instead of a staging of the movie are simply ten steps ahead in the evolution Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!

"

HAHA! We're evolved because we're EDUCATED! Laymen telling us about our business that we have an education in is like me telling my dentist about his. No one would ever question their dentist, so why do people insist on questioning out expertise when we give it/calling us 'elitists'? Actually the DCA show was UNDERbudgeted due to the Shanghai Resort...even it were overbudget those costumes (frankly the whole thing) would be better. Moving on...

As for Herheim, I don't pay nearly as much attention to the 'who's who' or events in opera like I used to, so I'd never heard of him until this, and I have to say I'm quite intrigued! If this is true, I'm surprised Disney will have gone with someone who almost no one outside this biz knows. His style/aesthetic seems to work, even a few people posted that same article on FB, so obviously this has good opinions from the educated masses. However, since he's an opera director who seemingly has never done a musical, will he understand what's needed? Not just for a musical, but understand the "Disney' style of whimsy? Not that it has to be overt, of course, a new take will not go amiss, but to completely go out of the box to where it becomes unrecognizable is another thing. People still love Disney for what it is, style wise. Plus, opera, due to their history of being about 'the singer/singing' they still tend to be on the undynamic/uninspired side when it comes to staging for the actors. Of course opera should still be somewhat about singing, that why operas were pretty much written, but I still want dynamic actor staging/business. That's the one thing I'd be nervous about. Tommy never saw the film before she was straight up offered the job...and look how that turned out. That's not to say if Herheim hasn't, that he would automatically NOT understand what's needed for it to work on stage, but that's usually how this happens, when a director doesn't know their material beforehand. This is expected of actors, why not directors? I REALLY want a director who sees what's needed to make it work, maybe he's it, maybe not, I don't know. I'm still doing research on his work. Sometimes fresh eyes work, sometimes they don't...we'll see. I will say, he'd bring a sense of authenticity as he's Norwegian himself, so I can get behind that for sure! I do like what I see of his work thus far.  I just can't stress enough, that any director who knows this needs reworking in terms of script and story needs to come FIRST. Then some creative designing and directing can come after.

Belrowley- I saw that picture back when the Gala happened!! I said the same dang thing! THAT'S what's needed! (Plus I want that gown...) And actually I have two videos for you, and actually for everyone for examples. Behold...

https://www.facebook.com/Disneyland/videos/10154230384055742/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13CTEAZJ8YY

The first is a video that was done RIGHT before the DCA show opened. The same video was actually released about a month before the show opened, but didn't have a visual of the 'black track' technology the man was talking about for when Anna freezes over. The same video was released again (except only on their FB page...hence why I'm hoping that link will work) but with visuals that time around...BUT...the visuals were of a look-a-like Elsa (not even a actress from the show itself...) who I guess was shanghaied to model it for video demonstration purposes. I'm guessing that was to not give away the 'Anna freezing' effect, but since the visual was of 'Elsa' I got excited and thought it was gonna be used for Elsa in those ways as well which could have been really cool. Obviously that didn't happen...AND IT TOTALLY COULD HAVE. They used a visual of something they didn't even use...boo. That starts at :45 seconds into the video. Watch it til the end, it's exactly the sort of thing that should have been/but still could be used for her costume change for Broadway, a mix of an Ivey Long "Cinderella' change mixed with that black track, could be SPECTACULAR and innovative. Mixed with the lights IN the costume ala Posen. I don't think anyone, myself included, will accept anything less than an AMAZING costume change for Elsa. Heavens knows I have no idea why the DCA one is being hailed as great...anyone with half a brain can figure out how it's done. Not only is it not innovative, but they feel like they have to black out for a few seconds to 'make it work' or be believable?? Just using the black out to hide something so uncreative, it proof enough that's it's NOT. 

The second video is a Japanese dance troupe who used black track to great effect and it's AMAZING! THAT'S how I've always seen her 'magic' happening, I just didn't know it until a saw that video a year or so ago. Lighting shenanigans. How can it NOT be like this?? And live black track at that. Lolz, another YT user changed the audio to Let it Go, just for the aesthetic of that magic happening with the song, in the original video they were dancing to something else. I just figured I'd link this one to 'prove' this is how 'ice magic' needs to happen on stage. And if you look at both videos REALLY closely, you'll see elements of the live black track used in the dance video also used in the Disneyland videos with those Elsa visuals. Brief but it's there. It's the way to go, I swear. Only possibly issue is that for the effect to be seen in any grand way, the stage would literally have to be somewhat devoid of other light/be darker and/or the set would have to be a pretty blank backdrop, no physical/layered set, otherwise it might be more obvious that it's a projection. Maybe? Heck from those DCL designs it looks like actual set pieces...but a video will be on the set pieces themselves? Just not a whole video wall? Video like that can be great, but I'd rather see it used to enhance. not be the whole darn setup/be most of the shows set design. If that video wall at DCA falters in anyway, there's temporarily no show 

Dang...heaven knows I want to direct it myself, cause I have such a idea and vision in my head how I see it and how I'd want it to go. Which probably means I'll just end up being really disappointed since I have such an idea and high expectations.

PlayEsq.-HOW have you escaped humanity by not seeing it... I'm not saying 'AAHHH YOU MUST!" cause heaven knows it isn't by any means a masterpiece (like my beloved 90's Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!, far from it, I'm just wondering how you managed to escape it for this long lolz! 

I care way too much...it's embarrassing.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#117Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 3:37pm

Would love it if Timbers posted his design/concept 

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#118Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 4:05pm

I hope that the rumor about Stefan Herheim directing "Frozen" is true and the fact that he's actually from Norway gives me great hope that he infuse some Norwegian culture into the show. At the same time however let's not forget that Francesca Zambello who helmed the Broadway production of "The Little Mermaid" also came from the world of opera and the show more or less bombed on Broadway, so I'm kinda worried that hiring an opera director to direct "Frozen" might give Disney another flop. But I think Disney probably learned their lesson from "Mermaid" and "Tarzan" and are striving for a high-quality production of "Frozen" (not like the DCA show).

JennH
#119Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 6:51pm

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) said: "I hope that the rumor about Stefan Herheim directing "Frozen" is true and the fact that he's actually from Norway gives me great hope that he infuse some Norwegian culture into the show. At the same time however let's not forget that Francesca Zambello who helmed the Broadway production of "The Little Mermaid" also came from the world of opera and the show more or less bombed on Broadway, so I'm kinda worried that hiring an opera directordirect "Frozen" might give Disney another flop. But I think Disney probably learned their lesson from "Mermaid" and "Tarzan" and are striving for a high-quality production of "Frozen" (not like the DCA show).

"

Everything you just said. It seems Herheim is more of a visionary willing to break the mold just a bit. Zambello on the other hand...well here's something to consider. Little Mermaid pretty much should never have been on stage to begin with. I can't think of any director who could have made it work, so the fact the LM didn't do well, isn't all on her. When adapting material for the stage, it has to already have that essence. It's intangible but it's there. Most Disney musical films have that essence, but it's to what degree and could that work on stage. LM and Tarzan may have been musical films, but just...didn't work on stage. They didn't have the stage essence already inherent in them as films. 

But overall I share your opinion that 'other hand' you mentioned. I had my reason for being skeptical but your reason spoke of something something thinking but couldn't put words to. I think Zambello is a good director, but when ANY director is given something to direct that just doesn't belong on stage to begin with, they'll look like an idiot when it's even all their fault. Actually I wonder about Zambello doing this...I think it could work better for her than LM did. Anyway...

Frozen has a stage essence about it, but not exactly as it currently exists. Ironic since the film was written to be one anyway, and yet as it is, it wouldn't work on stage... they always had that in mind, no one will convince me otherwise. But somehow that writing still ended up pretty much a failed script. I can't stress enough that it needs changing to be more linear than how it exists now as episodic. That's why the songs and whole thing  are so stagnant. They don't really move the plot in any meaningful way plus they LITERALLY sit on their own in the film. Almost every song just starts as if they're their own scenes, no lead in, they just start. That's BAD..unless a piece was written to BE that way like Next to Normal. I know that's not what Frozen was  going for but that's what it became and that's one of maaanny problems that will keep it from seeing it's true potential on stage. 

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#120Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 7:21pm

JennH said: "Frozen has a stage essence about it, but not exactly as it currently exists. Ironic since the film was written to be one anyway, and yet as it is, it wouldn't work on stage... they always had that in mind, no one will convince me otherwise. But somehow that writing still ended up pretty much a failed script. I can't stress enough that it needs changing to be more linear than how it exists now as episodic. That's why the songs and whole thing  are so stagnant. They don't really move the plot in any meaningful way plus they LITERALLY sit on their own in the film. Almost every song just starts as if they're their own scenes, no lead in, they just start. That's BAD..unless a piece was written to BE that way like Next to Normal. I know that's not what Frozen was going for but that's what it became and that's one of maaanny problems that will keep it from seeing it's true potential on stage"

I never thought of "Frozen" the movie as episodic but then again the fairytale that inspired it (The Snow Queen) was also episodic. Hopefully Jennifer Lee who co-directed the film and is writing the book/script for the stage production knows this and also knows what elements can and can't work for the stage.

Updated On: 8/10/16 at 07:21 PM

belrowley
#121Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/10/16 at 11:15pm

JennH, those videos are gorgeous! I agree that abstract is the way to go. They're never going to be able to precisely replicate the movie onstage - just like The Lion King didn't force the performers into literal lion costumes, the Frozen team really needs to think outside the box and make the show distinct from the film.

And yeah, that Zac Posen dress is really a dream. I kind of wish they took that approach on the live action Cinderella film as well, instead of the gaudy CGI mess they went with. I was way more wowed by William Ivey Long's creations when I saw the R+H production, but I personally prefer practical effects over digital ones.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#122Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/11/16 at 1:03am

I hope they cut the stupid trolls part and just focus on the main characters. 

Oak2
#123Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/11/16 at 3:00pm

I actually enjoy the original movie (but I'm a huge Disneyphile in general), though I acknowledge it has some flaws and definitely isn't anywhere near the best from Disney. However, I think a lot of the hate directed towards it is just as if not more overblown than the love nowadays. In any case, I wouldn't mind some changes to make the story better and to make it more interesting, but at the same time I wouldn't want them to make TOO many changes - if it goes too dark or abstract or something to the point that it doesn't even have the Disney magic anymore, that'll be a turn off, both to me and probably a lot of the masses. Of course, I'm probably a minority opinion on that since I actually enjoyed the Little Mermaid musical (at least the local theater group presentation of it I saw), and I'm extra-excited for Aladdin (especialy because that's my personal favorite Post-1966 Disney movie),

Seeing a Norwegian is directing it does make me excited, since I also hope there will be more culture infused into it. Regardless though, whatever they do it'll probably sell really well for at least the first year or so, pending on how long the Frozen craze still lasts. And I'll probably love it even if it is "tourist-trappy" :P

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#124Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/11/16 at 5:24pm

It was only a matter of time before Michael Riedel chimed in...
http://nypost.com/2016/08/11/frozen-on-broadway-is-years-away-and-theres-already-drama/