This Is Us

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#25This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:04pm

I've found both episodes worth a re-visit.  I've been able to watch them both live (I'd seen the pilot back in the Spring), but also watched my recording after the broadcast.   It's so interesting to go back and look for 'clues'.

I love the way this is unfolding and the way they use the episodes to set up the next.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:08pm

One thing that I am confused about, though - When did a full network season become only 18 episodes?

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#27This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:48pm

Jordan Catalano said: "One thing that I am confused about, though - When did a full network season become only 18 episodes?

The total episodes considered a full network "season" has really dwindled over the years. I think it hovers around 13-20 now. What's truly aggravating are the now pre-requisite mid season finales. When did this become a thing? 

Back in the 1960's a full season of any given show consisted of about 25-30 episodes. Some episodes topped off at 35, except for a series like "Peyton Place" which aired year round without reruns or a summer break. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#28This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:57pm

Interesting to note that although Milo & Mandy aren't together, she's still wearing his necklace.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#29This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:12pm

The scheduling revisions (full season, mid-season, partial season) have evolved to keep up with consumer behavior.   

As people are rapidly changing the ways they consume media (watch TV), the networks are programming to retain interest and viewership.   A 'season' that runs without interruption for even 8 - 10 episodes is more desirable than a season which begins in the Fall, ends in the Spring but has interruptions or repeats throughout the year.   Some shows are only Fall or Spring season shows.  Some have mid-season finales and then pick up again - without repeats - to air a continuation of the story line in the Spring.  

Given the way non-commercial TV is programmed, the networks have to find scheduling tactics to compete.  They've seen success (despite viewership fragmentation) over the last few years with this approach.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#30This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:14pm

ps - back in the 60s viewing options were very limited.  It's an entirely different video landscape these days.

You still have year-round original series in Daytime.  But the model in Primetime has changed as our options have grown faster than we can track.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:25pm

Tag said: "Interesting to note that although Milo & Mandy aren't together, she's still wearing his necklace.

That's another thing that makes me think he's died.  

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#32This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 4:36pm

Hopefully we see Segal again (although she apparently was only a guest star).  

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#33This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:15pm

Thanks for that information NYadgal. When you factor in on demand, cable networks, online and streaming options it really does make sense. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#34This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:16pm

Thank you for starting this thread, I hadn't heard of the show. So watched the first two episodes based on comments on this thread and totally love it. Very well done and engaging.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#35This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 8:25pm

I love everything about this show.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#36This Is Us
Posted: 9/28/16 at 11:13pm

I loved it as well. A wonderful concept. I do think however (and I could care less) think it will not be a ratings blockbuster.....just cause family type dramas no matter how well done tend to sit in the middle of the ratings chart....And it was no surprise that Ken Olin was directing.....

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#37This Is Us
Posted: 9/29/16 at 12:36pm

So far it's been the top-rated new show on Network TV.

It's been picked up for the full season.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#38This Is Us
Posted: 9/29/16 at 12:42pm

I'm waiting for it to be a few episodes in before I watch. Heard nothing but great things about it.  And I miss my Jess from Gilmore Girls.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

hork Profile Photo
hork
#39This Is Us
Posted: 10/1/16 at 1:49pm

I enjoyed the first episode, but that second episode was just painfully bad. Dan Fogelman's dialogue continues to be some of the worst in the business ("I think she created Deadpool ... or was it Hamilton? I always get those two confused." BWAHAHAHA!). I was hoping for a good family drama a la Brothers and Sisters, but this is already trite. I'm done.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#40This Is Us
Posted: 10/1/16 at 2:22pm

I didnt think the 2nd episode was as good either...not bad enough to say good bye, I'll give it another chance.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SmoothLover
#41This Is Us
Posted: 10/4/16 at 10:24pm

The character of the actor is a difficult one...so far so good but I will be interested to see where it goes..to see howw much we co time cariing... 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#42This Is Us
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:31pm

I've watched the first three episodes and Im on the fence. It's a quality show, but much of the dialogue feels inauthentic-not like how real people would speak. It's elevated in a way that takes me out of the scenes. I can't put my finger on it. The show works best during montages with music. They have gotten down the visual aspect and it is very moving. 

I think the most grounded and moving story is the African American family. It is the most human, drawn out and the best acted.

I agree with those who are critical of how the show has written the overweight characters. They are completely focused on their weight and either comment or joke about it every episode. Kate's boyfriend, who started out as a breath of fresh air has quickly gotten cloying and annoying. He's very one note and way too earnest. If I were Kate I'd be completely irritated. 

As far as the actor. Completely not interested. No idea how they are setting him up, but I have no idea who he is and no empathy. 

I think Milo and Mandy are great, but they aren't given much to do. 

I'm also not a fan of the current trend of wanting to put a reveal in every episode. This seems to be a newer thing, possibly because viewers are so fickle and impatient now. They don't give shows time to build slowly. I'd prefer more character development and realisitic dialogue than provocative twists. 

I do enjoy the show but I find it a little unrealistic for a family drama. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SmoothLover
#43This Is Us
Posted: 10/15/16 at 8:17am

I thought the third episode was very touching.

Wilmingtom
#44This Is Us
Posted: 10/22/16 at 11:28pm

I'm really liking it.  I think the concurrent timelines device is original and fascinating.  The heavyset characters don't both me as they do some.  They met in a support group for heavy people so it makes sense that, at this point, that's the common ground they share.  Hopefully their relationship will develop past that as she becomes more comfortable in her own skin and he doesn't have to push so hard to win her over. We're only three episodes in so I'll give everyone, including Fogelman, a chance to get their feet on the ground.  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#45This Is Us
Posted: 10/25/16 at 2:32am

currently on the third episode after starting this show tonight and I'm absolutely loving it. I was blindsided by the twist at the end of episode 1 and thought it was genius (i kept thinking, wow! what a coincidence all these strangers have the same birthday!). looking forward to the rest of the season!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#46This Is Us
Posted: 10/26/16 at 2:39pm

Randall's idea of a romantic night out is hamburgers in bed, House Hunters on TV, and Florence Foster Jenkins on pay per view. Gotta love him.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#47This Is Us
Posted: 10/26/16 at 2:57pm

I really want to start seeing Beth's origin story and flashbacks!

SmoothLover
#48This Is Us
Posted: 10/30/16 at 1:44pm

I really don't like the idea that Jack is dead. I know we will continue to see the character prior to his death but given he is the most likeable character I wish he was still alive.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#49This Is Us
Posted: 11/1/16 at 1:21am

Denis O'Hare is joining the show in a recurring role as a friend of William.