pixeltracker

MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA- Page 5

MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#100MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 12:50pm

I'm super impressed with the film except the close ups like everyone says. I noticed that at the end, Ellen was holding Tam, and in the previous version, it was always Engineer either holding him or holding his hands and not let Ellen or John touch him. That's a significant difference in the interpretation. I paid a close attention to this scene, and unfortunately, they didn't show it well until the end (darn the close up).

Does anyone remember the latter direction in the previous version of Miss Saigon?

HSky
#101MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 1:24pm

Dave28282 said: "I think that's because all Ellen's scenes are from the actual 25th anniversay performance. They did not invite her back a year later for the close ups (which they did a week before closing during the day, without an audience, lip-synching to the audio ofthe 25th performance, and they invited back Alistair Brammer and Rachelle ann go for these additional close-up shots, but not the actors for Ellen and Thuy)."

Thanks for the clarification, I had seen the references to pickup shots earlier in the thread, so part of me kept trying to guess which moments were part of the additional footage last night. 

"

Broadwaystar2
#102MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 1:34pm

South Florida said: "I have never seen the show until tonight.  I had an old CD that's long gone, and on that recording the words his wife sings when she was alone after meeting Kim I remember as being different.  Did anyone notice changes from the original?

"

There have been lyric changes 

irishgator1
#103MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 1:41pm

I saw it in the DC metro area; our theater was fairly full. I'd never been to a showing like this so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Ours also started late- maybe around 7.15ish. People clapped after numbers (if the actors can't hear you clap, is it really applause? cheeky) and shouted with delight during the gala portion.  The man next to me was really enjoying his popcorn, especially during quiet moments, and also was moaning happily whenever Alistair Brammer showed some chest. Heh.  I thought Ellen looked as though she could've been Chris' mom, not his wife.

The bar scene in the beginning actually made me feel a little dizzy; now I finally have some compassion for everyone who complained about Moulin Rouge's cinematography!  I too would've liked to have seen some wider shots to get more of a global feel for the action, but overall, I really enjoyed it a lot.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#104MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 1:43pm

Another random thing I noticed was at the very end when all the original cast came out and stood in line, did I see Ruthie Henshall? Or it was a different actress? I looked her up and she is listed as "Bar girl" so she was an ensemble at that time? Kinda funny more non-Asian were performing Asian roles at that time. I noticed Thuy was also played by non-Asian in the original cast. 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#105MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 1:52pm

^^ yes that was Ruthie. Don't forget Jonathan Pryce as well as one of the non-Asian actors portraying Asian (or half-Asian) characters. I don't know the exact number, but PLENTY of the Asian ensemble was played by caucasians in the original runs.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#106MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 2:01pm

I don't think it was "plenty." I've been googling for a full original London cast list, and it seems to be a little scarce. But from memory -- in the ensemble, I don't think there was anyone except Ruthie and one of the Tams. 

In the US, the white bar girl role (Ellen understudy since there wasn't a standby) became the "army nurse," which made a lot more sense and used less yellowface.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SporkGoddess
#107MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 2:07pm

Wasn't Jon Jon Briones also in the ensemble?

In the tour I saw years ago (2004-ish?) Ellen takes Tam's hand at the end.

Edited to add back my previous comment because Lizzie is too quick for me MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 9/23/16 at 02:07 PM

LizzieCurry
#108MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 2:09pm

He was in the ensemble (I found that elusive cast list!)

https://www.amazon.com/Salonga-Jonathan-Premiere-Souvenir-Program/dp/B00WKO6NZ0

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#109MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 2:54pm

The closeups were too much: it looked like Kim and Chris were eating each other's mouths.

I still really hate the lyric changes to SUN AND MOON and especially I STILL BELIEVE.  "One and the same you and I" makes no sense for two people who are from two completely different cultures and Kim's verse in I STILL BELIEVE should just revert to the original lyrics.  "Silence of my secret tears"?  Yuck.

I saw the West End production last November and Eva's voice was already giving out.  She was consistently flat, but here either she was in good voice or/and the sound engineers did a really good job.  For that matter, the choral numbers sounded really amazing.  But Eva was lacking as Kim.  Onstage she was fine but here where there are closeups galore, she barely made any facial expressions.  I was waiting for her transformation from the naive 17-year old to the protective 20-year old mother and it never showed onscreen.  So that was disappointing.

Folks who haven't should check out the full Manila production that I think is on the net.  Lea Salonga's facial expressions alone are worth it.

Updated On: 9/23/16 at 02:54 PM

SporkGoddess
#110MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 3:07pm

Yeah, I disliked about 90% of the lyric changes. Some were better but most of them weren't. 

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#111MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 3:53pm

Had a great time last night and loved it for the most part. That Gigi is sensational.  The Engineer was superb. The Kim was ok but no Salonga for sure That Encore seemed poorly planned and a bit long winded.  Also hate Ellen's new song.   

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 9/23/16 at 03:53 PM

ebontoyan
#112MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 4:10pm

Gigi=Rachelle Ann Go from the Philippines. She is currently Fantine in the West End production of Les Miz

Posner11
#113MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 6:05pm

Ok was not expecting the outflow of joy and praise for the show so sounds like they have done a good job with the filming and captured some of the power of the show which was missing when I saw it in London. 

Not read any comments about about accents but bar the engineer the board seem to agree the cast is nowhere as strong as the originals or previous touring casts 

The missing curtain call seems odd (if I read correctly) as this was very drawn out affair and ended with them grandstanding for seemly ages before the final curtain came down.

How long is the "gala" bit of it with the original stars

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#114MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 6:18pm

The issue with the new lyrics is that I can understand why they made changes, if you think about the originals that have been replaced the new ones DO make more sense, but lack any flow or rhythm in comparison. 

The gala finale bit was around exactly a half hour. I didn't interpret it as them cutting the curtain call directly after the finale, but rather that the finale was all part of an extended curtain call.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Alessio2
#115MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 6:35pm

Attended a screening in LA last night in Century City! Loved it so much, including the close ups so many on here are complaining about. The theater was pretty much sold out and the sound was perfect. My one complaint was the woman who played Ellen really did look more like Chris's mom than his wife, and I absolutely despised her new song Maybe....what was wrong with Her or Me/Now That I've seen her or whatever its called??

broadwayghost1
#116MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 6:59pm

I noticed that row C in the orchestra is available for almost every performance on Broadway. 

LizzieCurry
#117MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 7:57pm

Alessio2 said: "what was wrong with Her or Me/Now That I've seen her or whatever its called??"

Those are (mostly) two different songs, so those are what they're called. Or were.

Updated On: 9/23/16 at 07:57 PM

Alessio2
#118MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 8:18pm

LizzieCurry said: "Alessio2 said: "what was wrong with Her or Me/Now That I've seen her or whatever its called??"

Those are (mostly) two different songs, so those are what they're called. Or were.

They're mostly different songs but used the same melodies didn't they? I just think either one is far superior to the craptastic Maybe!

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#119MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 8:19pm

Chris is made out like a good guy.  A reluctant soldier who goes from you "can buy me a beer", to "who's that girl".  He's so enamored with this 17 year old virgin that he begins to protect her from the bad guys, only to end up doinking her anyway. He didn't have to.  Not a good guy to me.

Stephanatic

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#120MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 8:46pm

The only part of the Encore I really enjoyed was Salonga using it as an excuse to make out with both Chris'. She and the  new Chris were really into each other. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#121MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 8:49pm

Slut

Stephanatic

BWNUT
#122MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 8:53pm

Alessio2 said: "LizzieCurry said: "Alessio2 said: "what was wrong with Her or Me/Now That I've seen her or whatever its called??"

They're mostly different songs but used the same melodies didn't they? I just think either one is far superior to the craptastic Maybe!

I liked Maybe. It made me feel more sympathetic to Ellen. She came across as less selfish and a "nicer" person than the other Ellen's I've seen . The song implies that she's considering the possibility  that maybe Chris married her out of confusion and depression and Kim is his real true love. Maybe. It added depth and shading to her character. 

"

LizzieCurry
#123MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 9:08pm

South Florida said: "Chris is made out like a good guy.  A reluctant soldier who goes from you "can buy me a beer", to "who's that girl".  He's so enamored with this 17 year old virgin that he begins to protect her from the bad guys, only to end up doinking her anyway. He didn't have to.  Not a good guy to me."

Yeah, part of why I didn't bother to go see this last night! Although if I can get comps to the revival...

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#124MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA
Posted: 9/23/16 at 9:21pm

Alessio2 said: "LizzieCurry said: "Alessio2 said: "what was wrong with Her or Me/Now That I've seen her or whatever its called??"

"

I doubt many people will be sympathetic with Ellen when there's "If it all comes down to her or me. I don't care, I swear I will fight."