pixeltracker

MAME REVIVAL!!! Needs to happen!- Page 4

MAME REVIVAL!!! Needs to happen!

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#75MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/28/16 at 8:49am

Can Kristen Johnston sing? She did such an amazingly phenomenal job in a different Rosalind Russell role with THE WOMEN for Roundabout I think she'd be a fantastic Mame as well. If not in the musical perhaps in the play?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Jarethan
#76MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/28/16 at 3:00pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Jarethan said: "broadwayboy223 said: "What about Leslie Margerita? 

As what?

And the only people who have ever heard of her are on this site.  I don't even think Encores would cast her as Mame.  Maybe the Ogunquit Playhouse.  This is not to say she isn't talented; the second best Max Bialystok I ever saw was at Ogunquit.  Just not gonna get the lead role in a Broadway revival.

"

Mame. She certainly meets the dance requirements people seem to mention and she can sing.

"

Owen22
#77MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/28/16 at 5:25pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "@Jarethan, Harriett Harris played Vera.  I blocked her out, too!

I saw that production and actually thought the roles should have been reversed. I thought Harriet Harris would have been an imperfect but in-her-own-way delightful Mame and Baranski ideal as Vera.

"

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#78MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 3:19am

Bianca Del Rio as Vera. 

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#79MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:28am

Again, known only in our world-Marin Mazzie as Mame?

Jarethan
#80MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 2:24pm

theatregeek6 said: "Again, known only in our world-Marin Mazzie as Mame?

I'll bet as he could finally win a Tony award...as Vera.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#81MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 2:53pm

Mazzie is definitely a Vera. 

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#82MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 6:22pm

I have seen many actresses struggle valiantly and not being able to play Mame. Angela was perfection. Roz Russel was perfection.

I have sat through many productions of Mame and always leave disappointed and disgusted at the Mames. Angela set the bar high.  You would have to search long and far to find someone who can bring it the humor, class and panache of an Angela Lansbury.

Wrong for the role was Jane Morgan, Leslie Uggams, Morgan Brittany, Lucy and some horrid actress at Broward Stage Door in Coral Ridge Florida. I can't think of anyone who could do Mame that was menitoned except maybe Patti Lupone.  And even that is a stretch.

Cher was mentioned for a tv movie version. I don't even know what to think of that idea.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#83MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:11pm

LuPone??? I love me some Patti, but there's no way she is warm enough for Mame (nor could she dance it).  

Plus after Herman put the kibosh on her rumored revival of Hello Dolly a few years back (because it would not feature the original staging), I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed. 

Updated On: 8/29/16 at 10:11 PM

Jarethan
#84MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:18pm

goldenboy said: "I have seen many actresses struggle valiantly and not being able to play Mame. Angela was perfection. Roz Russel was perfection.

I have sat through many productions of Mame and always leave disappointed and disgusted at the Mames. Angela set the bar high.  You would have to search long and far to find someone who can bring it the humor, class and panache of an Angela Lansbury.

Wrong for the role was Jane Morgan, Leslie Uggams, Morgan Brittany, Lucy and some horrid actress at Broward Stage Door in Coral Ridge Florida. I can't think of anyone who could do Mame that was menitoned except maybe Patti Lupone.  And even that is a stretch.

Cher was mentioned for a tv movie version. I don't even know what to think of that idea.

The last Mame in the original Broadway engagement was Ann Miller, who was actually terrific in the role.  Hollywood doesn't make Ann Miller's anymore, so maybe a TV star would be a possibility.  Can Debra Messing can sing and dance?  She has the charisma to play the role and is great at comedy.  Or maybe, Julia Louis Dreyfus when Veep is finished.

ViniFromBrazil
#85MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:48am

Alice Ripley and her sidekick... forgot her name

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#86MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 2:59pm

Just for fun here is Juliet Prowse as Mame.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhVOnbQFGxo

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#87MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 3:15pm

MAME REVIVAL!!!

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#88MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 3:30pm

NOWaWarning said: "Bianca Del Rio as Vera. "

I'd watch this ^ based on above cartoon explanation.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#89MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:35pm

I think Patti can play warm easily. If given the chance, she would kill the part. I think a major production isn't in the cards for her (or for anyone, for that matter), but I can see her being perfect in the part. She certainly would bring the bona fide star power the show needs.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Jarethan
#90MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:42pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "I think Patti can play warm easily. If given the chance, she would kill the part. I think a major production isn't in the cards for her (or for anyone, for that matter), but I can see her being perfect in the part. She certainly would bring the bona fide star power the show needs.

I also think she could do the warm...she was warm in that TV series she did.  I don't think she could pull off the free-spirited, glamorousness of Mame, however, at this point.  She is too matronly.  

It is moot, also.  I assume she will be safely employed playing Helena Rubinstein for the next year or two, which could prove my not glamorous comment totally wrong...but, I did say free-spirited glamorousness.

Updated On: 8/30/16 at 05:42 PM

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#91MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/30/16 at 7:06pm

NOWaWarning said: "Bianca Del Rio as Vera. "

With RuPaul as Mame. 

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#92MAME REVIVAL!!!
Posted: 8/31/16 at 2:48pm

MAME REVIVAL!!!

Age aside, she could pull it off.  Nothing she can't do.